Milk Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sandboaking   Peter54   Sandboaking  

Member  Message

Sandboaking
View Profile

Baby pueblan giving me stress

So, I bought a pair of baby albino pueblans two weeks ago at the cleveland expo, and the male won’t eat. The female’s doing fine, but the male isn’t showing any interest. He’s not just a tiny hatchling, so I think he ate before, but I’m not sure. He shed a few days after I got him, so I figured that was the problem, but still nothing. And, I feed live, so I don’t think that should be the problem, but I’ll try anything.

09/30/12  06:46pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2281749

Perhaps the snake is used to f/t pinkies? Why do you feed live? From my experience breeding kings and milks for almost 30 years, it’s not that unusual for hatchling snakes to be intimidated or even scared when they first come across a live pinkie mouse.

Last season, one of my hatchling sinaloans waited 18 weeks before it decided to eat.

10/08/12  02:15pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2282421

I tried f/t, brained f/t and scenting with tuna, and chicken broth and a friend who bought a pair from the same dealer had the same problem, so he rubbed a pinky on the snakes’ mouthes and they ate, but all that did was freak this guy out. The reasoning for me feeding live is I’ve been burned several times on frozen feedings. I had a snake die from feeding frozen adults, I think I left it thawing too long, and I have balls and sand boas that just completely refuse frozen. When the snakes get up to large hoppers (in most cases) I kill my own mice so they aren’t bitten in the process.

10/16/12  04:25pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area