Milk Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

HanDansMom   Guppyfry   HanDansMom   Xkabx  

Member  Message

HanDansMom
View Profile

Help! What to do about musking?

Hi Everyone! I’m a new snake owner and still learning, so I hope this question doesn’t sound too stupid to you. My husband and kids bought a young Albino Nelson’s Milk Snake for my birthday in November. I handled "her" from the start, and while she was speedy when I’d first take her out of her tank, she’d soon settle down and didn’t seem to mind being held during that first month or so. But for the last two weeks, every time I pick her up she musks and squirms like she’s terrified. I haven’t done anything differently with how I handle her--no changes to her feeding routine (she has a separate feeding tank), no changes to her home, etc. It’s just as if she’s suddenly terrified of interaction. What can I do to change this? I love watching her and holding her...she’s gorgeous! But I’m not loving the stinky ick! Help?!?

12/31/11  02:41am

Guppyfry
View Profile

Message To: HanDansMom   In reference to Message Id: 2249055

I do believe you’ll just have to give it time to settle in and get used to you. Your snake might be going into a shed, at which time they can be more jumpy and stressed, or something else in the environment is stressing your snake out.

I would just continue handling her. My King musked every time I handled him the first year I got him, but very rarely does now. Interestingly, he seems to know if someone other than I is handling him, and musk (despite my reassurance that he is safe to handle).

One thing I used to do with my king is handle him with a clean towel or soft clean rag at first to catch the musk. Much better than getting it on your hands or clothes, LOL!

12/31/11  08:10am

HanDansMom
View Profile

Message To: Guppyfry   In reference to Message Id: 2249071

Thanks, Guppy! I was just getting worried since she hadn’t been doing it (I call her she, but I don’t know her sex yet) and then started suddenly. I wonder if part of it could be that I held her every day when I first got her and now I’ve dropped down to every few days? Hopefully she’ll get comfortable with me as she grows older and quit doing this. Thanks for the towel idea!!

12/31/11  12:50pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: HanDansMom   In reference to Message Id: 2249098

just wanted to add that when it does musk you do not put it down, it may be doing it as a defence and if you put it down after it musks it believes that musking you worked and will do it again and again. if you dont freak out and put it away right after it musks you, it may figure out that musking will not work so why bother.
just a thought. good luck.

03/04/12  04:29pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area