Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

James!   Takahiro111   James!   Takahiro111   Ctan90   Takahiro111   Yellowfellows   GrechRN   JulianaBurrows  

Member  Message

James!
View Profile

Fleas in the house, need to bomb it, any suggestions for big cage I cant move??

Got 2 dogs living here and a 3rd that’s here now and then, well the 3rd dog brought fleas into the house and even after flea baths and powdered flea killer for the carpet they are still prominent, only thing left to get rid of them is aerosol flea bombs...

Well I have a big 6x3x3 enclosure with about 40 gallons of dirt and 200lbs. of sand mixed in, can’t really move that thing out of the house so what are my options? My quince can stay at my friend’s house until it’s safe to return but what about the enclosure? I’ll try to seal it off as best as possible with plastic dropcloth or garbage bags... But I’m still nervous that the flea killer might get inside and pose a potential heath risk for my quince. If it did penetrate, will it be okay if I air it out for a day or two?

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as the other housemates are just about done dealing with these fleas and are ready to bomb the house this weekend...

09/08/14  08:02pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: James!   In reference to Message Id: 2309562

Okay so buy some black garbage bags and duck tape....bag the enclosure and I mean the whole thing and tape it good don’t leave any openings,holes anything....put the dirt in a seperate bag tie or tape it good....can you take it outside if that’s a possible option??

09/08/14  10:20pm

James!
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309568

There’s 200 lbs. of sand, probably at least 200 lbs. of dirt, and the enclosure itself is about 125 lbs. Plus it needs to be stood on end to get through the door and around the corner, so taking the whole thing outside isn’t an option... I’ll try to seal it off as best as possible though.

09/09/14  12:25am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: James!   In reference to Message Id: 2309570

Okay...hope everything works out

09/09/14  12:15pm

Ctan90
View Profile

I don’t know if it’s safe for animals but when I got fleas real bad bug bombs wouldn’t work, poison, powdered poison, etc. The only thing that I found that worked was 1:1 ratio of salt and baking soda and swept it down into my carpet. It dries them and their eggs out. I did that and within a week no fleas and haven’t gotten them back since.

09/24/14  05:46am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ctan90   In reference to Message Id: 2309908

Omg seriously....this helped cuz I have dogs.

09/24/14  10:34am

Yellowfellows
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309909

Im sure im late with this reply, however in case you or anyone else runs into this or a similar problem in the future you can use this. Two words... diatomaceous earth!!! Look it up, it works wonders I swear by it. All natural, non poisons to humans, dogs, reptiles or any other animals you may have in the house. You can sprinkle it around the house and apply it directly to your dogs or even put it in their food or water to be ingested to get rid of any intestinal parasites. Just be sure to buy (100% food grade) not the stuff from home depot, they put poisons additives in theirs.

11/10/14  10:29am

GrechRN
View Profile

the fleas could have got in and lay eggs already
clean it out clean with vinegar wipe out and bag with a large plastic bag or two
keep the bags on when you fog

04/02/16  08:57pm

JulianaBurrows
View Profile

Flea bath is not an absolute solution for flea removal. Along with this it would be better to give some medication so that it can kill all the adult fleas and can break their reproduction cycle. I have been using https://www.petcarerx.com/capstar-flea-killer/12652 from a very long time and found the results quite effective. The main thing you need to look into this is to prevent flea multiplication then only you can get rid of these dirty creepers.

03/13/17  10:39pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area