Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors-Dwarf Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors-Dwarf Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Takagomi   Field_Herper   Marshall92   Anole_keeper   Field_Herper   Takagomi   Field_Herper   Pipper_ripper   ValleyDragons   Field_Herper   Field_Herper   Field_Herper   Field_Herper   Geckogirlemi   Field_Herper   Geckogirlemi   Field_Herper   Geckogirlemi   Field_Herper   Geckogirlemi   Butche   Reptile_dan   Dracolvr   Python Curtus   Kioka   Reedie   Timorguy   Whiplash Hornet   Inferno14   Reptiledude063  
Pages 1

Member  Message

Takagomi
View Profile

How do ackies do with handling?

title kinda says it . do they tame if ya wanna use that word

10/23/06  07:13am

Field_Herper
View Profile

Message To: Takagomi   In reference to Message Id: 1032666

Ackies are said to be more tolerant of handling that other varanids. My female is not very tolerant of me at all. She hides all of the time and I can only watch her if I remain completely still so she doesnt realize Im there. My male is a different story. He is very inquisitive and will come over to check me out and sometimes climb onto me (not out of affection, but curiosity). He will tolerate gentle handling (well, climbing in my hands) but, like most animals, doesnt like being grasped.

10/23/06  06:43pm

Marshall92
View Profile

Message To: Field_Herper   In reference to Message Id: 1033255

they dont. no monitor does.

10/23/06  07:16pm

Anole_keeper
View Profile

Message To: Takagomi   In reference to Message Id: 1032666

My ackie runs like a bolt of lightning when I get too close to him. I wouldnt even consider trying to handle him.
-Adam

10/23/06  08:26pm

Field_Herper
View Profile

Message To: Anole_keeper   In reference to Message Id: 1033421

I meant to add to the end of my post that no reptile likes human contact. Tame really means that they seek out human attention. Some may tolerate it though. They can learn to trust you after a long period of time. They may also recognize you as their source of food. But no, ackies, in fact all reptiles and amphibians, do not "tame."

10/23/06  10:54pm

Takagomi
View Profile

Message To: Field_Herper   In reference to Message Id: 1033651

i think im feelin the tegus more than monitors... shame too cuz monitors are sexy lizards

10/24/06  02:21am

Field_Herper
View Profile

Message To: Takagomi   In reference to Message Id: 1033901

The tegu may tolerate your handling better, but it will not enjoy your presence any more than a monitor. I would personally choose a monitor over any other lizard, but I am not really into handling my animals very much. However, you should get whatever YOU desire most.

10/24/06  06:11pm

Pipper_ripper
View Profile

Message To: Field_Herper   In reference to Message Id: 1034548

hi all new to this site but after a nose round it seems great!!

i used to have a sav (RIP) and now have an ackie, the sav was brilliant but hard to handle at a young age, but as he got bigger (3ft) on a sunny day would come up the pub with me and bask on a bench, hed also lay across me and my gf on the sofa while we were watching tv. my ackie on the other hand who is about 10 months old and very very very fast! doesnt seem to settle to easily. saying that though he shows no sign of fear or aggression when Im close to him and is quite happy for me to pick him up. the only thing i can say is get him used to you gradually, from time to time place your hand in his viv and see if he approaches, get him used to your scent. hes not gonna jump straight onto your hand and if you go to grab him he will run, be firm and show no fear pick him up and take him outta his domain (probably the wrong word to use?) i.e his viv, he should settle then and if you got somewhere you can place him down to let him run around and explore safely.....do it. just stay close coz like i said their fast

have i gone on too much for a first post? Im sorry its late here in England and i need sleep lol!

pip

10/24/06  06:59pm

ValleyDragons
View Profile

Message To: Pipper_ripper   In reference to Message Id: 1034622

Wow, Im shocked at some of these responses! I have two ackies, a male and a female, who tolerate handling quite well, and are very curious of humans. I have not had them long enough to tell if they actually enjoy interaction, but they are defintely tame. As far as lizards of any species not enjoying interaction with humans, you obviously have never owned a bearded dragon, lol. My dragons seek out my attention and become very jeolous and sulking if I hold another lizard. They respond to my voice and appears to understand simple words. If you are looking for the ultimate in tame and interactive lizards I recommend argentine black and white tegus. Those guys are simply awesome!

