Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mason12   Mason12   Mason12   Savannahmonitorlover   Milkweed666   Mason12   Norf   Daryl-   Mason12   Mason12   Daryl-   Norf   Mason12   Varanus_odom   Mason12   Aragarnn   Mason12   Adam L   Varanus_odom   Krusty   Mdf   Mason12   Mason12   Mdf   Mason12  

Member  Message

Mason12
View Profile

New Baby Sav and homemade cage

Here is a few pics i took after first placing my new guy in his new homemade enclosure 4x2x2

let me know what you think

05/23/12  06:57pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2267428

im getting the big plastic water tub from the pet store in a lil bit btw lol

05/23/12  07:01pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2267432

Extra info:

Substrate- Part Peat Moss & part soil

Temps- 120 on tip cinder block(basking spot) 85-90 on ground around the cinder block on warm side. Cool side 75

05/23/12  07:30pm

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2267435

More hides also the top should have been solid with the lamps screwed into the to hold heat and humidity in . But congrats I have a little one right now to . But good luck

05/23/12  09:39pm

Milkweed666
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2267446

I’d flip it sideways so the opening is in the front, slap some plexy glass over the holes, with small door hinges maybe to open, put the light inside. U probly want a dam infront of the door to get deep enough substrate (if u choose to do it this way). More hides. What kind of bulb r u using? Looks good tho. Open tops let all the humidity out is the reason for all what i wrote.

05/23/12  10:20pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Milkweed666   In reference to Message Id: 2267457

I rearranged things and Ive added some more hides and a new basking rock and also got the water tub in there too.
And Im using a 75w Zoo Med halogen bulb i was thinking i should have got a 100w...

but anyway here are the pics

im gonna add possibly another half log hide next to the water dish

added this lil badass lock to keep him in when he gets a lil bigger lol

looking any better?

05/24/12  01:41am

Norf
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2267463

Looks too plain still.
Add fake plants/shrubbery. It’ll give the enclosure more life and different textures for the monitor to scratch around at.

05/24/12  03:13am

Daryl-
View Profile

Message To: Norf   In reference to Message Id: 2267466

Get rid of the screen and like Milkweed suggested, put some plexiglass in its place. Currently there is no way you are keeping the right temperatures which is shown by the dried out soil.

Not a bad start though!

05/24/12  03:45am

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Daryl-   In reference to Message Id: 2267467

Ill put in a lil more logs or something but im not trying to make it look like one of those elaborate enclosures, im a more practical guy and am more concerned with the temps and humidity. But more hides is what im gonna work on today. but no plants that is pointless to me, they’ll just get toppled over later down the line.

05/24/12  03:48pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2267505

But the plexi glass is a great idea. I might add that to the cool side but i need to have some screen to put the heat lamp on.

I covered the cool side with plywood to keep heat and humidity in until i get the plexiglass

05/24/12  03:55pm

Daryl-
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2267507

You still need to cover up the screen as any roof ventilation will literally deplete any heat or humidity in the cage. All you need to do is find a place that will put a circle in the plexiglass the same size as your fixture, or what I sometimes do it get some expanded polystyrene, lay that over the screen and hack out a hole for the light to fit into. It doesn’t look as good but does the job bloody well!

05/24/12  04:20pm

Norf
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2267505

Obtaining and maintaining proper temps and humidity levels is mandatory. It’s not something only practical guys do. I understand that plants may be pointless and inconvenient to you but at the very least the monitor will be able to keep itself entertained.
How long are planning on keeping the sav in there for?
I don’t see anything protecting he wood from the soil. Are you aware that the moisture in the soil will rot the wood and deem your cage useless?

05/24/12  07:22pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Norf   In reference to Message Id: 2267543

Yeah Daryl im gonna look around for somewhere that can help me cut the hole in the plexi to fit the fixure. Thats a really good idea!. but your polyester thing..... ha umm idk bout that lol.

And Norf perhaps i might get a fake cactus. And I didn’t think about the soil rotting the wood before I was
all excited and just dumped it all in lol. But i’m only planning on keeping this cage for like 8 months to a year then I’m building a 6x4x4.

