Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dp525   Gatorhunter   Krusty   Aragarnn   Dp525  

Member  Message

Dp525
View Profile

Monitor Enclosure Filtration

This is a rough mock up of the filtration style I tend to use. The actual position of the initial output varies depending on the size of the monitor and the current pull it can handle from a gravity output and possible whirl pool effect. The position of the output has to be possibly altered to compensate and can be mounted on the lower side depending on how creative people want to get if you adopt such a game plan. I use industrial pond pumps and a DIY bio-filter. This crude design is for custom tanks. I attempted follow the concept that several zoos use for their filtration minus the million dollars set up 24" piping. Most zoos their their plumbing under ground, if you guy evvvvvvver get a chance to check one out please do; it changed my outlook on enclosure requirements. my enclosures all have stands underneath for housing... THE OVERZEALOUS AMOUNT OF SHUT OF VALVES ARE FOR EASY EMPTYING OF THE WASTE BUCKET. Dont build this damn thing if you dont know your way around filters and pond set ups....

05/22/12  10:35pm

Gatorhunter
View Profile

Message To: Dp525   In reference to Message Id: 2267332

You are still missing a few chambers. You need something to gather large waste before it gets to the bio-filter. A screen box before the bio-filter or super sized filter socks. This will only help keep your bio-filter cleaner. Crap is not the main problem I had. Mud, mulch or whatever my crocs decided to put In there was. 4inches of muck in a week. This is from an arboreal species not known for major digging or swimming. In fact it may benefit you to have two stages or pre-filter. Just an empty box got sediment to build that could could be quickly dumped then maybe a filter sock setup then the bio-filter. You could add a carbon chamber between the bio and pump for water clarity and aid in removal of toxins in water but that is preference and optional. Last would be a large dump drain. Once your bio-filter stabilizes and consumes ammonia and nitrite at normally levels then you will still need monthly water changes to control nitrate. Nitrate feeds algea and you dont want that battle. I actually would like to see it done because sometime I’ll be rebuilding and would like to see others notes due to I have not found a great solution yet.

05/23/12  02:04pm

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Gatorhunter   In reference to Message Id: 2267379

The big practical issues are exactly what Gatorhunter mentioned - large particles and sediment underestimated. These animals will carry and dump large amounts of mud and hunks of mulch, leaves, sticks and whatever is stuck on them as they run in and out of water all day long or sometimes dig and toss mud into the water reservoir. You have to have a large-particle screen or giant sock initially coming out of the tub, then all your small particle and biologic filtration components...and a very powerful pump to push the long lines, preferably one that does not burn out if it runs dry by accident. I’m following this thread and hope you figure out something that actually will work. Most prior attempts I’ve seen failed miserably. Keep us posted DP.

05/23/12  02:35pm

Aragarnn
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2267386

im interested as well now, if its possible to build for 350 or so, and less time consuming then changes daily, im all for it for my ornate.

05/23/12  09:46pm

Dp525
View Profile

Message To: Aragarnn   In reference to Message Id: 2267449

I know gentlemen, the diagram is a quick mock up on microsoft paint, I’m still learning ’Google Sketch Up," I have all the necessaries covered, just wanted to through the mock up out there. once its up ill provide a youtube link so you guys can check it out I’m waiting on my pump and bulkheads to come in.... to anyone that’s a fellow veteran enjoy your holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05/28/12  05:29pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area