Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors Forum

Lshaw   Krusty   Lshaw   Sidbarvin  
 Member  Message

Lshaw
View Profile

Feeding schedule help

I am not new to raising lizards, just monitors...I have done my research on them, and I am fixing to purchace a Nile from a pet store because I have noticed that they have had this Nile for at Least 1 year. I know that it should be in a way bigger enviroment than what it is in. They have it in a 30 gal. tank. It will be 1 yr old in July. My fiance will be through building the cage based off the cage specs on How to Cages posts ...Thanks! BUt my question is this...When I went in there, I grilled them asking them all sorts of questions, one of them were about feeding..they said only feed him 2 times a week and they just now introduced it to fuzzies, and that I needed to keep him on fuzzies or pinkies...not mix it up...two times a week sounds like I am starving him? What do you guys suggest?

05/13/07  11:01am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Lshaw   In reference to Message Id: 1279873

Feeding schedule help

Pet stores feed just enough to keep them alive, unfortunately. You should feed daily and several mice per feeding. If you ’did your research’, what do you know about a Nile monitor’s normal temperment and maximum size they attain? There are other monitor species out there that lend to captivity better-as in, you’ll actually keep it as an adult and not want to sell it.

05/13/07  11:14am

Lshaw
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 1279885

Feeding schedule help

From what I have read and reasearched, the temps need to be between 85-90 with atleast 80% humidity and they grow to be 5-6 feet long. AAm I on the right track?I do not purchase any type of pet until I know exactly what I need to know..I am not the spur of the moment buyer, because they are cute....

05/13/07  11:21am

Sidbarvin
View Profile

Message To: Lshaw   In reference to Message Id: 1279889

Feeding schedule help

Those ambient temps sound good, maybe a little lower like 80 on the cool end. You need a temperature gradient, meaning a variety of temps to choose from. You need a basking area of like 130-150, surface temps. You need a temp gun to measure surface temps. If you can find a copy, there is a great book by a fella named Rob Faust called Nile Monitors. All the basics are explained, easy to read. Also keep posting here. There are many people like Krusty with years of experience who are always willing to help.

Roger

05/13/07  11:41am

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area