Valley

11/01/06  08:41pm

Field_Herper
View Profile

Message To: ValleyDragons   In reference to Message Id: 1044958

NO reptile seeks out human attention. They are completely non-social animals. They do not need or want interaction with other organisms. They do not enjoy you as companion. They may approach you out of curiosity, as they realize you as their source of food, or for warmth. If they climb to the top of your body, they may do it to feel safe, because many of them feel safe observing their surroundings from a high point. They may eventually learn to trust you and just tolerate your presence.

By the way, I keep my animals as captives and just enjoy watching their natural behaviors, not as "pets" like dogs, cats or birds. This is just how I feel reptiles should be kept. You may keep them however you wish.

11/01/06  10:38pm

Field_Herper
View Profile

NO reptile seeks out human attention. They are completely non-social animals. They do not need or want interaction with other organisms. They do not enjoy you as companion. They may approach you out of curiosity, as they realize you as their source of food, or for warmth. If they climb to the top of your body, they may do it to feel safe, because many of them feel safe observing their surroundings from a high point. They may eventually learn to trust you and just tolerate your presence.

By the way, I keep my animals as captives and just enjoy watching their natural behaviors, not as "pets" like dogs, cats or birds. This is just how I feel reptiles should be kept. You may keep them however you wish.

11/01/06  10:38pm

Field_Herper
View Profile

11/01/06  10:39pm

Field_Herper
View Profile

Message To: Field_Herper   In reference to Message Id: 1045179

Oops. My bad. I only clicked the post button once. I dont know why it triple posted...

11/01/06  10:50pm

Geckogirlemi
View Profile

Message To: Field_Herper   In reference to Message Id: 1045196

My reptiles ARE pets, no matter if they "love" me or not. I personally dont give a crap. But they are my pets, I didnt realize just because an animal does not "love" you means that they are not a pet.....

11/03/06  03:07am

Field_Herper
View Profile

Message To: Geckogirlemi   In reference to Message Id: 1046602

You keep yours as pet type animals. I keep mine to watch their natural behaviors (and I have always been fascinated in reptiles in general). Your reptiles dont love you, like you, or want anything to do with you (unless perhaps if you have food). I looked the word pet up in the dictionary-it says "domestic or tamed animal kept for pleasure or companionship." The ONLY part correct about that is the pleasure part. I enjoy my reptiles, but I dont keep them as companions. Dogs, cats (questionable), and birds make good pets because they are pack/flock animals. They live with others of their own kind in the wild, and people have just replaced that in captivity. Not to mention that dogs (most of them) have been selectively bred over thousands of years for one purpose-to be "mans best friend."

11/03/06  12:13pm

Geckogirlemi
View Profile

Message To: Field_Herper   In reference to Message Id: 1046813

Wow, the more you post, the stupider you get!!!!! Dont tell me how I keep my animals, thank you. I dont carry my reptiles around, they get handled very very little, usually only when Im cleaning out tanks, and when I check on them too see if they are ok. But this is really pointless, I need to go and debate with people who know what they are talking about......

11/04/06  02:16am

Field_Herper
View Profile

Message To: Geckogirlemi   In reference to Message Id: 1047562

And you just get more and more stubborn...

From what I read, you are supportive of the techniques over in the bearded dragon and leopard gecko forum. Forgive me for thinking you are the same. Many of them think that their animals are their "friends" and like being held and out of their cage. They are supportive of force handling ("taming" their animal by holding it until it stops squirming). There is a load of BS on those forums. I was just telling people that a "captive" would be better word than "pet", and that their animals will never like them or like being held.

