Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Maggie_Mae   S.   Xkabx   Maggie_Mae   Xkabx   Snakebuz   Maggie_Mae  

Member  Message

Maggie_Mae
View Profile

Attention breeders! Hybrids?

Hey there,
So in October I purchased a 4 year old 4 foot het albino cornson. He’s half snow corn and half albino nelson milk. His breeder reminded me that not many people agree with breeding hybrids, I never really took much instrest until I bought Isaac. He told me that since both his parents are albino, breeding him to an albino milk will triple the chances. What do you guys think? Is this for sure possible? If so, what kinda milk?

I’ve never bred before so keep this in mind, but I am experienced with snakes, I’m gonna be 21 soon, im very resposible with my reptiles and care about them deeply and I fully understand the responsibility. In April I’m attending the seattle metro reptile expo and if you milk breeders think this could be a good project, I’ll be buying a young female. That way i can wait a few years and not jump into anything over my head. Let me know :)
Here are some pictures -

02/03/12  03:05am

S.
View Profile

Message To: Maggie_Mae   In reference to Message Id: 2253794

It just depends. If you are fine with the idea of hybrids do it, but be clear when you sell/ re-home that you tell people its full history. To many people don’t agree and if they breed babies from yours and don’t realize then it mutes pure lines.

I think if you look Lance Portal’s table at the Seattle show he may have some albinos. I’m going to be vending at that show, but I wont have any snakes hatching that early (besides I only do hondo milks). Should have some hondo’s at the Aug show in Portland though. :) Come by and say hi. My tables name is Lunar Gecko.

02/07/12  08:20pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: S.   In reference to Message Id: 2254452

its a decision you have to make and you will have to deal with whatever happens. i personally wouldnt but its because i have a hog island boa and know what happened to them, you cant be sure you are getting a pure hog unless you can trace its lineage back to parents from that island, but all the time i see adds for hogs and they are obviously crossed with something else, the seller is either oblivious or is lying and trying to pass off their mutt as a pure hog. if you do make the decision to proceed with your experiment anyone who purchases the offspring should know what it is before they take it, im not saying dont do it but be prepared to keep all the offspring if they come out odd and no one wants them.

02/21/12  02:44am

Maggie_Mae
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2256265

Thanks, after talking with his breeder (lance portal reptiles) he said he’d give me a great deal on a little albino female. I’m still on the fence but I’m still doing lots of research. If I end up breeding I am going to be 100% honest about the genetics, they’d at least be pets if no breeders want them. Plus by the time I breed I’ll be fully prepared for all the responsibilities of the unsold offspring.

02/21/12  05:49am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Maggie_Mae   In reference to Message Id: 2256266

this is my first breeding season and let me tell you its pretty sweet. ive learned so much about my animals in this last couple months its been very rewarding and i dont even have any eggs yet. im sure whatever you breed you will be able to sell but i just wanted to put it in your head that there is a possibility you might not be able to and youd have to keep them all. if you do go ahead with breeding my advice is always be a step ahead, what i mean is get your incubator ready before or while she is gravid once thats set ( can take a while to get perfect) then set up your baby tubs and get them perfect.
ive been pairing this girl since late november and finally two days ago she ovulated that means im still 42-43 days away from eggs, once i got eggs im still 55-60 days away from babies then i still gotta wait a week before i get to play with them. its not a fast process, be patient. good luck

02/21/12  11:50am

Snakebuz
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2256289

If your intention is to try breeding and have the most varied looking babies, I would go with a female cornson with the same genetics as your male to get the most out of your genetics. Or if you could come up with a female corn with the same genetics as your male, you could get "normals" aneryth’s, amel’s and a snow to boot. If you go with a albino or het albino nelson female , you will only have "normals" and albino babies, although the reds would stay stronger with the nelsons. Again, full disclosure on the genotype should be provided to each potential recipient of the offspring.
That is a goodlooking snake you have, I’m sure it is a priceless pet regardless of it’s lineage, although some "purists" regard hybrids as monstrosities to be avoided. I personally don’t plan on mixing the bloodlines up, but some "designer" snakes sure look pretty good as pets. Kinda’ makes you wonder what a Burmese /milk would look like at 20 ft of red white and black. hhhhmmm

03/08/12  08:41am

Maggie_Mae
View Profile

Message To: Snakebuz   In reference to Message Id: 2258062

I got a hold of his breeder, He said he’d give me a good deal on a female albino milk. He thinks that would be best and said my male also would give the anery gene.

03/08/12  02:54pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area