Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors Forum

SK8R   SK8R   Ackie89  
 Member  Message

SK8R
View Profile

Building new home need some help

Iím building a new home for my water in my garage Iím about half way finished with the base. no pics because i donít want to give it away. its 8 foot by 6ft and right now Iím 27inch high and adding 36 more.
Ive built it with 2x4ís and ply wood. and it sets 5 inch of the ground on locking rollers. i just had a few ideaís i wanted to run by everyone. on the bottom of the inside and 27 inch up i was going to spread a layer of tile grout to water proof? Ive herd of some people laying down linoleum but if that gets wet it will come up. tile grout is inexpensive has any one used this application? if this is not the way to go any ideaís on another app that will work around the same cost?
also furnishing fake plants are so expensive and i want to give it a jungle look can you use live plants? i donít see why not since they live in the wild but Iím just asking just in case.
i live in a really dry climate and was thinking about adding a humidifier out side and venting it in any problems with that?

05/27/07  09:04pm

SK8R
View Profile

Message To: SK8R   In reference to Message Id: 1295860

help

05/29/07  03:54pm

Ackie89
View Profile

Message To: SK8R   In reference to Message Id: 1295860

The problem Iím foreseeing with the grout would be cracking due to the wood warping (even slightly from its own weight) , which would then allow moisture to come in contact with the wood. Under moisture, your plywood with quickly desentigrate...The easiest and most effective way to get a good permanent seal would be to line your frame with FRP and calk all the inside corners and seams very well. Itíll sound expensive, but I think it would actually be cheaper in the long run than using the grout and having to replace much of the frame later on (possibly sooner than you think)...
As far as humidity goes, if you can make a well sealed box with a deep substrate it will hold much more humidity than the outside climate reguardless. If you decide to use live plants know what youíre getting isnít toxic and be prepared to replace them often, as monitors love to dig them up. Cheers, Lance

05/29/07  04:11pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area