Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Milk Snakes Forum

Xkabx   Lovin2act   Xkabx   Lovin2act   Xkabx   Lovin2act   Xkabx   Lovin2act   Tupi1   Lovin2act   Xkabx   Lovin2act   Xkabx   Lovin2act   Xkabx   Lovin2act   Tupi1   Xkabx   Lovin2act   Xkabx  
 Member  Message

Xkabx
View Profile

Got a black milksnake

i was told they like it dry but then i was told 50%humidity. can anyone clear this up for me [Link]http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/keithbeaton/black%20milksnake/

04/09/11  10:42pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2213710

Got a black milksnake

Kept all of mine at fairly low humidity and they did fine. My cages are just in a bedroom here. It’s good to give them moist moss hides when they go blue to aid with shedding so it comes off all in one piece. Otherwise they will still shed but in many pieces which is kind of a pain to clean up after. No real harm in that either though so long as they get everything off, especially from their head and eyes. They are pretty undemanding just keep the temps down in the low 70’s and they will love you.

04/20/11  05:38pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2215266

Got a black milksnake

i still cant get over the humidity these guys like, compared to my other species. she got through her first shed for me not one piece but only a couple. i have 2 moist moss hides actually but i always find her buried in her substrate, she loves it dry. my camera doesnt do her justice she is soo beautiful. you say youve kept them before, im really curious, how does this color change happen? do those little black dots get bigger, or do the black rings get bigger? cant wait to watch.

04/21/11  07:40pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2215455

Got a black milksnake

Yeah mine (I had 5) never liked humid spots too much either and burrowed in their aspen all the time. As far as the color change, it’s hard to describe...I guess you could say they do both there...black tips increase and just sorta take over making it look like the black rings are getting bigger as well. It is gradual yet kinda comes outta no where pretty fast too. Kinda like trying to watch a plant grow I guess haha!

04/22/11  05:46pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2215551

Got a black milksnake

i have another color changing snake, an everglades rat they go from gray to orange and red. its really amazing to see. i gotta get a better camera, then ima start taking pics more regularly and one day watch a slideshow really fast. another question i had for you is how did you provide moisture? just in the hides or did you mist their tanks as well? i have 2 glass containers with moist moss and i have aspen substrate as well, and wondered if i should even mist the aspen or just keep the moist hides moist?

04/22/11  07:05pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2215554

Got a black milksnake

I just had a decent sized water dish in with mine. Not big enough to soak in for the adults but almost. Come shed time when they went blue I would do the moist hide but it rarely was used by them. They mostly burrowed in the aspen and stayed put until they shed. I never misted them. But if it’s something you want to do go for it! Don’t think they have a big preference either way. Each animal is different though and yours may love it!

04/25/11  04:58pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2215924

Got a black milksnake

no she doesnt seem to care for moisture at all i got the moist hides for her, but shes either cruising around or buried. i saw on youtube a photo by photo progression and wow they go from beautiful to ugly as sin back to a beautiful black, very cool. i picked up a new camera the other day heres some pics of her

and her home

i love her shes so awesome

04/25/11  06:54pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2215942

Got a black milksnake

Yeah she looks like she is all set there :) Happy milkin to you and enjoy!!

04/27/11  03:05pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2216194

Got a black milksnake

both those pics are super nice..I have one that is about a year and half old.He is almost but not quite black.But I will say he uses his humid hide every time he goes into shed.I keep a small bin every cage with spaghum moss and all my snakes use them at one time or another.Well except for the hognose.
I like not having to worry about humidity that way and gives them the option if they need it.Mine stays around 78-80, only because thats the room temps.

Do you use a basking spot at all for digestion? Ive always used a very small piece of flexwatt in one corner and bump it up after eating to 88 for a day or so.

04/27/11  03:31pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2216199

Got a black milksnake

Yeah there are many reports of these critters that definitely use the moss hides so giving them the option is always a plus!

Are your constant ambient temps in his cage 78-80? You may be fine and good to go as every individual animal is different, but you also may have issues arise as it is well documented to keep them in the low to mid-low 70’s at max as a general rule for these guys. They do not tolerate high temps well at all being that they come from a cool weather terrain and live in mountainous areas in Costa Rica. If all is well and he is thriving from what you can see, then right on that is great and I definitely hope it continues! But there were times that mine got to those temps (high 70’s low 80’s) during the hot summers where I live, and they started shedding almost every 2 weeks and were pacing all over their cages and in and out of their water bowls trying to cool off. I moved recently, so now I have a/c :)

As far as a basking spot/UTH, no I never did and they all (3 adults, and 1 yearling) passed their meals within 3 days in general. I could have fed them again on that 3rd day and they would have gobbled it right down! They are great feeders! But giving them a warm spot as you do after a meal is great too, just so long as they have a choice of using it or not of course :) They are almost indestructible snakes and very forgiving with husbandry by far!!