Oooooh, you called me stupid. That hurts... Insulting me wont get you anywhere.

11/04/06  03:16pm

Geckogirlemi
View Profile

Message To: Field_Herper   In reference to Message Id: 1048026

I agree that you dont need to force an animal to be held.......I dont force any of my animals to be held.......I got reptiles to look at not too hold......Not that Im saying holding them is the most horrible thing you can do.....

11/04/06  04:23pm

Field_Herper
View Profile

Message To: Geckogirlemi   In reference to Message Id: 1048100

Finally, we agree on something. Sometimes, though, it just seems like you are trying to try to start a fight with me...

No, holding them isnt the worst thing you can do for your animal. But, it can stress them out, which can lead to all kinds of problems and eventually death. Some animals tolerate handling better than others and dont stress as easily.

11/04/06  05:23pm

Geckogirlemi
View Profile

Message To: Field_Herper   In reference to Message Id: 1048153

Haha Nope, not trying to start a fight......I just say anything that pops into my head at the time......

11/04/06  05:55pm

Butche
View Profile

Message To: Geckogirlemi   In reference to Message Id: 1048184

why dont you just enjoy your reptiles anyway you choose.

11/11/06  06:01pm

Reptile_dan
View Profile

Message To: Butche   In reference to Message Id: 1056787

I agree with most of you Reptiles shouldnt be handled on a daily bases, they dont like it that much, although my beardie will sit on my shoulder he hates being held. But it is good to gain their trust, for example All my lizards Beardie, Ackie & swifts will take food from my hand. I must stress that this isnt the only way I feed them most the times I let them hunt. But by feeding them by hand means they trust me, so they dont run away when Im around. It also gives a close up look of the lizard without stressing it out which is important for health checks etc. I was told once to place a item in with my Ackie which had my smell on it, the Ackie would then get used to it & be move confident around you because hes comfortable with the smell in his home. Not sure if its true or not, but mine doesnt run from me only the hover, that drives it crazy.

04/05/07  08:57am

Dracolvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_dan   In reference to Message Id: 1234794

Haha Emily nice job -I agree.

Megan

04/13/07  04:24pm

Python Curtus
View Profile

Message To: Dracolvr   In reference to Message Id: 1244986

On the whole handling situation I think depending on the animal some do enjoy human interaction and do know you care for them. Not just as the food factory but as a companion. Not just mine but im sure almost everyone else bearded dragon will gladly jump or climb onto your hand without being forced or even coaxed which to me at least seems like it enjoy interaction. It has no problem being held or sitting and just relaxing anywhere. I also work at a reptile rescue and I can definitely say that even snakes know different people. Not only my own snakes know people and react differently and even try to make you handle them but they certainly exhibit a personality of their own. Monitors especially have the intelligence to understand human interaction and handling. My coworker has a black roughneck monitor which enjoys people never even shows defensive behavior or anything of the sort. You saying your animals do not "seek out human attention" or "enjoy interaction" is the same to me as saying they have no conscious thought process and that they only think of eating and staying alive.

05/12/07  01:37am

Kioka
View Profile

Message To: Python Curtus   In reference to Message Id: 1278688

I think it is more how the animal view you as. The boids I have come in contact with enjoy being handled, but they treat the handlers as a tree, not a pal or anything like that.

Most of the ones that I have seen that are eager to go toward human are either looking for food, warmth, security, or just exploring. If they are really interested in humans, they would try to show affection; however no reptile I have seen show unmistakable affection. Yes, some of their behaviour can be assumed to be affection, but once one understand animal behaviourism, one will realize it is just applied human characteristics.

08/15/07  03:15am

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Kioka   In reference to Message Id: 1404133

"NO reptile enjoys human interaction"
Actually, some tortoises enjoy to be petted or patted on the head, Ive heard of them following their keepers around their pens or cages until the keeper pats them on the head. Some tortoises will also come to a keeper when they see them, or some will come to their name.