05/24/12  07:47pm

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2267428

Where to start... :-(

Daryl advised you to use plexi to cover the area where you have screen but you will STILL be letting heat/humidity rapidly escape out of the lamp fixture itself. It needs to be mounted inside. If you want ventilation, put small vent near substrate level (not top).

The Bad:

-Screen top allows rapid heat/humidity loss
-Heat lamp should be low wattage halogen flood bulb
-Bulbs should be mounted INSIDE the enclosure (throw the silver lamp fixture out)
-Enclosure should have been sealed and protected (it will rot, fast)

The Good:

You have a small box put together already. Dump every thing out, put your monitor in a temporary spot for a couple hours, flip the enclosure so that the TOP becomes the front and build a substrate wall so that the substrate doesn’t spill out when you open it from the front. Cover the screen with plexi so you aren’t getting rapid loss out of the front. Mount ceramic fixtures inside the enclosure so you can plug a couple low wattage halogens into them and voila. Put substrate back in, furnishings, etc. and throw him in his (still temporary) enclosure.

Good luck!

05/24/12  07:56pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2267551

Okay so first of all that seems like a hell of alot of work lol
How do you know plexi glass will let the heat out? and if so realistically how much...? certainly a lot less than the screen so there’s some improvement right?

05/24/12  08:18pm

Aragarnn
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2267557

the plexi is thinner than wood. thats what it really comes down to. and if its on top the heat rises and is absorbed by that. same with the lamp just sitting on top. if its inside, much less humidity and heat is let out. but yes it is improvement over just mesh. theyre just helping you and the monitor. and trust me, to do things right, intially it is a hell of a lot of work lol did someone tell you different??

05/24/12  08:25pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Aragarnn   In reference to Message Id: 2267559

So my sav died a couple days ago:/ i found him on his back in the water tub whitney houston style smh.

But the good news is I redid my enclosure and got rid of the whole top and made a new one with plexi glass look-ins and the light fixture inside the cage. I also added more soil and its way better.

05/31/12  12:12am

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2268240

Sorry to hear that. When I first got my baby I found him on his side in the water bowl and thought he had drowned but luckily when I reached in to pull him out he walked away. I wonder how he managed to get flipped over in his water.

05/31/12  09:21am

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Sucks to hear that, Mason...

Regarding the plexi glass on top, I wasn’t saying the heat will rapidly escape from a solid top. But with the way you had it, the heat/humidity would have had easy access to escape out of the heat lamp that was sitting on top of the enclosure - or the areas in between. That’s why it’s best to mount fixtures inside the enclosure (as you’ve now done).

Good job, and of course hope the next one sticks around a little longer!

05/31/12  11:22am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2268273

Sorry to hear he died. When they die, they usually are weak and disoriented and dragging around. The fact that he eventually stumbled into the water and drowned was just a nail in the coffin, not the real cause of death as a healthy Monitor can swim and do anything. And they can have air in the gut that makes them float upside-down, particularly if they’ve been dead a few hours and bacteria are starting to digest things.

Look carefully at what’s preached as the "right" way to set up a cage for a Monitor here if you’re going to get another Monitor. The ideas here do really work and prevent a lot of needless deaths.

05/31/12  11:31am

Mdf
View Profile

sorry for your loss, if you try again remember the key to success is a good set-up!

06/01/12  04:59pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2268446

yeah i was pretty bummed :/

here he is before i buried him

and heres the new top

06/03/12  08:41pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2268694

so just ordered a new baby sav from lllreptile. I got my last one in this sketchy reptile shop in LA so hopefully my new one will be healthier. Ive been researching a lot more lately but if anybody has any good caresheets or articles that i should checkout please let me know!
I appreciate all the help too thanks

06/04/12  06:30pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2268694

looking better!

just remember with all the heat the tp lid will warp at the corners & break your humidity seal, so you might need two catches, from a viewing point it may worth placing plexi or an old glass viv door on the front for easy viewing.

every time you hover over the top your rep will think there’s a big bird of prey coming :)

06/04/12  06:40pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2268811

ahh haha thats an interesting observation but that does make sense, maybe ill add a window or something to the front so he doesnt get freak out by me looking in so much

06/04/12  08:31pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area