Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors Forum

Anole_keeper   Nile_monitorv   Krusty   Krusty   Anole_keeper   Krusty  
 Member  Message

Anole_keeper
View Profile

Just Paired Up

I finally decided my lone ackie was a female and a few very experienced and knowledgable people confirmed this (in person) and said I should give it a shot at pairing her up. So I got a big male from John Adragna. Lovely specimen he is! All seems normal, or atleast how I figure/think it should be; I just have a few questions. This male is very "curious" and is also constantly attempting to what seems to be copulating. However, it seems the female isnt quite ready and will not lift her tail and let him "in" per say. He is constantly trying this and it seems she is getting annoyed. She now turns around when mounted and bited his arm gently, then lets go and flees quickly. Also in one instance the male mounted her and then gently chopped down on the side of her neck. No wounds or anything, just a lot of running and chasing and fleeing, etc. Does all sound normal and is there anything I should do besides keep a close watch? I will post pics of the new male soon.
-Adam

09/19/07  10:05pm

Nile_monitorv
View Profile

Message To: Anole_keeper   In reference to Message Id: 1449936

Just Paired Up

post pics of the male/female/enclosure i enjoy seeing pics they give me ideaís on how to improve my own

09/19/07  10:09pm

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Nile_monitorv   In reference to Message Id: 1449941

Just Paired Up

Let them establish together unless it becomes violent w/ wounds. If it does, youíll have to be VERY keep on when she is gonna cycle and only introduce then. Thatís hard to do w/ a persistantly underground lizard. When sheís ready sheíll "lift" for him. Heíll try constantly.

09/19/07  10:12pm

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 1449952

Just Paired Up

keen, not keep

09/19/07  10:13pm

Anole_keeper
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 1449952

Just Paired Up

Thanks for the insight! So basically, if theres no actual wounds then I should leave them together and let them work things out on their own? Iím sure this activity will slow down in a couple days but Iím just worried about her getting overly stressed out and not eating, basking, etc.
-Adam

09/19/07  10:27pm

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Anole_keeper   In reference to Message Id: 1449976

Just Paired Up

You got it. Watch that she isnít getting dominated and not getting food, basking etc. Thatís the trick. This stuff doesnít seem to happen as much with raising younginsí, but it doesnít always happen with odd pairs put together (bullying to a detrimental degree). Multiple basking sites and lots of food helps.

09/19/07  11:45pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area