Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SalvatorREX   T15jimmy   Norf   SalvatorREX   Varanus_odom   Krusty   SalvatorREX   SalvatorREX   Krusty   Varanus_odom   Krusty   Dp525  

Member  Message

SalvatorREX
View Profile

Salvator... ?

so evryone that may or may not remember my post, my water monitor got loose into the wood work inside of my bathroom, and almost two weeks later he came out, and just a little update on him he’s eating like ive never seen him eat before and he’s happy to be back home, it seems like.. a buddy of mine that i randomly run into at the local pet store also has salvators, but he has a sulfur, which he got his the same time i got my sumatran. and they were about the exact same sizes.. but now 6 months later, his sulfur is about 5-7 inches bigger than my sumatran. and since we goto the same pet store we are limited to the same diets. and i feed my monitor daily , and he doesnt.. basking temps are both the same roughly 130-140 (optional) and ambient high 70’s low to mid 80’s . and my diet consists of insects,quail,and mice.. so does his... so is mine just going to be a little 4 in a half foot midget. or do you think he’s growing normally. he’s roughly 24 inches. and the guy’s is roughly 30 inches..... :/

05/14/12  11:08pm

T15jimmy
View Profile

Message To: SalvatorREX   In reference to Message Id: 2266431

Salvator... ?

All monitors are different, don’t worry about comparing yours to his. They may just have different growth rates. The daily feeding thing is the better option. As long as all conditions are favorable and you are giving him options, there is no need to be concerned. Just focus on your monitor.

05/15/12  07:48am

Norf
View Profile

Message To: T15jimmy   In reference to Message Id: 2266454

Salvator... ?

You shouldn’t be too concerned about that. It’s not a competition to see who’s monitor is the biggest, baddest, strongest.
Proper husbandry is what really matters and as long as your monitor is active with a voracious appetite you have nothing to worry about.

05/15/12  10:07am

SalvatorREX
View Profile

Message To: Norf   In reference to Message Id: 2266465

Salvator... ?

yea i know the size of him really doesnt matter. im not the type of person to trade him out just because of his size. but since i do own a water monitor, i was looking foward to watching him grow into a massive adult,just like evryone else hopes that their niles, black throats, and crocs will grow into massive adults too. it was just a random question i had on my mind. but thanks for the answers though

05/15/12  07:00pm

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: SalvatorREX   In reference to Message Id: 2266526

Salvator... ?

No, "everyone else" does not buy a monitor hoping it grows into a massive adult. Kind of childish IMO.

05/17/12  01:50pm

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2266688

Salvator... ?

I get the psychology that folks want a gigantic lizard pet that is tame. In theory it sounds pretty cool. Even if the adults are somewhat managable and "calm" (a 5-6-7-8 foot monster animal), they take up entire rooms that need to be heated, they crap huge and just them wiggling around when held will make you bleed. It sounds really cool until reality sets in that you have to give up a room and feed and heat an enormous bill. I feel bad for the animals as they almost always are neglected or mistreated in housing as they become gigantic and then become internet ad animals that can’t hardly be given away. There just aren’t enough people in it for the long-haul vs the newbie excitement types where the fad wears off and the animals suffer in the end. I wish more people thought hard before making a purchase.

05/17/12  02:18pm

SalvatorREX
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2266694

Salvator... ?

well if no one bought a monitor and hoped for it to get big. then no one would buy salvators blackthroats crocs and what have you... they would all buy ackies and kims. so there for yea people do but certain monitors because of the size.. i currently own adult rhino iguanas and an adult green iguana, and i bought them because of how smart they are. and the size... ive owned many small lizards evrysince i was small and slowly got into the bigger ones a few years back when i got my iggs. and i got into monitors about a year ago.. also because of how smart they are , and because they get big.. i also own a german shephered because he gets big!! ... and all of my animals are housed correctly.. i understand that. you guys are saying that its not all about the size which is true.. i handle my monitors regularly , feed them properly, and house them properly.. and i will do the same when they get BIG... and im by no means a newbie to reptiles.ive owned and grew up around them,my entire life. i never knew that it would be a problem by saying,"well i knowingly bought an asian water monitor which is one if the biggest lizards you can possibly buy," and when i mention i hope he gets huge... thats a problem...?? if i didnt want a huge monitor i would have just stuck with my sav. and never got a water. or i would have just stuck with my iggs that i have.. so for evry one that says its childish for me to want to make sure the growth of my animal is progressing correctly and hopeing that he is reaching his fullest potential ... im sorry that i care so much..and im sorry to all of the biologist, that spend so much time studying and provideing the very information that i was seeking. (that is so very childish..),, it seems like you guys just click up with people that you know.. and no matter what anybody does theres something wrong with it.. just like a while back when i posted a pic of my 8x4x3 water monitor enclosure.. ( when he ws only like 20 inches) nobody had anything to say like good job, or its good to see someone cares... it was barely any remarks made.. but when i say something as simple as i hope my huge lizard gets huge like its supposed to, its childish... thats why this forum is so dead now... its because of people like you.. which i know that you’re probly good people. and mean good things.. but your not the only people that have knowledge and funds.. to provide. we are all here for the love of the same exact thing.. which is VARANUS ... some of us know alot more than others and some know alot less than others, but as you can see this forum is dead .. and monitors are selling out in the pet trade evry day.. so obviously we’re not the only people that own them... so the ones that are on these forums are the small amount of people that actually seek real info . from real people with real knowledge.. so instead of trying to discourage. the small amount of people that even took out the time to register to this site.. try to help the small group of people that are actually conserned.. and even the people on here that are newbies,, YOU WERE ONCE A NEWBIE TOO!!!!! and so was i.. and if i had people give me the same kind of judgement you people give. i would have never spent thousands. my animals and on heat, cageing,and feeding my reptiles. over the years. and my mommy and daddy didnt buy them for me.. i was a teenager working and spending my own hard earned money on books, and library cards to research further more. and dicsiplined myself to save for what they needed . so the next time you call some one childish they can only be as childish as the person who was interested enough to recognize it.......

