Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mason12   Mxracer   Mason12   Varanus_odom   Mason12   Krusty   Infernalis  

Member  Message

Mason12
View Profile

Awesome Basking Stacks

This is a post i found on the reptile report about this basking stack that has a range of different temps in each slot that allows your monitor to choose their preferred temp. Im thinking of trying this out

Link

08/15/12  07:11pm

Mxracer
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2276919

Awesome Basking Stacks

People call them retes stack’s cause im pretty sure FR came up with the idea. they work good for smaller species like ackies and other dwarf monitors, but not so well for larger species.

08/15/12  07:16pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Mxracer   In reference to Message Id: 2276920

Awesome Basking Stacks

Yeah retes stacks is what their called. Pretty cool concept.. it would work for my baby sav for the time being but true def wouldnt work too well for larger monitors unless you could make it big enough

08/15/12  07:22pm

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2276922

Awesome Basking Stacks

Not practical for a large monitor, even if bigger. You should have an enclosure setup to already offer a wide range of temps for a large monitor.

08/15/12  07:42pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2276926

Awesome Basking Stacks

I’m not saying i dont have a wide range of temps already, cuz i do, just like this idea thought it was pretty cool.
Wouldn’t use it for a bigger monitor totally agree

08/15/12  08:13pm

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2276931

Awesome Basking Stacks

That concept actually started a long time ago with snake keepers as wild snakes are famous for hiding in scrap tin and wood piles layered like that, but use of them with thin wood and Monitor lizards was shown to REALLY do well with Frank Retes in the 90’s and he kinda standarized it with his trough cages and wood like that so he could produce a lot of Monitors in a cheap, repeatable way. Bury the stacks into deep dirt and make them tight fitting if you use them. Don’t make a Jenga block thingy that is open and dry.

08/17/12  10:09am

Infernalis
View Profile

Message To: Mxracer   In reference to Message Id: 2276920

Awesome Basking Stacks

Quote:

People call them retes stack’s cause im pretty sure FR came up with the idea. they work good for smaller species like ackies and other dwarf monitors, but not so well for larger species.

Frank did NOT come up with that idea, Stacks were already in use in Europe before Mr. narcissist decided to attach his name to it.

Success, Ha! cheers to you sir.

08/28/12  10:01pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area