Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Milk Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SynthSnake   The Lone Glider   SynthSnake   SynthSnake   The Lone Glider   SynthSnake   SynthSnake   The Lone Glider   SynthSnake   The Lone Glider   SynthSnake   The Lone Glider   SynthSnake   The Lone Glider   SynthSnake   The Lone Glider   SynthSnake   The Lone Glider  

Member  Message

SynthSnake
View Profile

New milk snake in a new environment!

Hi, im the proud owner of a young milk snake which i bought from a friend of a friend who didn’t seem that clued up on the snake and kept him in a tub. This is why i bought him as im a working class person who will provide the attention, care and environment that this snake will need.

I understand how to feed the snake, hold the snake and approach the snake and im also educated on how often they should be cleaned and handled etc.

To kick things off with RepticZone being a new member, my first post is - I recently switched my snake from the tub into a proper snake tank which is appropriate for the size of him. i’ve included a 7 watt heat mat, 2 hides - one on the warm side one on the cool side and a water bowl with some apple wood and hemp bedding. I introduced my snake to the new tank about 5 days ago and he seems to be staying in the warm hide quite a lot moving the bedding around inside so he is literally touching the glass base of the tank (don’t worry the base is double glazed so he is not in direct contact with the heat)

i handle him at least once every other day so he can get used to my scent and used to being handled in general he seems to be getting more calm each time. however sometimes it takes 2 tries to get him comfortable on my hands. In his old tub he used to roam around the tub like he is the happiest snake in the world however now he has the best of the best he is staying put can anyone give me some advice any advice at all would be apreciated even if its contructive critisism im open minded and humble cheers SAM (owner of a milk snake)

03/15/13  06:23pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2293821

Lol. No criticism. Sounds like an awesome setup. Give him a week or so to warm up to you, Reptiles won’t settle in right away like mammals seem too, It generally takes a week or more. So don’t give up, just be patient. He will come around and be a wonderful snake.:) he only thing i think you should do would be to put a a temp gauge in so you know what temps are. Good luck with the new snake! and pictures are always nice!!!:)*hint*:)

03/15/13  10:14pm

SynthSnake
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293830

thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated. I do have an Exo terra thermometer in there about mid way accross the tank which read about 21 degrees always but it is on the side wooden pannel near the top of the tank so i might move it closer to the base of the tank and then i have a wooden thermometer on the hot side of the substrate base which always reads from 25 - 28 degrees, therefore im sure the snake is getting the heat that he needs and ate his first pinky under my supervision with no problems at all. He did poop all over me the other night when i handled him and it was little round liquid patches with white gritty like substances over my trousers. This was about 3 days after he ate!

One other quick question is - its been 6 days since he has been in his new tank and im struggling to find any other poop or anything around the tank. Do you think this is because he unloaded all over my trousers?

im also going to upgrade to a 12 watt heat mat with a bit of a thicker substrate base (about an inch) and also try to get a thermostat installed ASAP! other than he has clean hemp clean bottled water daily and seems fine in terms of responding but just a little shy! will upload pictures soon thanks for replying keep it coming SAM

03/16/13  11:21am

SynthSnake
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2293858

THIS IS MY SET-UP FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND VOICE ANY ADVICE TO ME AS YOU WISH! SAM

03/16/13  11:54am

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2293861

Are you talking about Celsius or Fahrenheit? and I think instead of the mats you should do a heat lamp.. it gives more light if you have them in a fairly dark place. and they will need that basking spot to digest their food. Snakes bask to get their body heat up for digestion that all reptiles and they also will be more active when it is. The cage itself looks nice. and what happened to you is called "Musking" Corn snakes are a clubred, like kings, rat snakes, milks.. When they get afraid that is what they do. Lol. So that is normal. try not to scare him and it won’t happen.

03/16/13  02:20pm

SynthSnake
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293866

Yeah i’m already aware of everything you just said :)

03/16/13  09:02pm

SynthSnake
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2293875

celcius or the snake would probably be dead!!.. since i have had him for a few weeks.

03/16/13  10:23pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2293885

Just wanting to make sure. Lol. Other then what I’ve said im not really sure what to tell you unless you have any more questions?

03/17/13  02:21am

SynthSnake
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293890

hmm preety much covered a lot of it.. so in a previous comment of yours you said the snake will mature as the cage itself looks tidier are you suggesting that my taknk is ’’messy’’ because its all disinfected and brand new stuff? im waiting on a new hide hence why he has a Cracker box as a hide! i call it the crack house! ;)

03/17/13  09:41am

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2293895

Did i say that? It looks fine to me...

03/17/13  05:15pm

SynthSnake
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293911

my bad miss read the ’’it is.’’ haha yeah hes fine just fed him his 2nd pinky no problem. Another question is i feed him seperate to his tank so when he has eaten i leave him for 5 - 10 mins and then transfer him back to his home very quickly and smoothly is that ok?

03/17/13  08:14pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2293918

Just feed in him in cage. Otherwise you will have to pick him up and worry about regurgitating... and that is not fun.. Lol.

03/18/13  11:49am

SynthSnake
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293935

yes i have thought about it but then what if he ingests his own feces isn’t that quite bad as well? il just have to make sure that i hold the pinky in the air until he strikes for it or better still i could even lay some tissue down in the cage just for the feeding process then remove it after thanks lone glider not only are you the only one to show an interest on my post but you’ve also gave me many ideas. cheers sam

03/18/13  03:40pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2293947

He wont. I have never had a snake that has done that. and if you are worried about it still, just make sure to clean it up when you see it. :) and you are welcome. I wish you the best of luck with your new pet.:)

03/18/13  05:00pm

SynthSnake
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293953

so the first time i feed my snake in his tank he eats a hemp chip along with the pinky

THANKS A BUNCH!

03/24/13  02:28pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2294236

I have been taking care of snakes for 20 somthing years and it have never happened/affected my snakes. I have had/have over 200 snakes and they all are super healthy and active. What do you think would happen when they eat a mouse in the wild? with the the leafs,grass,dirt, twigs... Its not gonna hurt him. i know what I’m talking about.

03/24/13  07:17pm

SynthSnake
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294249

ok ok.. just had a bad feeeling at first.. sorry just worried thats all just shopping about for a desert royal python now.. :D expensive but boy oh boy the patterns!

03/26/13  08:46pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SynthSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2294431

Be careful not to get to much.. Those aren’t like corns... Make sure to do a lot of reading before you get that kind of snake..

03/27/13  08:48am

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area