Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Milk Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Apalazzo   Knox   Apalazzo   Peter54   Apalazzo  

Member  Message

Apalazzo
View Profile

Any Advice On a Pueblan Apricot Milk Snake?

Hey everyone I added another snake to my collection a Pueblan Apricot Milks Snake. I’ve had my eye on him since Pet Smart got him back in December. I only passed on him do to his size and the fact most pinkies were to large for him. Know he’s alot bigger then he was then and is eating just fine according to them. He/she was a little under feed in my opinion. I pinky a week. They just had feed him today but with the stress of being handled after a feeding and moving into an new enclosure, I didn’t want to bother him/her any more then what I needed to. So My questions are, 1. everyones favorite is there an easy way to sex my baby pueblan apricot milk snake other then popping? I know with most snakes you can tell by their tail didn’t know if the same rule applied for milk snakes or if there was another way to tell. I asked the person at the pet store and she told me she had no idea they just come in from the breeder. Now I could have swore most breeders sex their baby snakes before selling them let alone to a pet store. Any ways next question will he/she always pee on me me every time I handle him/her? I read that they discharge when being handled and the fact it did pee or so to say on me at the pet store. But hey I’d rather have a snake pee on me over being bite any day lol. Also anyone have any greek mothalogy names that will fit my snake do to his/her apperance/ normal behavior for milk snakes? I have Athena my snow corn after the Goddess of Athens then I have Aeetes my Mexican Black King named after the King in Jason and the Argunots or however you spell it. SO if anyone has any suggestions any any of this I would appreciate your feed back. oh ya almost forgot here’s a pic of the new little guy.

My New Pueblan Apricot Milk Snake

05/10/12  04:09pm

Knox
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2265935

That looks more like a Nelson than a Pueblan. And yes, it should calm down the more you hold it, especially as it gets older.

If you aren’t going to breed, there really is no reason to have it sexed.

07/08/12  05:35pm

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Knox   In reference to Message Id: 2272553

Well lately it’s been turning black on me. Here’s a pic from a few weeks ago went to take some the other night but he’s in shed and looks like even more black is coming in.

As far as finding the sex it would be easier picking a name if I knew the sex. I like to name all my snakes and thinking of unisex names kinda sucks.

07/08/12  08:06pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2272579

It´s a pueblan for sure, absolutely not a Nelsons. I do believe that it is a mix between an apricot and an ordinary tricolor pueblan due to the pale orange coloring. I have got a 3 y o female just like yours. My male however, is a purebred apricot.

As for your questions - sexing small juveniles by popping them is the easiest way to do it and most breeders use that procedure. Your pueblan seems a bit too large to pop, it can be risky since you might need to apply too much force to get the hemipenises to pop.

There is a chance to decide sex by just looking at the shape of the tail, since males have their hemipenis pockets behind the anal on both sides, making the tail narrowing evenly, while the females tail narrows rather abruptly. This however, takes some experience and it’s good to have another proven male or female to compare with.

The black coming in is a harder nut to crack, some specimen just get darker very early in life, while others keep bright for a longer period of time, eventually they all darken. That is in my opinion, the real downside with all southern subspecies of milksnake.

Peeing as you put it (musking), is an act of self defense. The musk is produced from two anal glands. When your snake gets older it will probably quit doing that, most do, however some continue being nervous even as adults. My female apricot pueblan sometimes musk, but my male never do.

This is a pic of my apricot male taken last summer. He’s way bigger now and I hope to breed my couple in the spring 2013.

08/22/12  04:07pm

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2277558

Thanks for the input Peter. I knew my little guy had to be mixed with something since he/she doesn’t have much apricot coloring. He does pee and musk. That’s why I used peeing his musk is more an off white yellow color and pee well its pee lol. He’s starting to come around I am able to handle with out musking or peeing. But he’s in shed now seems like every time I make head way he goes into shed and once out all progress gets set back and have to start over. Hoping that don’t happen this time. Sorry for the late reply been busy with work and carring for all 15 snakes new MHL and hedgehogs one recovering from eye surgery so I’ve had a busy schedule as you can see. But thanks again for your input.

08/27/12  12:49am

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area