Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Seb&Robin   Milkweed666   Seb&Robin   Varanus_odom   Seb&Robin   Dillonh24   Seb&Robin  

Member  Message

Seb&Robin
View Profile

New Baby Sav!!!

So Im usually just on the Iguana forum but the other day my bf and I got a baby savannah monitor and named him louie. For all you monitor people who don’t know us we have lots off reptiles and used to handling biggers ones. But anyway he is doing great so far, showing some aggression and eating lots.

Since this is our first monitor I thought I would ask for lots of input from you guys to help us out a bit.
I do have some questions.
I know they like to be on soil so they have stuff to dig in, but what would be the best type to put in his enclosure and we have extra coconut substrate from eco earth. would that work?
Also I know they like water but he doesn’t seem to pay any attention to his water bowl at all?
Anywas, if you guys have any cool tips or anything like that please pass them on I am open to all suggestions.

06/28/12  11:54am

Milkweed666
View Profile

Message To: Seb&Robin   In reference to Message Id: 2271478

New Baby Sav!!!

First thing is get the rocks out asap and shovel in some regular backyard dirt. (If the dirt is pestcide and chemical free). Atleast 6 inches deep. Id get on that. Rocks r all bad

06/28/12  12:49pm

Seb&Robin
View Profile

Message To: Milkweed666   In reference to Message Id: 2271483

New Baby Sav!!!

yeah he is on soil now :D that was just a temporary bedding with sand. But he has his soil bedding now and seems to love it :D
Thanks
Robin.

06/28/12  01:14pm

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: Seb&Robin   In reference to Message Id: 2271485

New Baby Sav!!!

Robin, also get started on a proper monitor enclosure and throw the fish tank out ASAP.

Link

06/28/12  03:09pm

Seb&Robin
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2271500

New Baby Sav!!!

thanks for the link, the cage is only temporary we already have a larger home built one that he will be in by the end of the week hopefully. its 4x2x3 I will post a pic of him in it when we get it all set up:D

06/28/12  04:05pm

Dillonh24
View Profile

Message To: Seb&Robin   In reference to Message Id: 2271510

New Baby Sav!!!

When you say you are used to handling bigger reptiles, does that mean you plan to handle him as you do all the others?

06/28/12  05:40pm

Seb&Robin
View Profile

Message To: Dillonh24   In reference to Message Id: 2271521

New Baby Sav!!!

No not near as much, I just have a lot of reptile experience. I have a 4 foot female iguana and a younger male plus 2 bearded dragons. He will be left in his enclosure to eat and digg around and we will be watching him but he wont be on our shoulders walking around like we do with our other reptiles that for sure. I know they get very stressed from handeling

06/28/12  05:49pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area