-Reed

08/15/07  01:22pm

Timorguy
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1404598

so you should never hold your reptile? that makes sense. if they arent stressed out or try to run, bite, or claw then they should be fine with handling

08/17/07  09:32pm

Whiplash Hornet
View Profile

Message To: Timorguy   In reference to Message Id: 1407849

You say reptiles can’t be tamed? you’ve obviously never had a corn snake. No not all reptiles will tame but to say NO reptiles will tame is completley wrong. Many reptiles will become tame although not neccesairly affectionate and they will seek human interaction, small lizard and some snake predominantley, even amphibians will tame and enjoy being hand fed. I’m sorry but if they’ve proven that the Komodo Dragon, a 9ft lizard capable of killing a small elephant (Thats why they evolved so big) can ’effectivley’ tame, recignise and be affectionate towards their keeper then i dont belive that reptiles (especially snakes who actually enjoy handling) cannot be tame and affectionate.

02/17/08  05:23am

Inferno14
View Profile

Message To: Whiplash Hornet   In reference to Message Id: 1626850

i agree all the way. i believe that, no, not all reptiles will become "tame" and "affectionate," but i have never heard anything so stubborn as to have everyone say that no reptile can become something along the lines of tame. yes, they are curious and will most likely recognize you for food, but they aren’t as heartless as you may think. it is true that reptiles act mostly on instinct, and because of this our preseption (forgive me for spelling) of them is that they only eat and reproduce and so it proves that they cannot interact somewhat effectionatly with humans, but that shouldn’t be the case at all. my bearded dragon Spike that i’ve owned for maybe three or four years now wouldn’t let me put him down for around and hour and a half after a reptile presentation we did. no, it’s definately not because of warmth, for i am always freezing-cold, not to mention it was the seering hot summer. and no, it’s not because of food either. he wasn’t even on my shoulder to get a view, he was on my arm, and when i tried to put him back into his terrarium he would grip my arm very tightly, until i finally pulled him off. i went to shut his lid and he jumped back on, and so i found myself carrying him around with me until he decided it was time to get off. there was no force at all, as it is clearly shown.

my point is, not all reptiles are heartless eating machines. they, like every other animal, can become trusting and possibly even effectionate toward keepers. i don’t think of my reptiles as pets, nor do i hold them on a constant basis, but have come to think of them as friends with all due respect for their natural behaviours. i have owned reptiles since i was four, in fact i still have a few living from that time. don’t get me wrong, i’m not saying i’m the best because i ’m sure there are far better keepers than me out there, but i’m simply saying that i have observed reptiles and been fascinated by them for many years and have come to believe that not all reptiles act completely out of instinct.

reptiles themselves know who likes them, who is afraid, and who doesn’t like them. for example, i went into petco (don’t buy anything there, by the way) and a lady was having trougle with a Florida Kingsnake. the snake was crapping all over her, musking her, and squirming like it was about to get eaten. so i walked over and asked if i could try to hold it, and so she gladly handed it over to me. you know what happened? it stopped squirming, etc. the second it was in my hand. that snake was not tamed by any means, and i was not forcely handling it. i simply let it sit in the palm of my hand, not fingers curled around it or anything. now, i’m not sure what anybody wants to call that, but i know it wasn’t because it was tired out.

P.S. i’m not going to tell anybody that all reptiles can or will be tamed, nor to handle their reptiles daily, but i will say that maybe a few people need to broaden their horizon. looks into things that they never considered before because they think they know everything there is to know about their reptiles. the fact is, how do you know reptiles like or dislike anything? can you read their minds? if you can i would love to know what they told you. none of us are in any position to speak for our herps when they can’t even speak for themselves.

inferno - sorry it’s so long

02/17/08  11:36am

Reptiledude063
View Profile

Message To: Inferno14   In reference to Message Id: 1626986

The same can be said of my girlfriend!

02/20/17  03:58am

Pages 1

Back to Monitors-Dwarf Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area