Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors-Dwarf Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors-Dwarf Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scale_fever   SkinksGalore   Scale_fever   Arashikage1   Scale_fever   Kriminaal   Kelso reptiles   Varanus_odom  

Member  Message

Scale_fever
View Profile

What would u put in here!!

This is 4x3x4, but inside only 3" in hight is used,1’’ is a mixture of topsoil & play sand.Im open to suggestions ,criticism,questions....Thank you for looking .

11/30/11  02:16pm

SkinksGalore
View Profile

Message To: Scale_fever   In reference to Message Id: 2245741

I wouldnt ever use play sand for your reptile or amphibian, it has been known to cause gut impaction and kill the animal. But providing you change the sand out with more soil or get sand from a reptile oriented company you could house many different species in there. Are you looking to get a snake, lizard, salamander or frog? Also would you prefer a larger animal or a smaller one?

12/06/11  02:18am

Scale_fever
View Profile

Message To: SkinksGalore   In reference to Message Id: 2246340

Lizard on the wee larger side, then the common gecko! That’s for sure.I got enough snakes for now!!! I was hoping in the lines of ackie or timor monitor.I know it’s to short for timors,but from all of what i’ve read about ackies,it would be decent....

12/06/11  06:42am

Arashikage1
View Profile

Message To: Scale_fever   In reference to Message Id: 2246349

Hi

Impaction from consuming substrate is usually only an issue if the animal is compromised (dehydrated) or under heated so they can’t fully metabolize what they eat. Monitors digestive system is designed to be able to break down shells, bones, fur, etc. I dont think you will have any problems so long as the animal is healthy. Personally I don’t like to use play sand as it is all just fine washed particles to water tends to sink to the bottom, at least that has been my experience. I use paver sand or even general purpose sand from HD as it has different size particles so it holds shape and moisture better.

As far as the cage goes, it pretty but I’m not sure it is a good monitor cage. But I don’t know temp/humidity specs either. My opinion would be to skip timors in favor of ackies (cause I love my ackies) or tristis.

Mike W

12/14/11  09:33am

Scale_fever
View Profile

Message To: Arashikage1   In reference to Message Id: 2247128

Hello.I wanted to use decomposed granite but i cant seem to find any around here.Humidity holds very well & heating geesh i feel like i’m getting nuked when i put my head in there!!Im not a fan of Timorensis either Ackie all the way!But because i had some back injuries this year i did not reach my annual income,so i was heading for the cheapest option!If not,the enclosure would be a lil bigger & there would be a possible trio in there temporary.For now i’m just waiting to find a good deal on some healthy Ackies.might be impossible but every problem has it’s solution!!I adore Ackies from looks to behavior,i try & spend as much time possible reading,studying these marvelous lizards.Before i get them!!Hoping one day i shall have some blue trees,Pilbarensis,Kimberly’s & of coarse Ackies. But thank you Mike for your advice,i’ll give it a shoot as soon as the possability presents itself.Thanks,..... Jose...

12/14/11  10:17am

Kriminaal
View Profile

Message To: Scale_fever   In reference to Message Id: 2247132

Yep, it’s a good setup for an Ackie.

12/16/11  11:18am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kriminaal   In reference to Message Id: 2247373

looks good for a green tree or blue tree monitor
i absolutly love them I WANT ONE SO BAD hahaha

12/24/11  04:20pm

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2248366

Tree monitor would certainly grow out of it and require more height anyways. I’d put a couple baby Ackies in there. Sand/Soil mix is great. Just make sure your temps are good and your lizard won’t have a problem digesting anything.

02/06/12  11:51am

Back to Monitors-Dwarf Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area