05/29/12  04:36am

SalvatorREX
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2266694

Salvator... ?

and krusty i know i replyed to you, but the childish comments were made towards v.odom.

05/29/12  04:45am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: SalvatorREX   In reference to Message Id: 2268026

Salvator... ?

I understand that, sREX. V_o has issues with his "tact" pretty much with everyone on this site. You can ignore it or go back and forth with petty arguing for 25 posts. He’s basically right about what he’s saying most of the time, but the technique is terrible to get through to people and actually make a difference. LOL

The way to throw it back in people’s face though.....you take really good care of these giant, magnificent animals for many years and show pics of a strong, healthy 6 foot plus Salvator in a large cage and say, "in your face!".

The problem though with all of this....for every 1 keeper who actually sticks with the animals for 10 years plus, there are 200 who neglect care or sell these animals after 6 months, or worse, they cramp them in tiny cages as they grow up and feed nothing but eggs and piles of meat because it’s cheap and the animals slowly decline in health and/or die. Those keepers never come back and disappear. And every newer Monitor keeper has the best of intentions at first. They will argue that they would "never give up on my Monitor" and will spend any money and convert a room into a cage, yada yada yada, but then the lizards show up on Craigslist or Faunaclassifieds with posts like "mom said it’s gotta go" or "life throws curveballs and I can’t keep it". So forgive our somewhat jaded attitudes when folks grab cheap baby WC Monitors of a species that gets enormous. This story plays out 100 times per year on this forum, and others, year after year after year and most people just don’t follow through on the commitment. That’s the reality. So, by all means, prove us wrong! I really want you to seriously. Good luck. Keep posting and put up some pics.

05/29/12  10:29am

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2268048

Salvator... ?

Rex, I’m not "cliqued" up with anybody here. I just dont think you should be worried too much about it. It’s a salvator, so you should know it’s going to attain a pretty good size. I would just focus on taking care of it and don’t worry if your buddy has a salvator same age but growing bigger quicker. Some just get bigger than others and you may even have one that hits a late growth spurt. Are you positive its male?

Krusty, I’m always hoping for them to throw it back ’in my face’ eventually. There’s only one way to do that though, and it only really happens about 1 out of 100 as you said!

05/29/12  11:38am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2268054

Salvator... ?

Totally true.

05/29/12  11:40am

Dp525
View Profile

Message To: SalvatorREX   In reference to Message Id: 2266431

Salvator... ?

Odom & Krusty hit it on the nose. Your lucky Salvator, please be more durable when you receive what may seem to be abrasive responses from experienced owners. We are poopie head by right of passage and wish to prevent the headaches we had in our ealy day of monitor owning. Out of all the blogs I have frequented this is the only one that I found worth sharing info and trading EXPERIENCED inputs. there are no points to prove only responsibilities to step up to. Monitors have been recorded to live damn near 28 years! and species grow how the hell they want to an ornate was recorded at an estimated 25ocm. I’m not a particular fan of anyone keeping a monitor as a pet if aesthetics is the main concern, but to each their own. In time we all grow out of that phase the hard way! My advice to all the novice owners is to please understand that monitors have been walking this earth for millions of years and deserve the time, money, and research in regards to their husbandry and origins. My ornate was a rescue that I knew would be doomed should it fall into inexperienced hands so I basically had to come out of ’monitor keeping retirement,’ to save it.

P.S. CHECK OUT ASIAN MARKETS IN YOUR AREA FOR NATIVE FOOD ITEMS ITS CHEAPER THAN THE PET STORE YOU FREQUENT!!!!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY FOR YOUR SPECIES OF MONITOR. DO A SEARCH ON THE RIVERS AND AREAS THEY FREQUENT AND CHECK THE INDIGENOUS AQUATIC SPECIES 100% OF THE TIME YOU’LL FIND IT THERE...

05/29/12  09:02pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area