Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors-Dwarf Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors-Dwarf Forum

Felcia   Ritt   Ulises   SHvar   Edward Howard   SHvar   Agazts   MIGGLER   Bellle_foudre   Huong  
 Member  Message

Felcia
View Profile

Green Tree Monitor

How big do Green Tree Monitors get and how big of an enclosure do they need?

05/16/06  01:38am

Ritt
View Profile

Message To: Felcia   In reference to Message Id: 788033

Green Tree Monitor

Largest recorded specimen of Varanus prasinus was 29.5 cm in Snout-Vent Length, and 84.5 cm in Total length, so theyre a little under 3 feet total, with about 2/3rds of that length being their tail, which is really cool and fully prehensile (they can grip branches with it).
As for cage size, these guys are highly arboreal, so you want something tall, but I canít say how big for sure, as I havenít kept any, and canít afford any at the moment.
Remember, these guys are not easy, and they will not do well with being handled, they would be pretty much just display animals. Also, they are quite expensive, a pair will likely cost you more than $1000, perhaps even more that $2000.
Good luck though, these are absolutely gorgeous varanids.

05/16/06  11:08am

Ulises
View Profile

Message To: Ritt   In reference to Message Id: 788315

Green Tree Monitor

i saw a emerald green tree monitor for sale right from the breeder it cost 1325.00 lol thats alot post here wit pics if u get 1 i might suggest a big chameleon cage for 1 i not sure though.

07/11/06  01:08am

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Ulises   In reference to Message Id: 877802

No, a chameleon cage wont work..

They are almost exclusively WC (no matter what the importer says about them being 2nd generation CBB), they are fragile monitors, loaded with parasites, and strees very easy, with them stress will kill fast.
Expensive, and not a choice anyone without alot of room and some good monitor experience should even consider.
They are also not a dwarf species.

07/11/06  03:59am

Edward Howard
View Profile

Message To: SHvar   In reference to Message Id: 877913

No, a chameleon cage wont work..

i saw a lovly one at London zoo, but for some reason they were doing a lot of spiecs mixing? this monitor was in the same tank as several snake neck turtles, i was very consernd about that. a turtle could easily take of a toe, leg or tail. and the poor creature was expected to drink that scummy water the turtle poop in every day? carzy. also would a ET monitor be able to kill a turtle? and in another tank they had a huge water monitor lizard, with turtles! about 12 RES and somehuge black ones. were they food or what?

07/12/06  05:35am

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Edward Howard   In reference to Message Id: 879713

Somehow I dont think they care.

Its the idea that more animals in the cages draw more visitors, and take less space. Besides if the water monitor eats the turtlers RES cost so little and most keepers give them up after they have had them for a while, so it doesnt cost them much to replace them.

07/13/06  12:05pm

Agazts
View Profile

Green Tree Monitor

hi there....the green tree monitor is actual easy to tame( but is also take consuming).....even i can feed them by hand...they are easy to get stress, so you have to make them feel comfortable with you by putting their enclossure always facing @ near to you ( to make them used and expose to human) ......so by that, the monitor does not regognize you as a treat. my green tree monitor, can even pick food from my hand...everytime i go near the enclossure, they come to me asking for food.......... good luck..............anyone owned a roughneck monitor and croc.monitor?

08/27/06  12:07am

MIGGLER
View Profile

Green Tree Monitor

I know this post is a little old BUT

Tree monitors will get about 28" to 3 feet long.

For the incloser you will need 36 by 36 base about 5 feet tall they are a TREE monitor the love to spend most of the time OFF the ground in the trees.

Some people like to get figis to put int he cage but as your pet will grow the lims on that small tree will break or just bend so i will just get a long branch. I personally do not have a green or blue but i know some one who does and i have a timor witch is like the same thing but cheeper.

06/11/09  04:01am

Bellle_foudre
View Profile

Message To: MIGGLER   In reference to Message Id: 2020128

Green Tree Monitor

lol holy cow what a old post

06/14/09  02:21pm

Huong
View Profile

Green Tree Monitor

Good post. I appreciate it