Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Milkweed666   Varanus_odom   Mdf   Mdf   Aragarnn   Milkweed666   Aragarnn   Krusty   Nd   Varanus_odom  

Member  Message

Milkweed666
View Profile

Not scared anymore

Well I asked for it...my Nile isn’t scared of me anymore. Sounds great right? I went to change his(/her) water tub yesterday, the Nile right next to the tub, I thought it was strange that when I slid the window open he didn’t dart off. I reached in for the tub and my Nile ran straight for my hand with mouth open. Kinda scary. I left him alone for awhile and changed the water later. This I’m guessing is from me hand feeding without gloves or tongs especially. Am I too late to change him from doing this? He’s been taking live mice from my hand for almost a month now. He doesn’t just bite and hold them anymore either, he shakes and slams them hard

05/14/12  02:09am

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: Milkweed666   In reference to Message Id: 2266329

Not scared anymore

Starting to become more comfortable in your presence and starting to associate you with food IMO. Use tongs going forward, get him used to it. It could take a few feedings to get him used to the tongs.

05/14/12  12:05pm

Mdf
View Profile

Not scared anymore

a well heated nile is not good for your fingers if it goes wrong!! always use tongs just in case, this gives them time to work that fingers are part of you & not for eating. :)

05/14/12  04:53pm

Mdf
View Profile

Not scared anymore

& this is what you call a big fit niles!! :) one of Roger’s vids.

05/14/12  05:00pm

Aragarnn
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2266382

Not scared anymore

Agreed, tongs. And gloves even. My two foot sav took a chunk from my pinky, got a nice shiny scar from it. And I was using tongs! Flipped over and ripped a nice chunk right off. Complete accident as it was cold and I’ve noticed it a bit more clumsy when it hasn’t basked. Imagine what your Nile can do.

05/14/12  06:45pm

Milkweed666
View Profile

Message To: Aragarnn   In reference to Message Id: 2266400

Not scared anymore

How much damage do u guys think a 3 foot Nile could really do? Take off a finger maybe? Mines not exactly 3 feet but almost I think. I put notches every 12 inches on his basking shelf but he doesn’t really lay straight on them

05/15/12  02:41am

Aragarnn
View Profile

Message To: Milkweed666   In reference to Message Id: 2266447

Not scared anymore

After being bit by a two footer I’d rather not find out myself personally.

05/15/12  07:37am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Aragarnn   In reference to Message Id: 2266453

Not scared anymore

Even dwarf Monitor bites hurt. Their saliva alone makes the wound sting. They typically clamp down and hold on rubbing the stuff into the holes for a minute or two, rarely just a quick tag and let go. The teeth are fairly long and typically very sharp. I would imagine a 3 foot Salvator bite would suck. Flavirufus bites suck and they’re almost that size. LOL

05/15/12  10:18am

Nd
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2266466

Not scared anymore

I’ve always wondered about the bite, hearing about it just doesn’t seem to it justice LOL. I always wanted one of them to bite me when they were smaller just so I would know what I was in for when they got bigger, as weird as that sounds. I guess I didn’t try hard enough. I suppose I’ll find out when the day finally comes, it has to happen eventually.

05/15/12  07:13pm

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: Nd   In reference to Message Id: 2266529

Not scared anymore

Bites... I’ve had a feisty 4ft niloticus reach around with that elongated neck and grab the side of my thumb palm. I was transferring her from one enclosure to another at a friends shop and she just latched right on as soon as I got her near the ’new’ enclosure. She pried, pulled and ripped at my skin for about a minute until I squeezed her neck hard as I could manage. Was not pleasant at all and it was my first time being bit by one. I’ve since been bit by an adult male Savannah twice (big toe and middle toe) and once on the finger by my male Albig.

All things considered, the Albig bite was worse than the others. The Savannah bites really peeved me off as they happened out of nowhere, both times while he was out of his enclosure and I walked by his face without paying attention. The jaw pressure of his on my toes was tremendous. The teeth were smaller though and more blunt than the Niloticus and Albig so it was semi-tolerable (and he let go after about 10 seconds both times).

The Nile bite didn’t feel like much jaw pressure at all but more sharp teeth and the activity of the bite.. trying to rip my skin off.

The Albig bite was messy. Again had to squeeze this ones throat as hard as I could manage to get him to let go of my finger after the longest 20 seconds of my life. I say the Albig bite was the worst out of the three because the jaw pressure, big sharp teeth and he was prying at my finger ripping the sensitive skin open. Same thing had happened to a friend of mine with the same Albig a few weeks earlier. We both had a very hard time stopping the bleeding and for about a week the finger was swollen and couldn’t bend it 90 degrees at the middle knuckle without opening up the teeth wounds.

No mas. I can’t imagine what a giant goanna species bite would feel like and don’t want to. I don’t even want a baby biting me.

05/16/12  08:06pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area