04/27/11  04:13pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2216211

Got a black milksnake

i bought a moon light thinking itd work for a tarantula but it didnt and had it sitting around, so i pointed it at the back corner of the shelf she is on but it does very little and she is never over there for to long, digesting or not. i myself have 4 snakes 3 different species and have found that they all enjoy a moist moss hide so i just made them for her and shes in there once and awhile.
how is that big guy to handle? ever bite?

04/27/11  06:40pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2216237

Got a black milksnake

Nope, never bitten or tried to :) Very easy handling and feels awesome

04/28/11  04:18pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2216386

Got a black milksnake

cool, i was just curious because she did strike at my bro already but i heard they are pretty mellow. how and what do you feed yours, i mean live f/t fresh killed? i breed asfs and have got her on those and actually yesterday i got her to eat a f/t for me, so i was wondering if i should keep going f/t?

04/28/11  05:18pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2216399

Got a black milksnake

Hmmm, well she is quite young and probably got startled then I would think. When mine were young there was pretty much nothing I could do to get them to strike at me. But I am sure if I tried I could get them to if I startled them good enough. I have yet to hear of anyone who had a mean black milk, ever. I fed mine once a week on f/t mice and rats. I would do whatever it takes to get yours on f/t here on out. Should not be any issue for you at all as they are eating machines! Fresh killed is totally cool too if that’s what you have been doing, just stay away from live feedings is all. Sure they can handle it, but why even risk it! And they will pound pre-killed food with lots of vigor! These guys are not known to be finicky one little bit!

PS. You probably notice I say things about mine in a past tense, that is because I sold them all very recently and purchased an Eastern Indigo due to an amazing opportunity that arose to get one. I miss my black milks though, and one day I will be getting more when I have space for more animals than I do now :)

04/28/11  06:06pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2216404

Got a black milksnake

i was curious why u always spoke in past tense, didnt wanna ask in case something bad happened. im pretty sure that she tried striking my bro cause he snuck up on her or startled her.
i have a ball that only eats live and yeah i sometimes get nervous, so as long as she will take it she is gonna get f/t. post a pic of your indigo when you got time ive never even heard of one, and id love to see it.

04/29/11  06:58pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2216572

Got a black milksnake

Ha yeah now you know :) Nope nothing bad at all! Loved those guys every single one!! They are in great homes now and I got my dream snake due to them!

Yeah sneaking up will get you a startled tag lol! Even then I am almost surprised it even struck even when scared. It is very rare for them.

Yeah good call staying with f/t, you wont regret that ever. With live there is always a risk, but yes of course better an animal eats than starves if it wont switch like your Ball there.

Never heard of an Indigo? Wow! Well now you have then :) They are awesome and AMAZING snakes but very expensive to purchase. Here is a pic of mine and the 2nd pic after is of an adult and what mine will look like a a couple years :)

05/02/11  04:07pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2216980

Got a black milksnake

Mine hasnt been overly active.Those temps are average in the middle of the room.Ive not had any extreme shedding and ive never seen him in the water bowl, but the moss hide may be used for the same thing.

My guy is mellow and has never tried to bite.But gets a little crazy when its feeding time.He will strike all over before he finally hits the mouse.
I would never just grab a snake either.I always let them know whats going to happen.I almost got bit by a very hard sleeping blood python once.After that I always touch first and make sure they are awake and ready.Then pick them up..Not had a problem since.

05/02/11  05:09pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2216980

Got a black milksnake

pics didnt work, so i googled it, pretty nice looking snakes, largest in north america as well, very cool. i have the largest rat (everglades) and the largest milk (black) maybe i need to get me one of those to finish the collection. i appreciate all the info from this chat, good to hear it from someone with actual experience, thanks. keep an eye out for threads started by me, so you can see my little girl grow up, bought a good camera just to capture it, and i plan on posting pics often.

05/02/11  05:13pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2216999

Got a black milksnake

Hmmm bummer cause I can see them in the post from my pc here. Wonder whats up! Oh well. Anyhow glad to have talked and added some input for you. I was the same way when I got my first BM too :) Definitely will keep my eye out for progression threads of your little lady! My best to you both!!!!

05/02/11  06:14pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Lovin2act   In reference to Message Id: 2217011

Got a black milksnake

hey how low can these guys go temp wise. my new setup is constant 73 is that ok or should i provide a warmer spot for her as well?

05/26/11  03:09pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area