Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dominako   Varanus_odom   Dominako   Crocdoc   Milkweed666   Dominako   Dominako   Dominako   Dp525   Mdf   Dominako  

Member  Message

Dominako
View Profile

Enlighten Me!

Hey guys, Dom again. I have some questions! I am by no means new to reptiles but I am new to monitors. I had recently posted about my oddly relaxed Nile Monitor, Axel. Now when I handle him he is quite warm but he lets me pet him and rub under his chin. I know he is not thinking "I love this human!" but do you think he will allow this all his life or should I stop taking him out to pet him. I bought a Nile to have a bad reptile and not a play thing but I am quite enjoying the fact that he trusts me so much. Give me your opinions!

05/16/12  10:22am

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: Dominako   In reference to Message Id: 2266585

Enlighten Me!

He can become tolerable of your presence but then he could also despise your presence. Stephen Foo (member here) keeps a big feisty Nile and it seems to want to rip his head off in every photo! Your little guy is showing good signs though. As far as the chin rubbing, some don’t seem to mind it and other lizards seem to think you’re getting too close to their chomper. My Albig would let me give him a quick rub under the chin when he was small too but if I do it now he puts his head down and opens his mouth to bite or he’ll turn away his head and walk away for a sec. Each individual monitor has it’s own personality, and you should know your individual lizard better than the rest of us. They are pretty demonstrative lizards.

05/16/12  11:27am

Dominako
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2266587

Enlighten Me!

By no means is he not intelligent but he seems to display a personality of lower lizards I have owned. I had a frilly that I was more concerned about biting me when he was a baby than Axel. It is not just with me though, he lets anyone that comes over pet him. I dont know if he is going to grow up and change his ways but so far as time goes on he just gets more and more patient. When my cat comes up to the cage (who just sits and looks at him) he puffs and tail whips but a human can come up to the cage and he will act like he has known you forever. It is quite odd really.

05/16/12  11:45am

Crocdoc
View Profile

Message To: Dominako   In reference to Message Id: 2266589

Enlighten Me!

Almost everyone that buys a new monitor is convinced that their monitor is different from all of the others and that it isn’t living up to the reputation they’ve read so much about.

Then the monitor settles in...

05/16/12  09:59pm

Milkweed666
View Profile

Message To: Crocdoc   In reference to Message Id: 2266636

Enlighten Me!

I was in the same boat as about 8 months ago. Wanting the "bad" lizard. But the difference was my Nile was scared instead of friendly. I HATED it. He’s now pushing 3 feet in length and is a monster. He just recently lost his scared-ness, now I’m the one that’s scared. Changing his water or feeding or checking temps went from casual chores to a trip to Jurassic park with no tranquilizer guns. Cherish what you have now my friend. They don’t make muzzles for these things

05/17/12  12:44am

Dominako
View Profile

Message To: Milkweed666   In reference to Message Id: 2266658

Enlighten Me!

When I said "bad" I meant a cool display lizard. I honestly was not expecting or needing something cuddly you could pet. I just wanted to grow an impressive monitor. I was just noticing traits that based on what everyone else experiencing are completely different. Its not that he doesn’t try to run from me much or he doesn’t try to bite me that much its that he NEVER does that. I have had him for over a month and I am sure he would have settled in a month.

05/17/12  12:59am

Dominako
View Profile

Message To: Dominako   In reference to Message Id: 2266660

Enlighten Me!

Signs I am noticing that he appears settled are he has a routine around his cage, great appetite, stays visible during the day.

05/17/12  01:03am

Dominako
View Profile

Message To: Dominako   In reference to Message Id: 2266661

Enlighten Me!

Just to clarify I have no experience with Nile Monitors prior to this one and one thing I am aware of is that you cant prepare for a Nile until you have owned a Nile. So thank you all for your help and advice and I will be sure to keep you all posted on my experience with him.

05/17/12  01:18am

Dp525
View Profile

Message To: Dominako   In reference to Message Id: 2266662

Enlighten Me!

All of the advice you received is solid as hell bro.. Like everyone says enjoy it while it last.

05/17/12  10:07am

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Dominako   In reference to Message Id: 2266662

Enlighten Me!

respect niles from the start, they remember bad experiences & are not forgiving!! lets say for instance he jumps off your head & lands hard he’ll learn that as a lesson & if your unlucky associate you with that event .
If i was you i’d control the environment making sure all contact is always positive or finishes on a postive note, the worst thing you can do is hand feed at this stage use tongs!! if you want to hand feed wait till your monitor is 5 foot plus & the growth has slowed, you’ll have a good idea by them of the habits of your monster to be. :)

but they are great creatures!! :)

in this vid there were very few negatives experiences, never even handled her when i brought her home from the pet shop she’d been stuck in for a year, i never gave her a reason to dislike me.

05/18/12  05:31pm

Dominako
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2266783

Enlighten Me!

That makes a lot of sense, thank you! I actually dont hand or tong feed him. I take him into a room where I had already set food out and let him explore until he finds it. He really doesn’t care if I move it around like prey or not.

05/18/12  09:12pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area