Monitors-Dwarf Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors-Dwarf Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

IAMNOTSUNGHO123   IAMNOTSUNGHO123   Kriminaal   Kriminaal  

Member  Message

IAMNOTSUNGHO123
View Profile

FRECKLED MONITORS

Hi guys! I’m new to this forum. I am an experienced herp owner (i mostly own lizards but i do have a few snakes and turtles). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Freckled Monitors (varanus tristis orientalis). Someone offered me a breeding pair and i couldn’t say no!
i just finished making an enclosure for them. Can someone answer these questions: Are they typically shy? Do they tolerate handling?

12/06/11  10:10pm

IAMNOTSUNGHO123
View Profile

Message To: IAMNOTSUNGHO123   In reference to Message Id: 2246407

FRECKLED MONITORS

In case u guys are wondering, this is not my first time owning monitors...

I’ve had a green tree monitor, a blue tailed monitor, a black throat monitor, a trio of kimberly rock monitors, a pair of savannah monitors, and i used to breed yellow and red ackies.

12/06/11  10:16pm

Kriminaal
View Profile

Message To: IAMNOTSUNGHO123   In reference to Message Id: 2246408

FRECKLED MONITORS

The v.t.orientalis aren’t as common as the v.t.tristis are at least in Canada anyway.
From what I’ve heard they are less attractive than the v.t.t.
I’ve only had experience with v.t.t. but would assume they are quite similiar. Definitely more shy and reclusive at least my females were.
Set them up with some height as they really seem to enjoy the very tops of habitats. Very agile and quick.

I had an adult male escape in my Jeep once. Man that was tricky to catch him again.

12/16/11  11:13am

Kriminaal
View Profile

Message To: Kriminaal   In reference to Message Id: 2247371

FRECKLED MONITORS

As far as handling, I never went to that point with mine. The male was huge and very protective of his surroundings. So i didn’t want to mess with him. But if you set the habitat in an area where they see you coming and going they will grow accustomed to you.

12/16/11  11:16am

Back to Monitors-Dwarf Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area