Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SalvatorREX   3240   Millinex   Daryl-   Mdf   Varanus_odom   SalvatorREX   `   Freak696   SalvatorREX   Krusty   `  

Member  Message

SalvatorREX
View Profile

New enclosure

i got a new enclosure , i came across it for free! so i couldnt turn it away. it was built for a green iguana.. and obviously that wont do for a monitor... im thinking about putting my salvator in it.. so the question i have here is. what should i use to patch the mesh on the front?? plexiglass ?? or is it something thats easier to cut to the demensions that i need. other than wood. because i want to see through the cage atleast a little bit so i dont wana patch the whole cage with wood.. and the plexiglass never seems to cut right with me. or it allways cracks as im drilling it to the frame...lol so any suggestions. on keeping the heat in.
HERE IS THE CAGE ( 6Lx5Hx3D)

AND THESE ARE JUST SOME PHOTOS OF THE WATERMONITOR , I TOOK A FEW WEEKS AGO
Alot of people say my sav is looking to be a girl at 24 inches, when i posted pics. so how is my water lookin at 24 inches?? Male or Female??

06/06/12  06:11pm

View Profile

Message To: SalvatorREX   In reference to Message Id: 2269059

New enclosure

It’s going to be tough to make that work for a variety of reasons. Especially for a water monitor. Heating is going to be a challenge and it won’t hold any humidity. There’s also no place for substrate.

Honestly, I don’t even think that it’s worth modifying.

06/06/12  10:35pm

Millinex
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2269091

New enclosure

I could see it modified heavily for an indicus but not a salvator.

06/07/12  10:19am

Daryl-
View Profile

New enclosure

The only way I see it working is by taking off the front and putting in solid bit of wood with a window. That is if the mesh is only at the front and nowhere else on the cage.

06/07/12  10:44am

Mdf
View Profile

New enclosure

the box part is there, is the inside box up to taking extremes of high humidity & heat?

if so i’d rip the front off & rebuild the front how i wanted it:)

06/07/12  03:44pm

Varanus_odom
View Profile

New enclosure

Not any substrate in either of those enclosures... and the iguana cage you bought isn’t going to be able to withstand the pressure of all the substrate you need. You’ll have to reinforce it big time on the bottom half and cover up the exposed screen with plexi or windows because right now it’s a monitor beef jerky machine!... and even if you do all of this it will only last that water monitor a year. Not worth it in my opinion. Good luck!

06/07/12  04:35pm

SalvatorREX
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2269149

New enclosure

yea i already put lights in it with nothing over the mesh and the ambient reached 75 degrees. i used a 250 wat and a 150 watt on one end (both infared) and the basking spot i used 2 150 watts about 10 inches above the spot and it reached 120 and over the would be water dish i used 3 100 watt bulbs and the surrounding area reache 75 degrees , but i had to cover the A/C vent in the room to make that work... and i agree its not going to hold humidity or substrate.. so i dont think im going to use it.. but i dont wat to trash it either... and at the same time i want to make the adjustments that was suggested but by the time i do that , i will spend enough to build a new one from scratch.... so i guess ill have to dump it.. but thanks. for the advise... and oh yea i know that it’ll only hold the water for about a year which is exactly the reason i got it because i need a temp cage that’ll last em a year.. because im moveing next year.. and the other pic he was in a fish tank that my sister had a skink in. and we put him in there to eat/hunt some earthworms we had in the soil. but thanks for the info.

06/07/12  08:27pm

`
View Profile

New enclosure

What kind of water monitor is that?

06/17/12  12:18am

Freak696
View Profile

Message To: `   In reference to Message Id: 2270259

New enclosure

Water monitor I dont know what local

06/17/12  12:33am

SalvatorREX
View Profile

Message To: `   In reference to Message Id: 2270259

New enclosure

the pet store i got him from, wasnt really sure .. and his spots to me dont really look like the sumatran patterns. he has alot of yellow in him when he’s basking. or when he’s in the hot part of the enclosure. and his spots dont have the open circle blotches that the sumatrans have he has a couple thats open and the rest are solid. and in between the rows of blothes he has tiny yellow blotches. (like frekles) all over his body. and sometimes it looks like you can see yellow speckles. that are trying to come in on the back of his neck.. so im not sure of the locality 100% but . i just stick to sumatra for now. and alot of the water monitors they get in have almost goldish/oranges spots instead of yellow .

06/17/12  02:09am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: SalvatorREX   In reference to Message Id: 2270265

New enclosure

Varanus salvator macromaculatus there. People commonly call them "Sumatrans", and that is one of the places they’re commonly collected from, but they come from a handful of islands/locations in SE Asia and are fairly widespread.

Link

06/17/12  09:23am

`
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2270279

New enclosure

Thanks for enlightening me. I now know what i own, heh.

06/17/12  11:49am

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area