Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors Forum

Ericjames   Koddie   Ericjames   Reedie   Shiftylarry   Ericjames   Reedie   Ericjames   Reedie   Ericjames   Reedie   Sidbarvin   Ericjames   Teh 0wnerer   Teh 0wnerer   Ericjames   Sidbarvin   Mdf   Shiftylarry   Mdf   Mdf   Mdf   Mdf   Mdf   Mdf   Ericjames   Sidbarvin   Ericjames   Sidbarvin   Shiftylarry  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Ericjames
View Profile

Best sav substrate

Iím having some trouble. whats the very best thing possible, and would a sphagnum peat moss/sand mixture being temporarily acceptable?

07/01/07  03:28am

Koddie
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1341397

Best sav substrate

5 to 12 inches of dirt would be best for your sav.

07/01/07  04:03am

Ericjames
View Profile

Message To: Koddie   In reference to Message Id: 1341408

Best sav substrate

plain old dirty dirt?

07/01/07  04:10am

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1341413

Best sav substrate

The dirtier the better, trust me! Just make sure that it holds moisture, is borrowable, and has no pesticides, poisons, etc., etc.

-Reed

07/01/07  01:05pm

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1341644

Best sav substrate

Dirt is what they live on. It would be neat though if Africa was one giant sand dune.

07/01/07  01:10pm

Ericjames
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1341650

Best sav substrate

Quote:

It would be neat though if Africa was one giant sand dune.

It would be neat if Africa was a 6 foot wooden box...

07/04/07  06:22am

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1345242

Best sav substrate

You donít plan on keeping the monitor in a 6x3x3 itís whole life do you?

-Reed

07/04/07  01:22pm

Ericjames
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1345514

Best sav substrate

6X3X4.

07/04/07  02:28pm

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1345593

Best sav substrate

The bare minimum cage size should be an 8x4x7 with three feet of dirt. A6 foot cage should not be used as a permanent encloure...EVER!!!!!!

-Reed

07/04/07  05:11pm

Ericjames
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1345775

Best sav substrate

alright. ill take that into consideration when i build his permanent home.

07/04/07  05:15pm

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1345781

Best sav substrate

Okay, you can look up the thread "How to Cages" by Shay_. That is a great cage design on that thread, it is the one Iím useing.

-Reed

07/04/07  11:29pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1345781

Best sav substrate

Great, Youíll "take it into consideration". Consider the fact that the size reedie mentioned is considered minimal. Minimal is not ideal. Obviously an African savanna is the ideal, but seeing as how we hold these animals captive, not by their choice, donít you think itís only right to provide them with at least what they need to thrive, not simply what is convenient. They live and thrive on and in dirt in the wild. The rule of thumb for cage size is the length of the monitor wide and twice the length of the monitor long, MINIMUM. Savanna monitors average four feet in length. Do the math Albert. What fun is an unhealthy monitor, with some crappy peat or moss that it has no understanding of, crammed into a six foot box that it cant even comfortably turn around in. Sounds more like a coffin than a cage to me.

Roger

07/05/07  12:00am

Ericjames
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1346210

Best sav substrate

Quote:

you can look up the thread "How to Cages"

Yea Iíve read that thing over and over and looked at the pictures. Itís a pretty amazing enclosure. Iíve been going to home depot a lot looking around at everything to see what my best options are.

Quote:

Do the math Albert

So far everything Iíve seen you write is condescending in some way. Donít talk down to people. Not like if I have a 6 foot tank, and the monitor reaches 4 feet itís the only thing Iím ever going to be able to build... The thing is only 6 inches long right now. I have a little while to consider my options. If you want to help me, try being somewhat friendly. Iíll be more obliged to value your opinions if you donít throw them at me with an attitude trying to make me feel stupid.

07/05/07  03:08am

Teh 0wnerer
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1346347

Best sav substrate

Quote:

The thing is only 6 inches long right now.

Not for long buddy.

07/05/07  01:36pm

Teh 0wnerer
View Profile

Best sav substrate

Oh, I forgot.

Quote:

So far everything Iíve seen you write is condescending in some way.

Sometimes itís the only way to get things into peopleís heads.

07/05/07  01:38pm

Ericjames
View Profile

Message To: Teh 0wnerer   In reference to Message Id: 1346735

Best sav substrate

Quote:

Not for long buddy.

Iím fully aware that it can get over 4 feet long in a year.
I donít respond well to a condescending attitude, so if someone wants to get something into my head, that wouldnít be the way to go about it...

07/05/07  05:20pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Best sav substrate

I donít make anyone feel anything at all. People feel the way they feel due to their own self image. I donít have that kind of power.
First off Ericjames, you ask if itís ok to feed dog food to a monitor and we say no. To us this question says NEWBIE. Thereís nothing wrong with being new to something and asking for advice, I personally do it all the time. So since you say you "already know how to take care of it" and in reality you donít, because now youíve changed your tune on your latest post, "sav not eating" or some such. When other members saw that you were likely inexperienced and inquired about your husbandry you quickly shot them down with some snide remarks of your own. Reread your dog food thread carefully if you feel the need to accuse me of being condescending. After that, reread your other thread titled "sav and eating" and see if you can say with any amount of honesty that everything Iíve written has been condescending in some way. You could possibly have avoided the predicament your sav is in right now had you not snubbed the ones asking about your setup a week ago. Do yourself a favor before you make yourself look any more foolish and reread all your threads.

