Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Savannahmonitorlover   Varanus_odom   Jakelane   Reptictale92   Dillonh24   Dillonh24   3240   Yaksha   Reptictale92  

Member  Message

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Should I start tameing?

Well I have a baby sav and she eats of tongs and I throw crickets into her cage but she will climb onto my hand and eat and every day she comes out when its feeding time. Should I start to tame and handl her now??

05/15/12  01:57pm

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2266489

Should I start tameing?

...you are handling her already. What do you mean start to "tame" her?

What else would you want to do with her? I’m curious what this infatuation is with "handling"?

These are wild animals and it’s not in their nature to enjoy being "handled". Monitors don’t understand why the heck some giant monkey wants to pick them up and "pet" them or whatever "handling" even entails. This cannot be broken. There isn’t a point where they decide "Alright, it’s been long enough. I’m not a monitor anymore. Being man-handled isn’t all that bad. I’m a kitty that likes to be stroked."

05/15/12  02:48pm

Jakelane
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2266498

Should I start tameing?

I was told to check out this site for info for my Savannah’s. But getting on here all I see in posts is rude comments about how wrong everyone is doing everything. I as well as most everyone I know that pet shops suck and don’t do things right. But I do things right based on the info I read and that I’m told. But why be so rude on here? Everything is about what’s wrong and people whining about it. I just want to know how it should be setup without reading through countless pointless posts about whining people. I hold my lizards. I have them so that I can enjoy them and watch them grow up healthy. The breeder I got them from is all captive bred and his 4 foot mother and father of my babies was like a dog. You could put them on your chest and they would rub their head against you very lightly and lick you chin if u stopped petting them. They would come if u whistled. They scratch the fridge when they want food. They scratch the tub for a bath. So tell me what’s wrong with that? Why can’t they be handled? Post informative positive things on here telling people how to have a healthy lizard. I spend at least an hour a day handling my babies and they r getting pretty calm and enjoying me petting them as they now don’t run from me.

06/06/12  07:57pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Jakelane   In reference to Message Id: 2269078

Should I start tameing?

I don’t get what he is saying^ but never try to tame your monitor it just hurts them an puts to much stress on them. They well on the other hand be come tolorent of you.

06/06/12  08:20pm

Dillonh24
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2269080

Should I start tameing?

It is not that they "enjoy" the handling but they simply tolerate what you are doing to them. Just because you want to "enjoy" your monitors doesn’t mean you HAVE to hold them and touch them because monitors are best enjoyed from a far as not to put them under stress simply for your own pleasure.

Also monitors are the smartest lizards so if you demonstrate to them that food comes from the fridge and that the bathtub is where they go to swim and lay in the water then obviously they will pick up on the signs of that and soon demonstrate that they know these facts and will use it like scratching at the fridge for food or the tub for a bath. This may seem spectacular in a way to some people but I am not really amazed with this because I know they have the ability to learn these tricks as long as they are shown it. I have seen monitors do many things that other lizards couldn’t figure out or comprehend simply because they don’t have the intellectual capacity of monitors.

06/06/12  09:22pm

Dillonh24
View Profile

Message To: Dillonh24   In reference to Message Id: 2269083

Should I start tameing?

Also just because they don’t run doesn’t mean that they enjoy the petting, it simply means they are giving in to letting you do this in the hopes that you will stop and leave them alone.

06/06/12  09:24pm

View Profile

Message To: Jakelane   In reference to Message Id: 2269078

Should I start tameing?

I didn’t know that monitors "lick". How cool is that!

My monitors do all of the above, except lick, and have recently learned how to use the TV remote. They have a good grasp on sign language and let me know when they’re happy’ sad, hungry, thirsty, or just need to be held and loved. One of them recently set up his own Facebook account.

06/06/12  10:31pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2269089

Should I start tameing?

3240 - BAHAHAHAHAHA

06/06/12  10:34pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2269090

Should I start tameing?

Lmao 3240 that’s amazing.