Milk Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tepoen98   IguanaRama   Twilightrose   Peter54  

Member  Message

Tepoen98
View Profile

Is this normal for milksnakes?

I got my Anerythristic Honduran Milksnake about 3 months ago. When I first bought it I held it almost every day. It really did not want me to hold it. It would move around really fast so I couldnt get it and then it musked when I held it. After about 2 weeks it decided to bite and chew on my hand while I was holding it. I havent held it much since then. Is that normal behavior for them? Do I need to just hold it more to get it used to me? I dont know why but Im afraid to hold it now. It didnt hurt much but I dont like holding it for some reason now. Its a beautiful snake that I want to be able to hold without getting musked and bitten.

05/27/12  01:28am

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Tepoen98   In reference to Message Id: 2267822

It’s pretty normal for them to be like that I got mine about a month ago but she’s still young and she bites at me it doesn’t hurt but I know what you mean about not wanting to hold it, it’s not the being bit hurts thing it’s you’d rather not be bit in general as it is unpleasant she’s only musked me once but it’s not a very nice smell and they get it all over your hands which is also another reason I understand you not wanting to hold it but depending on what age it is they generally out grow the musking you just have to keep holding the snake even when they musk you because if you put the snake down after being musked then they think if they keep doing it then you’ll go away you just gotta brave it and eventually they calm down and become very nice snakes from what I’m told mine is still little so she chews on my boyfriend and musks while trying to get her out of the cage.. lots of patience.

05/31/12  04:22pm

Twilightrose
View Profile

Mine was already grown when I got her, her previous owner held her daily. I hold her 3-4 times a week usually for an hour or more at a time. She doesn’t bite or chew, she doesn’t musk. She can be a little skittish when I reach in to get her, but once I have her she’s fine. She’s only struck at me (didn’t make contact, just the gesture) when food was involved. She is head shy though, and will jerk back from movement near her face.

08/02/12  04:22pm

Peter54
View Profile

Hondurans usually act like that in their first year, but temper varies from one specimen to another. I used to have a female tangerine honduran, and she was very nervous until about 2 years of age. She never bit but she was very skiddish and musked every time I handled her.

She is now owned by a friens of mine and now, at age 3, she’s improved a lot. Less skiddish even if she doesn’t like being picked up and she never musks anymore.

I think that most people handle their snakes too much and this might result in the complete opposite to getting calmer. I don’t handle my snakes much, maybe once a month and I think that more than once a week is too much.

Usually it’s not about how often you handle, but HOW you handle. Also, always remember that bad tempered adult colubrids usually have good reasons for acting that way, either they are poorly fed, kept in conditions that doesn’t fit the species/subspecies, or being kept under stressful conditions. If none of the above apply, it’s just a bad tempered snake by nature.

I now keep a couple of 3 y o amelanistic hondurans and they are both pure pleasure to handle. I have owned them since they were hatchlings and they have been easy going from day one.

08/16/12  07:38am

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area