Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Savannahmonitorlover   SalvatorREX   Savannahmonitorlover  

Member  Message

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Should I start to handle??

Well she has been eating off tongs for about three weeks now she is a baby savannah monitor. Just so u know. Um I can lead her onto my hand with crickets now but what should be my next step? And she wont eat any thing besides cricketss . I havent tried pinkies yet becausr I think she is to small but what else should I try to feed her she wont eat any kind of worm? Thanks for any help :)

05/14/12  05:25pm

SalvatorREX
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2266387

well crickets should be in her diet for as long as possable any ways. and long as you dust them thats fine if she doesnt eat anything else for now. my asian water monitor wouldnt eat from tongs, or eat any type of insects when i first got him, but he grew out of it finally after 6 months. but savs. are ..... well i wouldnt say insectavores. but even into adult hood insects should be offerd alot. so when it gets a little bit bigger i would try wax worms, but not very often because they are very fatty, and so are pinkies so when she does accept pinkies dont feed them exclusively. just a couple times a week. until she starts eating the fuzzies which have more nutritional value to them. but ive never seen a sav turn down any type of food before.. asian water monitors and a few other varanus. have a reputation of being picky eaters but a sav, normally doesnt fall into that catagory. but, give her a few more weeks and then try something else. and if she still wont take it.... prior to trying to get her to accept another food item, dont feed her the day before you offer the new food. and grab a few crickets too. just incase she still doesnt take it.. good luck

05/14/12  06:06pm

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Message To: SalvatorREX   In reference to Message Id: 2266395

Thankyou :) how should I aproach handeling should I start now or waite?

05/14/12  10:31pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area