Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors-Dwarf Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors-Dwarf Forum

Klink67   Kriminaal   Silverbinder   Ackie123  
 Member  Message

Klink67
View Profile

Second lizard

hi i currently have a crested gecko and was looking to get a second lizard. I was wondering wich would be better an ackie or a timor monitor at my local pet stores i can only get the timor but i want something that wont get to big. Could i keep either of them in a 40 breeder. I was also considering a savanah monitor wich i can easily get and the stores always have in stock the timor they only have once in a great while. Also could I feed them frozen mice and turkey only or do they need insects. I cant do crickets or roaches i could possibly get some mealworms and i have waxworms.

11/21/08  03:53pm

Kriminaal
View Profile

Message To: Klink67   In reference to Message Id: 1902745

Second lizard

A 40 gal breeder isn’t good for any monitor past 3 months old.
Unless you’re willing to build an 8ft long habitat for an adult Sav. Don’t even think about it.

11/24/08  08:24am

Silverbinder
View Profile

Message To: Kriminaal   In reference to Message Id: 1904100

Second lizard

Avoid the monitors! Instead if you want a larger lizard try a pair or trio of bearded lizards. The Forty would be okay for them for a couple of years. Later consider something like a monitor. A monitor is a formidable fighting machine with teeth, claws and sturdy tails. Many have attitudes to match and some have been reported to be mildly venomous. (No - I’m not talking about the bacteria in KD’s saliva.)

12/29/08  02:13pm

Ackie123
View Profile

Message To: Klink67   In reference to Message Id: 1902745

Second lizard

hi ya.

i have an ackie and he is the best lizard iv had by far. i used to have a beardie before but he was nothing compared to my ackie. it does take a lot of consideration though. he needs a very large viv-the bigger the better-as they love to climb and play. mine runs round like a nutter 12hrs a day. they take a lot of patience to if you want to handle them. there not a quick whim of a pet if not properly looked after the can incur big vet bills! if you do choose to get one and do look after him properly he will repay you 20x over with the joy you get out of him.

01/18/09  11:46am

Back to Monitors-Dwarf Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area