Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Milk Snakes Forum

Getscared   Xkabx   Getscared   Xkabx   Getscared   Xkabx   Getscared   Xkabx   Xkabx  
 Member  Message

Getscared
View Profile

What to get?

I have a bp and a rtb, I want to get away from the big boys and get myself a milksnake!

I think I want a black milk snake but I was wondering if you guys had any cool suggestions? I dont know much about my options with milks
(also open to kings and rats but ive never been interested in corns)

08/04/11  10:28pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2231802

What to get?

i cant explain it but i dont really like corns either and i too have a bp, i got 2 actually and they are boring and both are big chickens. if you have an opportunity to get a black milk i say go for it, they are way cool. first they dont need heat they like it about cool, mine is in my living room so it gets the ac. compared to a bp this little girl is super curious, never skiddish, eats everything everytime and the bonus is you get to watch the color change. another cool tidbit is the black milk is the largest of the milks, so they arent tiny but def not huge like your rtb.

i quickly tired of my bp and wanted snakes that not everyone has or has even seen the blackmilk is very cool, i 100% endorse them. now if you want a rat snake, i got a rat snake for you as well. the everglades rat snake, largest of the rat snakes, it is awesome, when compared to a bp there is no comparison, these guys have an attitude so not for just anyone, they do mellow out with regular handling but the way they buttmunch back like a cobra and rattle their tail like a rattler makes for a cool snake. they also go through a color change so every shed you have a different looking snake and they too are eating machines. theres a guy on here with an adult that eats 6 rats at a time! mines still small only 8 months old still super aggressive but his bites dont draw blood unless he gets you good. also a rarer snake as they are almost extinct in the wild, sad really, but if you can find one, get it!! you wont be dissapointed!

hard to choose a favorite but of my collection those 2 are definatley right up there, if you can find either and its healthy and you can afford to care for them properly i totally stand behind them as cool pets. whatever you do get just make sure to read tons and have its tank setup and perfect before you get it home and remember theres always knowledgable people around here if you ever need help.

08/05/11  01:23pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2231860

What to get?

Im liking both of those suggestions very much!
I certainly would not mind having a snake with an attitude as long as its not 10+feet long and able to kill me lol
There are SO many snakes i would love to have, so I think Im just going to keep a spare tank around and just buy whatever I find to my liking at the rep shows. I know the basics of nearly all species ( i read a lot lol) So i wouldnt end up getting myself into something I cant handle.
(There is a woman on CL here that is looking to sell a venomite rattler, I got grabby fingers but i know better xD not to mention i know she wouldnt sell it to me haha)

08/05/11  03:27pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2231875

What to get?

i will never own a "hot" snake(venomous), i get bit, i figure if you own a snake you are going to get bit so just man up. this theory doesnt work with hot snakes and will get you killed. other than hot snakes no need to worry about death, just blood. i may be incorrect cause its been a while since i needed to research psycho (everglades rat snake) but i believe they can get up to 8 ft. theres great pics of an adult on a thread on this site under rat snakes, title is second opinion please, read that thread, its long but theres lots of pics of his and mine. its a good idea having a spare tank in case you see something cool. i dont know if you got kijiji but thats where i find all my stuff. good luck hunting

08/05/11  04:53pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2231887

What to get?

Oh I will never get one either but that doesnt mean they dont sound very enticing! Totally not worth the risk though. Ive been bitten by my ball python twice, both feeding errors on my part (well the second time i KNEW I was going to get bit, My baby boa struck his prey and tangled himself around my tongs so I had no choice but to feed my ball a PINKY with my FINGERS. (had extra pinkies and ran out of rats)) No surprise when he bit down on my thumb, terrible aim he has lol.

Ive seen some big rat snakes so I would believe they get that big for sure!

kijiji- I had to google that i had no idea what it was! helpful though! thanks :)
((oh dear should not have introduced me to that.. the temptations!!))

08/05/11  11:24pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2231920

What to get?

first off sorry i know first hand kijiji additiction, though ive recently slowed down, ive found so much cool stuff there,all of my snakes but one, including a free female ball python, and my hog island boa she was free but i had to pay shipping.getting bit is part of the job with the everglades, he tags me 1/5 times i handle him or everytime he is pissed, but barley gets blood. my bps have never moved at me so im surprised you got tagged by one, but as i said its inevitable when you own snakes thats why i dont see me owning hot snakes, but id love to see a rattler live i bet that sound they make is intimidating in person. good luck with your new kijiji additiction, hope you find some cool stuff.
my latest kijiji pickup a female adult hog island boa (she was free just paid 120 to ship)

08/06/11  12:16am

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2231924

What to get?

haha yeah, I was looking for a dumerils boa about a year ago and couldnt find one in my area, First thing i see on kijiji is a dumerils. i was like -.-
I cant buy another boa right now bc im about to move. Well if she is there after the move >.>

My ball has an incredible feeding response, thats why he bit me. He feeds like a burm lol. he switches from f/t to prekilled, rats to mice to gerbils makes no difference. He even tried to eat a waterball thing bc it was warm. He hunts his heat lamp in the hopes it will turn into a rat (struck at it once and realized that was not going to happen)
I love my ball bc he has personality that many balls lack.

Thats a cool deal, I saw he on the other forum. Pretty girl! Hows that nose doin??

(oh and I want to thank you- I have been looking for a standard poodle for a LONG time and almost gave up, i MAY have found one on kijiji, unless its another scam... hopefully kjiji has less scammers and trash, ive been a craigslister for a long time.. Anyway if this turns out to be legit and i get my dog I will be forever in your debt for sending me to him!)

08/06/11  12:28pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2231960

What to get?

for me it was a toss up between a hog and a dumerils they are so nice. sadly the hogs nose will remain witht that big bump the rest of her life, it doesnt affect her at all though and its kind of grown on me gives her character, i mean if you put her in a room with 100 other hogs i could spot her no problem. my female ball has a bit of an attitude i guess for a ball. when you go to pick her up she puffs up she pretty much hates people but has never bit anyone, she has a crazy feeding response as well, one time she caught a bounce pass with a rat it was cool. good luck with the move i know how stressfull they can be i just moved 1 year ago and now with all my herps i dont even want to think about moving for a long time. i hope you do get your dog but no debt to me, if you want to think of it that way then to repay the debt just take the best care of the dog you can. good luck.

08/06/11  12:38pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2231961

What to get?

heres a new shot of psycho #2, psycho #1 died 36 hours into me owning him still bums me out but it wasnt my fault but that doesnt matter. anyways this is psycho #2 today he feels like a shed is coming last shed made him look like he got a sunburn, i cant wait to see what comes next

dam my arm looks hairy!

08/06/11  12:44pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area