Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Milk Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MandaMarie   Takahiro111   MandaMarie   Takahiro111   MandaMarie   MandaMarie   Snakebuz   Takahiro111   JPCAR7  

Member  Message

MandaMarie
View Profile

Help!!!

My boyfriend and I bought I Honduran Milk Snake on October 4, 2014. We got him from a chain pet store. We went through the store with the reptile salesman who helped us pick out everything we needed. He was believed to be just a few months old.

When we brought him home we wanted him to get used of his new home so we didn’t handle him. Although, we bought him on a Saturday and Sunday was his feeding day. On Sunday he ate a pinky (in a different reptile, small like transport case).

Since the day we got him he had something wrong with his eye. It looked like it was bigger then his other eye and like it was indented (we kept an eye on it and were concerned). We live 3 hrs away from a reptile vet so we weren’t able to take him in. He was also not very mobile. He would move around his terrarium but would often stay in one spot for hours.

When the guy sold us "everything that was needed for him" he sold us a 15w light bulb and jungle earth (bark) bedding. When we put everything together the terrariums temperature stayed at 70 with the 15w light bulb. When reading online on numerous snake websites they suggested to use an under the tank heater. We went out and bought a under the tank heater and the pet store only had 50 w light bulb. That got the terrariums temperature to mid 80s but we noticed that the snake was on the cold side the majority of the time so we bought a lamp dimmer so we could adjust the heat. At this point he was still slow moving and we were still concerned about his eye and how slow and not mobile he was.

On October 12th, 2014 we were going to clean his terrarium ( use aspen instead) and feed him. When we went to take him out he was dead. Limp, no life, his head was downward kind of in the bark. We took him out to see if there was any life, but there wasn’t and his tongue was sticking out.

What happened?? What did we do wrong?? Is it possible he was sick went we got him?

10/13/14  01:29pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: MandaMarie   In reference to Message Id: 2310313

Help!!!

He must have been sick and the eye problem was a serious sign of something was going on. It wasn’t you guys fault you just wanted a pet snake but this is what reptile salesmen/stores do they sale us reptile lovers sick animals but next time look for a good reptile breeder whether it be a snake or lizard.

10/13/14  03:44pm

MandaMarie
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310317

Help!!!

Definitly learnt my lesson :(

10/13/14  03:57pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: MandaMarie   In reference to Message Id: 2310318

Help!!!

Yea petstores are a no no I only buy from them when I want to save the poor things but buy from a breeder and a good one...when I got my hatching water monitor the petstore had it in a container by the animal section saying caution on it..I took the little guy out and it bit my wrist (drew quite some blood since my veins were there) and the employee runs to me saying its dangerous I asked him what price they said $200 and he went home with me and now he’s a happy 7’ lizard when he wana be...so from this short story never listen to a petstore owner or buy their sick pets unless your gonna take them to the vet.

10/13/14  05:58pm

MandaMarie
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310320

Help!!!

Yes thank you! So sad for those little babies :(

10/13/14  06:27pm

MandaMarie
View Profile

Help!!!

Yes thank you! So sad for those little babies :(

10/13/14  07:50pm

Snakebuz
View Profile

Help!!!

Quote:

Yea petstores are a no no I only buy from them when I want to save the poor things

This is one thing that you should never do... The original poster said that there was something wrong with one eye when they bought it.... do not buy a obviously flawed/damaged animal or you will have problems.
SSSSSSssssnakebuz
I know how you feel though, it’s hard looking at animals in a pet store that are obviously stressed and you know without intervention they are doomed.

01/07/15  08:13am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Snakebuz   In reference to Message Id: 2311695

Help!!!

I wasn’t telling her to buy a sick animal lol but your absolutely right...I just feel bad for them.

01/07/15  12:43pm

JPCAR7
View Profile

Message To: MandaMarie   In reference to Message Id: 2310313

Help!!!

Im not sure exactly what bark you used for the tank but if it’s scented bark it can kill your snake in one day easily. It sounds like it was a problem the snake already had but I figured I would mention this anyway just in case you did use scented bark or if you didn’t know n decided to use it in the future. I learned that the hard way when I was younger. I lost 4 snakes in one day. Changed a bunch of tanks one day n put in fresh bark (wood chips). Didn’t realize they were scented n the next morning 4 snakes were dead. Good luck

09/30/15  07:16pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area