Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors Forum

Sidbarvin   Biawak   Sidbarvin   DRZRider   CONSTRIKTR   Shiftylarry   Krusty   JPsShadow   Mikes Monitors!   Willie1   Biawak   AlbigCrazy   Sidbarvin   Sidbarvin   Biawak   Sidbarvin   Sidbarvin   AlbigCrazy   Sidbarvin   Sidbarvin   Juggernutz   Sidbarvin   Sidbarvin   Mikes Monitors!   Sidbarvin   Mikes Monitors!   Sidbarvin   Mikes Monitors!   Sidbarvin   JPsShadow  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Sidbarvin
View Profile

My Girl Has a New Boyfriend

This little fella came to me from Jody today. Heís quite a bit smaller than the female but heís already downed 2 small fuzzies this evening. The critter is very healthy looking and feisty. Also he is quite curious about his new home and has been exploring since I put him in the cage. He is much bolder than my female as it took me the better part of a year to get her to tong feed. This little bugger did not actually take the mice from me but he did not budge an inch when I stuck the first one in his face, heh heh. I left them near him and they were gone when I returned. Letís hope the prearranged marriage works, ha ha ha.

Hereís a pic of the female for size comparison.

The two have not chanced to meet yet since the girl has been a bit shy due to the cage remodel and the addition of nesting sites.

Thanks

Roger

11/09/07  10:52pm

Biawak
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1508011

Nice! I have a good feeling about that fella. I hope all goes smoothly when Sydney gets around to greeting him. Cheers

11/09/07  11:43pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Biawak   In reference to Message Id: 1508068

Thanks Neal. I think the cage setup is good for them. There is plenty of room and many many hides all over the cage. Iíll be watching very closely since Sydney is so much larger. Iíd say she is more than double his size.

11/09/07  11:55pm

DRZRider
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1508083

Be careful with the monitors you get from Jody. I got a female dumeril from him and put her with my male. Not many months later I was digging up eggs. I hope you have the same luck with your timors.

Ed

11/10/07  12:48am

CONSTRIKTR
View Profile

Message To: DRZRider   In reference to Message Id: 1508112

Sweet Roger! Congrats.
Alex

11/10/07  01:27am

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: CONSTRIKTR   In reference to Message Id: 1508130

Nice male. Just out of curiosity, who if anyone in the U.S. is breeding timors? Also, if the male doesnít get along with your female or vice versa, what then? Will you keep the lone male and female, or will you purchase another timor and try again?

11/10/07  03:45am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1508161

There are random CBB V. timorensis that show up. Iíve never noticed anyone breeding and selling hatchlings over and over again. Hopefully Roger will break that up with a few clutches per year.

He needs to beef up before courting her. She appears much bigger as you said but looking good, man.

11/10/07  08:37am

JPsShadow
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1508011

Hey he doesnít look any worse for the wear from his trip. I knew he would be smaller then your girl, but it is the girl that needs the size to her to produce eggs anyways not the male. He just needs to be mature enough. Just keep them well fed and you shouldnít have troubles. It would be feeding time that you might see them mix it up over food. But he is used to tong feeding so you can easily get him to follow you for food.

As with pairing up anything your going to have to just keep an eye on things, and roll with the punches.

Best of luck to you and if you need anything let me know.

11/10/07  10:01am

Mikes Monitors!
View Profile

Message To: DRZRider   In reference to Message Id: 1508112

Ed
The same can be said about you and yours! LOL!
Thanks again for the female Jobiensis Brother!
Mike

Roger
Again Best of luck to you!
They are a handsome pair.
Mike

11/10/07  10:45am

Willie1
View Profile

Message To: Mikes Monitors!   In reference to Message Id: 1508339

Good luck with the pair sidbarvin. We have a pair that will hopefully reproduce this year as well.

Warren

11/10/07  11:40am

Biawak
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1508083

I can tell you one thing that might not work out very well is a large, mean male with a little pixie type of female. Iíd have to agree with Jody, it could work out, even if heís on the small side. In my experience, female Timors are pretty mellow, that doesnít seem to be the case with some species- storri for instance.

