Milk Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Schnipke   Schnipke   Getscared   Schnipke   Schnipke   Schnipke   X AliEN 8  

Member  Message

Schnipke
View Profile

New to milksnakes. (:

Hi all, I’ve just joined the site and the milk snake community.

Two nights ago, I acquired my first milk snake from an acquaintance. They told me it’s a Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake. And I’m not really sure if that’s what it is, they didn’t seem to educated.

I’ve done my research before making the mostly impulsive decision to adopt a new family member, but I just wanted to see if there is any tips any of you want to give that are specific to the species. I look forward to getting to watch my new baby grow up.

-Jes

12/10/11  02:50pm

Schnipke
View Profile

Message To: Schnipke   In reference to Message Id: 2246704

New to milksnakes. (:

So, just testing to see if this works... but this is a photo that the previous owner sent me. I will certainly take higher quality pictures to show how beautiful this snake is. C:

So what do you all think? Was I told correctly? Does it look like a Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake?
I’m thinking about doing a totally new set-up for the cage, but definitely don’t want to stress him out too much., so maybe just a few things at a time.

12/11/11  04:31am

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Schnipke   In reference to Message Id: 2246775

New to milksnakes. (:

Once he is settled in to his new life. In a week or so. It will be perfectly fine to change his setup around. Just put him in a separate container and do it all at once. My snakes actually seem to like exploring their setup when I change them. I think it’s good for them. as long as it’s just as good or better than what he is in.

If you are wanting help on how to care for him it usually helps if you let us know exactly what you’re doing so the more experienced people here can add to or correct your methods :) but as long as you follow the varesheets I’m sure you’ll be fine.

12/11/11  08:15am

Schnipke
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2246779

New to milksnakes. (:

I figured I’d give him about a week or so. The first few days, I covered a part of his cage with a blanket to reduce stress, and now everything’s open so he can get used to the traffic in my room. I also have two ball pythons, and I have 9 years of experience with them; But this is my first time with a milk snake.

I’ve checked out the care sheets on here and I’ve got a new hide log for him and a couple pieces of driftwood that I’ve baked to deck out the new setup, once he is done with quarantine. I think I’ve got the basic care down for sure though. My humidity is about 60 though, is that fine? I usually mist the cage once a day or every two days, depending on the levels c:

Maybe the only help I would need with socializing. He wasn’t held very often in his previous homes (he’s had two) and he seems really jumpy. I know that I can’t possibly know his temperament until he’s completely settled and used to being in his new home. But is there any advice you can offer for socializing? I’m not sure if I should approach him differently than I would a ball python.

12/12/11  12:50pm

Schnipke
View Profile

Message To: Schnipke   In reference to Message Id: 2246961

New to milksnakes. (:

here are two more pictures.
There is no substrate because this is his feeding cage. He’s been fed in the cage, but I’m going to switch over to a cardboard box. I’ve tried handling him but I just can’t get him to trust me, maybe he needs to have a few feeds in order to settle in? He is eating mouse pinkies, and DAMN he was hungry. I usually wait at least a week before feeding for the first time to make sure they’re hungry.

We’ve named him/her Bishop Kennedy-Clementine, but everyone calls him/her Cheese.

Do you all think that he’s a tangerine?

12/17/11  01:32pm

Schnipke
View Profile

Message To: Schnipke   In reference to Message Id: 2246961

New to milksnakes. (:

here are two more pictures.
There is no substrate because this is his feeding cage. He’s been fed in the cage, but I’m going to switch over to a cardboard box. I’ve tried handling him but I just can’t get him to trust me, maybe he needs to have a few feeds in order to settle in? He is eating mouse pinkies, and DAMN he was hungry. I usually wait at least a week before feeding for the first time to make sure they’re hungry.

We’ve named him/her Bishop Kennedy-Clementine, but everyone calls him/her Cheese.

Do you all think that he’s a tangerine?

12/17/11  01:37pm

X AliEN 8
View Profile

Message To: Schnipke   In reference to Message Id: 2247499

New to milksnakes. (:

Yep it’s definately a Tangerine Hondo

01/30/12  09:07pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area