It really does not matter to me if you value my opinions, since I donít post any opinions here. Any advice Iíve given has been taken form others on this forum, put into practice by me, and found to work. They are facts that many other keepers with a whole lot more experience than myself have shared, proven facts.

Hereís another one for you and Iíll stop the rant. I donít want to help you, I would like to help your monitor. If you want to help it as well, you shouldnít attempt to dictate the form the help comes in. Good and useful information is just that, regardless of the tone in which it is delivered. I must admit that I have tendency to become a bit abrasive when it comes to certain attitudes, but believe me if you are so easily offended and wonít take advice because of the attitude of the ones giving it, you will miss out on a whole lot of wisdom held by some very experienced members of the monitor community.

Roger

07/05/07  06:03pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1347024

Best sav substrate

Are we show this one is going to be a 4 footer?, canít he just make them as he goes a long?, Iíve made three cages so far on his second week in the latest.

13/06/07

23/06/07 (10 days growth)

I might have to make a 4th.................

07/05/07  06:04pm

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 1347092

Best sav substrate

He could, but not everyone lives on a house with massive acreage and a lot of living space. I mean how many posts have you seen where people are planning to build a bigger cage in the near future?

07/05/07  06:17pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1347112

Best sav substrate

True....i lost the garage, the car is outside.....

07/05/07  06:38pm

Mdf
View Profile

Best sav substrate

True....i lost the garage, the car is outside.....

07/05/07  06:39pm

Mdf
View Profile

Best sav substrate

True......I lost the garage, the car is outside.........
mdf

07/05/07  06:42pm

Mdf
View Profile

Best sav substrate

mdf

07/05/07  06:43pm

Mdf
View Profile

Best sav substrate

mdf

07/05/07  06:44pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 1347181

Best sav substrate

sorry had some trouble posting..please forgive.......

07/05/07  06:46pm

Ericjames
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 1347183

Best sav substrate

Quote:

You could possibly have avoided the predicament your sav is in right now had you not snubbed the ones asking about your setup a week ago.

Oh yes, my monitor stopped eating because i got in an argument with you sidbarvin. I took the advise i was given about his tank the day it was given to me, and it was given to me the day i posted that, so that argument has nothing to do with my monitor eating.

07/05/07  08:05pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1347254

Best sav substrate

You seem to be missing one small detail my friend; the fact that this forum records dates and times of posts. Again, i ask you to reread your threads. You sidetracked the real issues for three days on the first one.

The fact of the matter is, that your savís loss of appetite has nothing at all to do with any argument with me and everything to do with your lack of know how when it comes to monitor husbandry. The critter was eating, at least thatís the impression youíve given, and now it is not. It is a husbandry issue plain and simple. So do your monitor a favor, get over yourself, and spend some time straightening it out rather than wasting time bickering with me.

Here you are again. Get a temp gun. You seem to have dialed in a good range of ambient temperatures, but you need to accurately check the surface temp of the basking area. Start out with basking temp of 120. Watch the critter. If it seems to spend most of itís time basking raise the temp 10 degrees. You must pay attention to what the animal is doing and adjust accordingly. Provide plenty of tight hides throughout the cage so it feels secure wherever it needs to be within the range of temps. Donít mess around attempting force feeding and mucking with it as this makes the problem worse by adding stress to an already stressed monitor. If it continually attempts escape by nose rubbing and clawing at the glass, it is missing something or something is wrong in itís environment. There many variables; humidity too high, humidity too low, same with temps. Read KAP10KAVY,s care sheet in the care sheets section on this forum. If the problem persists after you have achieved and maintained proper conditions, take it to a vet as the problem may have gotten to a point where proper husbandry alone will not remedy it.

Roger

07/06/07  01:55am

Ericjames
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1347591

Best sav substrate

I havent seen him rub his nose on the glass at all, and if anything the humidity is too high, Ill get a humidity gauge for the tank too.

07/06/07  03:23am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Ericjames   In reference to Message Id: 1347651

Best sav substrate

My guess is that it has more to do with stress than anything. Youíve been making changes to the cage, handling it, and attempting force feeding. Also, you have no way of measuring the basking area temps. Monitors know when to eat and when not to eat according to available temperatures. If the basking area is not hot enough, the monitor knows it cannot process ingested food properly. The meal will rot in itís belly without the heat required to metabolize properly. As far as humidity, If you see a lot of condensation on the inside of the tank, and it does not dry out, ventilate it, if not, leave it alone if the dirt is somewhat moist, not wet.

Obviously this is all speculation on my part since I am not there to see whats going on.

I have a small water monitor in a 55 gal fish tank right now. The substrate is as I mentioned, pretty moist but not wet. I see some condensation near the substrate on the cool end but no írainí dripping from the top or dripping down the glass. I dont guage humidity, if the dirt is moist the monitor finds what it needs. It will hydrate in a burrow.

07/06/07  02:42pm

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1348095

Best sav substrate

Sidbarvin, do you keep tropical monitors with higher humidity requirements? Iíve found with my black roughneck, that if there isnít condensation on the glass, the humidity is usually below 80%.

Also, random question about water monitors. Donít know much about them since Iíve never even considered getting something that big. Any, I was wondering, since their distribution is so wide if there are different humidity requirements that have been observed between the different locals and subspecies. I know that different subspecies are said to have different temperments, but what else is different? Also, do you think the subspecies will ever split off into new categories like v. ornatus?

07/06/07  03:10pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area