Hereís a pic of the sort of male you donít want.

BTW, ďdibsĒ on any offspring you donít keep!

11/10/07  01:44pm

AlbigCrazy
View Profile

Message To: Biawak   In reference to Message Id: 1508506

Man Jody took horrible care of that little guy! Glad itís in good hands now! :)

He looks good Roger and Jody. I hope you do get some CBB animals... I agree with Neal if you do produce some I wouldnít mind some Timors around here.

Good luck! Iím sure youíll do great with them.

Cheers,
Chad

11/10/07  03:33pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: AlbigCrazy   In reference to Message Id: 1508576

Well today when I got home from work Sydney was out. My wife said the new kid had been out for a good while earlier in the day but so far nobody has seen them both out at the same time. Iím quite anxious to see how they interact with one another.

Hey Ed, I hope to be digging up eggs at some point as well. The funny thing is, Jodyís monitors have come all the way from his place to mine, Iím guessing maybe six hundred miles or so, and each time they emerge from their very nicely packed boxes as if nothing happened at all, heh heh. Both Storm and this timor (yet unnamed) have been very strong, healthy and quite hungry.

Alex, I have been looking forward to this for a good while.

Chris, should these two not accept each other, (donít jinx me) I will indeed try to find another pair, thus increasing my odds considerably. When I begin to produce offspring, the odds will be even better, heh heh.

Hey Krusty, I have every intention of making every effort to produce a few clutches a year. I have learned a great deal from following your posts, so hopefully it will come in handy. Iíve been told that these are not the best choice for a beginner breeding project but we shall see.

Hey Jody, again, I am 100% satisfied. I was quite surprised at how much braver this little bugger is than the female, especially in new surroundings right after being trucked all that way. As I mentioned in the e-mail, he did not even flinch when I offered food.

Mike and Warren, thank you. My fingers are crossed.

Neal and Chad, you fellas have first dibs for sure. You can draw straws. Letís hope these make lots of babies.

Thank you all so much for your support since the beginning. My goal from the time I got Bart and Marvin has been to breed some sort of monitors. You have all contributed greatly to the current well being of all my monitors and I really appreciate it! Iím sure Iíll have many many questions to ask so get ready, ha ha ha.

Thanks Again

Roger

11/11/07  01:42am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1509257

Now the nailbiting begins. Sidney, the female has been out all day and even took a mouse from me, something she has not been doing lately. Jeep, (my wife gave him a name), the new kid has not come out today. As I have said the size difference worries me and my thoughts tent to run amuck at times. Iím sure he is fine so I will avoid the usual temptation I have to tear cages apart in search of my monitors when I get worried. As Neal mentioned on another thread, I have had tentency to mess around a bit much at times like this.

Roger

11/11/07  04:55pm

Biawak
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1509990

So what do you think about the way I spelled her name? I thought that seemed better for girl.

11/11/07  06:37pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Biawak   In reference to Message Id: 1510096

Heh heh. Yes, I did notice that and even began spelling it as you did. So from now on itís Sydney instead of Sidney. Neal, do you think I should be worried that Sydney may have done something to Jeep, the new boy?

11/11/07  06:51pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1510122

Someone give me a swift kick in the a$$, ha ha ha! The little bugger, Jeep is out basking away. Sydney is way up in the top of the cage watching.

11/11/07  10:13pm

AlbigCrazy
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1510468

Kickís Roger swiftly.

Happy?

Glad they are doing good.

Cheers,
Chad

11/11/07  10:19pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: AlbigCrazy   In reference to Message Id: 1510473

Ha ha ha, thanks Chad. The first few times I tried to introduce my niles, I knew right away they would not work out. Maybe if the female has not attempted to attack by now I should relax huh.

11/11/07  11:42pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1510618

The new boy is doing great. He just downed 2 good sized fuzzies and has a fat gut for the first time since I got him. Up to now he has only eaten one a day. The female is out during the day, while the male takes the night shift. Someone has been digging in the nest box, but Iím not sure who it is. I believe I will take a couple days off work so I can watch them.

