Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Milk Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Charms   Takahiro111   Herper01   Takahiro111   Herper01   ARENEPEZ   ARENEPEZ  

Member  Message

Charms
View Profile

I need information about Milk Snakes!

I have been thinking of getting a milk snake because I have an extra terrarium and have always wanted a snake. Though I have a few questions I want to be answered by someone who knows what they are talking about (Sorry snake amateurs, but I want answers from experts)

First off how dangerous are Milk Snakes? I know they aren’t venomous but they to bite (They have to eat obviously). How painful Is the bite and does it pose any major health risk?

Are milk snakes good to handle? I want a pet I can hold from time to time while I’m drawing or something, but I don’t know if they are the calmest snakes. I would most likely handle it from a young age so it’s used to me.

How large will its habitat need to be? I understand they are relatively smaller snakes (from what I know 20-28 inches in most breeds) but I want them to have a comfortable about of space

is there anything I should know before getting one? I want to make sure it lives a healthy life so I want to know any sort of common health problem or care mishap so I can avoid that.

11/12/15  03:21pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Charms   In reference to Message Id: 2315679

1.It depends on what kind of milksnake your getting. Milksnakes aren’t dangerous and it depends on your pain tolerance. But from a smaller snake it shouldn’t hurt but more of an surprise although depending on how he bites. Feeding/aggressive response bites hurts more than a regular bite meaning he bite and let go/striking bite but then again it depends on the snake size/teeth and individual pain tolerance level. When you get bit you may bleed a little no big deal just wash with soap/water and use neosporin or something.
2. It depends on the individual if it wants to be held. From my experience I think snakes just tolerate handling while some don’t. These animals isn’t quite the snake that will stay still while you draw or something.... maybe a ball python is suited for that. All milksnakes will have a different personality some can be calm and some with an attitude. Snakes at young ages can be quick and skittish trying to flee(some at least) so you can handle but not too much to cause stress.
3. The habitat will depend on the kind of milksnake your getting for babies it can be a 10 gal or tub equivalent to that size for any kind of milksnake but for adults it can range from a 20-50 gallon tank possibly even larger.
4. Before getting one you should know some species don’t like to be handled. Adult sizes can range from 24’’ to 5-6’ depending on the species of milksnake your getting. No pine/cedar substrate. Also im pretty sure they brumate. Some common health problems and how to avoid I’ll list below:

* mouth rot: make sure the enclosure isn’t too small and the snake can’t see through the glass so you can block it off from using a background.
* respiratory infection (RI): make sure the temps are correct so he’s not cold and humidity should be too high. Cage should be clean of feces.
* mites: wash your hands before/after handling your snake especially if you’ve been around a petstore or someone else collection and change your clothing. If you’ve been at expos or anything else’s same rules apply. If introducing another snake to the collection quarantine the snake in another area on paper towel for a month or so.
*scale rot: don’t leave your snake on wet substrate and in a dirty cage.
*abrasions: make sure decors don’t have pointy/sharp edges.
* rodent wounds: don’t feed live.
* parasites: keep in clean cage, see a vet regularly and feed frozen thawed rodents(f/t).
* regurgitation: don’t handle snake 24-48 hrs. after feeding, feed appropriate size prey, and make sure temps are correct.

11/12/15  04:46pm

Herper01
View Profile

Message To: Charms   In reference to Message Id: 2315679

I don’t have the time or patience to school ya,,go get some books and do your homework,,Smith, Bartlett, Applegate, etc.

04/07/16  10:57pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Herper01   In reference to Message Id: 2317741

This person came on the forum looking for help not someone to acting like an a** to him/her. Not to mention this post is old.

04/08/16  11:40pm

Herper01
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317756

Need to be serious and responsible dude i just spent 130$ at the vet for one of mine.

06/20/16  10:36pm

ARENEPEZ
View Profile

Message To: Herper01   In reference to Message Id: 2318850

Herper01 this is the second post I’ve come across of yours where you are very rude to people asking for help and such. This is a forum and chat area. This is the place to ask for help and advice and share pictures it’s why it was created. If you don’t want to help fine then you shouldn’t reply to posts or be here in general if all your going to do is tell people to go buy a book or what not. Saying you don’t have "time or patience " makes no sense why are you here then. I know this place isn’t what it used to be back when I was more active in 2012 through 2013 it was hopping some what but anyways please stop posting things like that if you don’t want to help cool but you don’t need to say what you’re saying.

11/02/16  01:17pm

ARENEPEZ
View Profile

Message To: Herper01   In reference to Message Id: 2318850

Herper01 this is the second post I’ve come across of yours where you are very rude to people asking for help and such. This is a forum and chat area. This is the place to ask for help and advice and share pictures it’s why it was created. If you don’t want to help fine then you shouldn’t reply to posts or be here in general if all your going to do is tell people to go buy a book or what not. Saying you don’t have "time or patience " makes no sense why are you here then. I know this place isn’t what it used to be back when I was more active in 2012 through 2013 it was hopping some what but anyways please stop posting things like that if you don’t want to help cool but you don’t need to say what you’re saying.

11/02/16  01:18pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area