Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

WT NolaN   3240   WT NolaN   Zoooky  

Member  Message

WT NolaN
View Profile

Substrate and Water bowl idea

Hey friends, I was once told that some individuals use soils from homedepot. If any of yall do this could someone refer me to a safe name brand that I should get for my enclosure? I know once the play sand is sifted through a strainer it can be safe to use! Also I was thinking of an easier way to provide a large amount of clean H2O available to my monitor with out having to slave everyday by doing complete water changes and cleanings... I know our lizzard friends can expel quite the amount of proteins but has anybody ever attempted an external sump with canister filter,protein skimmer, uv sterilizer, carbon reactor and other media? Or has any body ever tried any kind of filtering on these huge watering holes? Idea? Any responses would be greatly appreciated thanks! Hope yall have a great day and a better week!

06/28/15  04:44pm

View Profile

Message To: WT NolaN   In reference to Message Id: 2314069

I use Home Depot top soil mixed with Home Depot play sand. I also add coco peat. Holds moisture and burrows well. You do not have to strain the sand or dirt.

Filtration just doesn’t work well. Monitors produce too much solid waste.

07/01/15  11:49pm

WT NolaN
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2314127

Thanks, sorry I always was told to sift the homedepot sand for the animals up at work due to finding almost dime sized chunks of rock every once in a while!

Dang well I bet the zoos probably have something like a garbage disposal incorporated in their filter systems for their large monitor/crocodilian enclosures.

07/02/15  07:30am

Zoooky
View Profile

Message To: WT NolaN   In reference to Message Id: 2314129

Your best bet is to get some sort of sink/tub with the drain(add a drain) to use as his water dish this will allow you to drain it when it’s dirty

12/02/15  10:22pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area