Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors Forum

Xfaroutx   Crocdoc   Koi   Sidbarvin   Xfaroutx   Koi   Koi   Xfaroutx   Sidbarvin   Crocdoc   Xfaroutx   Xfaroutx   Koi   Sidbarvin   Sidbarvin   DRZRider   Koi   DRZRider   Xfaroutx   Xfaroutx   Sidbarvin   Xfaroutx   DRZRider   Sidbarvin   Koi   BIG-HYDRO  
 Member  Message

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Nile moniter that wonít eat

hey, my brother has a moniter that is about a month or two old, and he isnít eating. he is getting very skinny. i have beardies and when mine were impacted all you had to do was soak em in "pee-warm" water and rub the vent. is this the same thing that you can do to moniters?? or is there even a need to in this case? any POLITE advice would be apperciated.
thanks
amy

05/19/07  11:33pm

Crocdoc
View Profile

Message To: Xfaroutx   In reference to Message Id: 1287347

A full description of the set-up is needed, maybe even a photo of the enclosure. When monitors donít eat it is almost always husbandry related.

05/19/07  11:47pm

Koi
View Profile

Info on the cage set-up would help a lot. Donít handle it at all, that will just add to stress and make it less likely to eat. And what are you offering it?

-Jon-

05/19/07  11:47pm

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Advice is advice, polite impolite, or plain belligerent, whats the difference, itís still helpfull. Nobody can help without some kind of information as to how the little Niles cage is set up. Some pictures could really get you somewhere here.

05/19/07  11:50pm

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Message To: Koi   In reference to Message Id: 1287369

Nile monitor that wonít eat

The enclosure is that of a more natural approach, the substrate is coco soft bedding. Now I realize that the top/leading breeders use news paper and paper towels to avoid any internal problems within the lizards, I however like to make the enclosures more natural. I have another Nile that is in the same bedding and he has been eating non stop with no problems. I felt that maybe there was an intimidation problem seeing as to how the monitor that eats is slightly larger then that of his sibling, I therefore removed his sibling from the cage to a new enclosure. They are currently feeding on large crickets, and the occasional fish that I will sometimes put in their water dishes. Any suggestions that may improve the health of this monitor now that a description has been provided?

05/20/07  12:13am

Koi
View Profile

Message To: Xfaroutx   In reference to Message Id: 1287398

A pic would still be better like said, I havenít heard of now breeders keeping there monitors on any newspaper or carpet, just cruel for monitors. You should be offering Rodents as well like fuzzies and hoppers and maybe even and adult mouse. What kind of fish are you feeding? Donít use the petshop fish, they have chemicals and stuff.

-Jon-

05/20/07  12:22am

Koi
View Profile

Message To: Crocdoc   In reference to Message Id: 1287368

I meant "NO" breeders.

-Jon-

05/20/07  12:23am

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Message To: Koi   In reference to Message Id: 1287400

If I had access to a camera I would have a picture up, sorry. But the monitor is a little too young to start on large mice. Itís only about11-13" long. Iím sure it could take on a pinkie with no problems but the fact of the matter is that he just wonít eat period.

05/20/07  12:26am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Xfaroutx   In reference to Message Id: 1287398

You have been quite misinformed about what the top breeders are using for substrate. Most are using dirt. If you have been reading the entry level monitor literature it is likely very outdated. The coco stuff is much better than newspaper but soon the replies will begin to roll in and they will all say DIRT or dirt sand mix. What are the temps in the cage? You should have a well insulated cage that will hold some humidity, Temps ranging from 80-95 ambient and a basking area of around 130. They need nice tight hiding places all around the cage so they can feel secure in the various temperatures throughout the cage. In order to regulate their metabolism they need a temperature gradient, meaning a range of temps.

05/20/07  12:29am

Crocdoc
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1287410

I should have been more specific. When I asked for set-up, I meant everything. Coco-bedding doesnít tell us much about it.

What we need:

1. surface basking temperature
2. cool end of the enclosure temperature
3. aquarium or wooden enclosure
4. screen top or sealed top
5. handled all the time or left alone
6. available hide spots (not íyesí but what they are)

That sort of thing.

Cheers

05/20/07  12:36am

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Iím fully aware of how the cage is to be set up. Itís basic information to have a secure hiding place for the animal as well as the humidity level needing to be maintained, the only problem with the information is that it has nothing to do with the fact that the animal isnít eating, the issue isnít how uninformed I am as to how the professionals use their substrate. So information on how to help this monitor rather then basic housing information (which I am fully aware of how to do so) is what Iíd like to focus more on. I am aware however that the enclosure can be the problem with why he wonít eat and I appreciate your concern also, so thank you but weíre are getting nowhere by criticizing make lack of knowledge of professional dealings.

05/20/07  12:39am

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Message To: Crocdoc   In reference to Message Id: 1287420

The basking temperature stays within about 80-90 degrees
The cool end is about 67-74 degrees
The new enclosure the sick monitor is in is wooden, itís old enclosure was an aquarium
Screen top on old enclosure, front opening/locking new cage
Handled only sometimes, maybe twice to three times a week for a very short amount of time
The hiding spots are a log that is buried with an opening on the surface, and then they seem to like to burrow under a rock I put in there
A large water dish since they love swimming

05/20/07  12:45am

Koi
View Profile

Whoa those temps have got to go up!!! Around 130 for basking and 80-95 ambient just like Sidbarvin said! Stop handling COMPLETLY!!! Add a few more hides as well through out the enclosure. This is most likely why your Nile is not eating!!!

