Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Milk Snakes Forum

Vrhafner   Pe   Vrhafner   Lovin2act  
 Member  Message

Vrhafner
View Profile

Wild caught baby red milk snake wont eat

I caught a baby (3 pointer finger length) red milk snake and have had it for a month now. He wont eat the live or thawed pinkies Ive been trying to feed him (this past week). I even put a dark towel over the enclosure while pinkie was in the cage I have for him to see if he’d eat but still wont. I’ve had to throw away both pinkies. I even tried crickets the 2nd week of having him but as far as I know he didn’t eat them.

I have situated the cage to proper milk snake specs (heating, water, hiding place on hot and cold side of cage, correct type of substrate, and heating pad). I would think he would be more calm now that hes been in there and not handled for that long.....I’m worried he may die of starvation before too long (how long do they go before dying of starvation?). How do i get him to eat? What should I try feeding him? very concerned...

10/21/11  11:00am

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Vrhafner   In reference to Message Id: 2241397

Hello,

I think if your snake is not adapting you may want to consider letting it go back into it’s natural habitat. I would recommend finding a breeder and get a captive bred milk snake. I live in Florida and I see snakes, turtles, iguanas, frogs, etc all the time. Sure I would like to bring them home, but sometimes we are just better off letting them stay in nature. There is always a risk of reptiles not acclimating to being captive.

That’s my suggestion. Good Luck with whatever decision you make. Do you have any pics of it?

PE

10/21/11  12:33pm

Vrhafner
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 2241408

I uploaded a picture of it today, should be on my profile....it’s so pretty, I’m going to hope for the best and maybe eventually he will eat. A pet store owner was telling me even captive from birth snakes will not feed for a couple of months.

10/24/11  04:45pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Vrhafner   In reference to Message Id: 2241797

Please let it go. Your selfish attitude to force your will on it is really sad. Go pony up the cash for an established captive bred pet snake that will give you the same joy and not have it’s well being at risk.

Again, please let it go free back to the wild where you took it from.

10/24/11  05:55pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area