11/17/07  02:37am

Juggernutz
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1516745

Good luck bro. Afterall, every creature aliveís main purpose or goal is to reproduce!

11/17/07  05:38am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Juggernutz   In reference to Message Id: 1516782

Bump for Scott

11/17/07  11:38pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1517848

Well, I havenít seen the new critter for nearly a week. The first week he was out every day and very active. The female is back to her old routine, out for most of the afternoon and early evening. Iím thinking about going in after him.

11/22/07  02:38am

Mikes Monitors!
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1522754

Roger
Why are you worried about him?
If you are just wanting to check on him try this.
Take a pinky on the hemostats and poke it around a bit, if he seeís the pinky he should nab it!
Then youíll know where one of his hide outs are.

This is how I get all of my Monitors tollerant of me.
Before you know it heíll be looking for you.
Then expecting you, then eating in front of you, basking and so on,
I used to have these urges like your having...try to hold off a bit find him with the pinky trick!
Itís alot more fun than tearing up your cage, and your Monitors will bennifit in the long run.
Let me know how it turns out.
Mike

11/22/07  02:58am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Mikes Monitors!   In reference to Message Id: 1522761

Thanks Mike! Iíll give it a shot. I should be over this sort of thing by now, ha ha ha. I should also have learned from my niles as well. I have one that was always very easily stressed out. Every time I put it in a bigger cage it would dig in and stay under without eating for 2 weeks.

I have this big nest box in the timor cage that makes it pretty hard to get around. Iím thinking of removing it as it seems like a bit of an overkill. Itís a 25 gallon tote full of coco soft.

Iíll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Roger

11/22/07  03:11am

Mikes Monitors!
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1522766

Roger
My Tree Monitors always prefered a nice tight nest box, I figured this out by using several different sizes.

Perhaps that big tote will work out well for your Niles!

A few hours from Turkey overdose! LOL

Mike

11/22/07  11:10am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Mikes Monitors!   In reference to Message Id: 1522902

Well, the little bugger came out last night after rustling up the leaves with a fuzzy, ha ha ha. He ate two of them.

Yep, I think Iíll look for some smaller boxes for nesting.

Happy Turkey Day! Thanks Mike.

Roger

11/22/07  01:46pm

Mikes Monitors!
View Profile

Message To: Mikes Monitors!   In reference to Message Id: 1522761

Roger
I just found these photos of what Iím talking about, poking around with a pinky on the hemostats.
Mike

Once you figure out where they hide, checking up on them is easy!
Did you ever try this trick?
Mike

12/06/07  06:37am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Mikes Monitors!   In reference to Message Id: 1537409

Hi Mike
I love the way you set up your cages with the plants and stuff. The monitor ainít too shabby either, heh heh.
Poking around with mouse on the tongs works well with the little male. Thanks for the tip! He pokes his head out of his burrow, snatches it away and dissappears, ha ha ha. The female will take it right out in the open. I have not seen her in a few days, so Iíll try your trick on her in a bit. Her habits have changed a lot since the male was introduced to her cage. She used to be out all for the day most of the time. Now sheís out for a couple days during the day, then I donít see her for a few. The little fella is out all night every night

Something else about the female, is the that she is quite violent when she takes prey from me. Before she grabs the mouse, she actually tries to bite my hand first a couple of times. Strikes like a snake. Itís like she is trying to defend herself first, then she rips the mouse away and sort of realizes itís food and swallows it down. Sometimes she even throws it down and tries to bite me again. I have to pick the mouse back up sometimes a couple of times before she eats it. Have you ever seen anything like this with any of your monitors. My female nile is also a very aggressive feeder, "killing" her prey prior to consuming it. The male nile simply takes it and swallows it right down.

Roger

12/06/07  09:04pm

JPsShadow
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1538168

Roger what your seeing is a product of a pecking order being in place. The dominant one knows he gets his food and has no worries, the submissive one is the nervous type that has to act fast. This usually ends up being the female when kept in pairs. At times youíll have a very dominant female though or if she just laid eggs youíll be suprised how agro she becomes then. Of course one male can dominate another male as well.

12/06/07  09:17pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area