-Jon-

05/20/07  12:56am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Xfaroutx   In reference to Message Id: 1287422

Basic husbandry has everything to do with your problem period. Something very basic is lacking, most likely, if your monitor will not eat, plain and simple. What information does it have to do with and if you know what it has to do with then why are you asking for advice. The reason is because you are clueless. Again many problems lie in improper basic husbandry. Nobody here can help without the specific information that has been requested. Nobody here has criticized you yet. You have given nothing to criticize. Coco bedding and one hide is all we have to go on.

05/20/07  12:56am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1287434

The person is fully aware of how it is to be set up yet has it set up completely wrong. Hmmmm.

05/20/07  12:59am

DRZRider
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1287434

Quote:

Iím fully aware of how the cage is to be set up.

Obviously you are not.

Listen to what people are telling you. It is getting somewhere since they are helping you, but you are not listening. Fix the husbandry and the monitor will be ok, donít fix it and it will die. We see it all the time.

Ed

05/20/07  01:03am

Koi
View Profile

Message To: DRZRider   In reference to Message Id: 1287440

I get so fustruated when people do these things!

-Jon-

05/20/07  01:05am

DRZRider
View Profile

Message To: Koi   In reference to Message Id: 1287442

If you mean ask for help, and then ignore it. It frustrates me too.

Ed

05/20/07  01:07am

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1287437

Thank you Jon for the more mature approach in giving me advice. The temps will go up, the humidity then too will also go up, the coco soft is extremely nice with holding in moisture. I still feel like maybe constipation may be a factor in the animals all but healthy eating habits. I have heard from bearded dragon breeders that soaking the animal and rubbing the vent is a good way to make the animal have a bowel movement. It has worked on one of my little sisters beardeds but I am unsure it would work with a monitor seeing as to how it is a completely different animal. I will take the advice on not holding the animals also thank you for that also.

05/20/07  01:10am

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Message To: Xfaroutx   In reference to Message Id: 1287448

I also wonít to apologize, you were all trying to help and I mis-read and took it for criticism. I just feel like I want this problem fixed and I want a more immediate approach rather then husbandry advice, though I realize it has everything to do with why the monitor isnít eating. If anyone might have any other advice Iíd be more then happy to accept it

05/20/07  01:14am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Koi   In reference to Message Id: 1287442

You see, the Niles are burrowing. They are telling you something very important when they do that. And what would that be? They need something to burrow in. They canít burrow in a couple inches of coco bedding now can they? Maybe they would like something deeper. Where do they spend most of their time? Hiding most likely or trying to bask in the sorely inadequate basking area maybe? They know that they cannot metabolize food without enough heat. The food will rot in the gut so they will eat very little if at all. They will also not eat if they are over stressed, like taken out a few times a week coupled with one measly hiding spot and nothing substantial enough to burrow in and no way to thermoregulate. Try listening to what we are telling you and putting to use, as Ed said. Only a sick, stressed monitor does not eat. Again your problem lies in something very basic, most likely.

05/20/07  01:19am

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1287457

Thanks but I think I have enough substrate, itís about 4-5" deep so that may not be the problem. I have just gone downstairs and rearranged both cages so that there are more hiding spots. I have also changed the lights in the cages to heat up the cages more, the temperature in the cage under the basking spots when I last looked went up to 115 degrees, and I think it should still rise. Any suggestions on bulb watts. Also I know I keep asking but does the vent rubbing technique work on the monitors, due to current responses I donít think it should be done for it may stress out the animal.

05/20/07  01:27am

DRZRider
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1287457

I recently got this nile. It was 27 inches long and weighed a little less than a pound. I have it on a dirt/sand mixture with buried pieces of plywood for it to tunnel under. There is a cat litter box bottom full of water and a smaller water dish in the enclosure. There are places to climb also. The basking spot is 130 to 140 degrees depending on time of day and the temperatures vary from the upper 70s to 90. It eats anything and everything I put in the enclosure and it has grown noticeably. With a little help from you, your niles will be eating and acting like monitors too.

Ed

05/20/07  01:28am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: DRZRider   In reference to Message Id: 1287465

The basking temps we are referring to are surface temps. Surface temps cannot be measured with a thermometer. You need a temp gun to measure surface temps. A temp gun gives an immediate reading of the surface temperature. You can get one at radioshack, an autoparts store or at Proexotics.com. MUST HAVE.

05/20/07  01:39am

Koi
View Profile

Message To: Sidbarvin   In reference to Message Id: 1287476

A defenite MUST HAVE! Now thats what a Nile should look and act like, good work Ed!

-Jon-

05/20/07  01:43am

BIG-HYDRO
View Profile

Message To: Koi   In reference to Message Id: 1287480

You would be alot better off to listen to the advise on husbandy from these guys. Just read the care sheets and you will see. Husbandry is usually the main reason for not eating.

05/20/07  02:59am

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area