Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Milk Snakes Forum

Xkabx   Tupi1   Xkabx   BMJbirds   Xkabx   Russell55   Xkabx   Xkabx  
 Member  Message

Xkabx
View Profile

Gaigeae. true black milksnake

picking up one of these guys later this week. been reading as much as i can find on them, cant really find much in the way of owner reviews, so anyone here ever have a l.t.gaigeae.? any tips or advice ill read it. i think i really scored on this one, the breeder contacted me looking to buy some asfs for her neonatals, i asked what she had and she told me, then i asked if she would consider a trade and now im getting this awesome snake for asfs!! my asf farm pays off yet again.

03/03/11  12:45pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2207911

Wow good luck for you.I have a black milksnake.He’s great.Easy going personality, great feeder.In fact rather insane when food is involved and will strike at anything that moves.I find them super easy to care for, they prefer cooler temps then most snakes.I keep mine at room temps with just a small basking site(uth) set at 88-90.He rarely uses the basking site.He does love his cool hide, it has spaghum moss in it that is kept damp and its a favorite place for him to burrow in.
As long as you dont get them too hot, they are fine.They eat alot too.After having boas and pythons I had to get used to feeding him twice as often as them.

03/18/11  04:54pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2210266

i still havent got him yet but really cant wait, i have bp and hes a big chicken, so much that thats what i named him , the chicken snake. i got bored with his chicken attitude and got an everglades rat snake and hes a friggin nutjob i call him psycho. i figure this milksnake should fall right in between which is cool with me. if you got time post some pics

03/18/11  08:27pm

BMJbirds
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2210314

Hi, I just joined today....A friend of mine gave me 4 Black and 3 multicolored milk snakes..
I just got a female from him tonight 6 feet long....my question is how do you tell if it is a Gaigeae. true black milk snake? Very beautiful snakes.

03/18/11  09:04pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: BMJbirds   In reference to Message Id: 2210327

i have no idea how to tell, but if you posted some pics im sure somehere could tell, plus id get to see them. congrats on the new pets, i cant wait to get mine, and when i do ill post pics and you can compare.

03/19/11  07:20pm

Russell55
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2207911

Gaigeae. true black milk snake

I also have a pair of gaigeae. The male is about 5 1/2 ft. long and of unknown age. We got him as an adult about three years ago. The female is younger, about two years old and is about 4 ft long. I’m going to try breeding them this year. And as Tupil mentioned they need cool temps, moist environment,(not wet), and are generally easy to handle.

03/27/11  04:59pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Russell55   In reference to Message Id: 2211675

picking him up tomorow, cant wait he is still so tiny im really excited to see the color change, i have another color changing snake an everglades rat snake and its pretty awesome to see first hand. is your two year old black yet?
i was told room temp works fine for them, i have no way of cooling except a fan will that work. also you say moist not wet what do you mean like 60%?
any other advice you wanna input i will read. thanks

03/28/11  09:35pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2211883

i picked up my gagee hahah ill never spell it right. got my baby black milksnake home today, what a friggin awesome little snake i was opening the container she was in and i could see she wasnt scared it was more like let me out i wanna check u out. beautiful snake as well, her yellow is almost neon like it would glow in the dark almost a shame shes gonna be all black, i say almost cause i like the black too, with this snake you get the best of both and get to watch the transformation. the breeder said she just shed and was prolly very hungry so try feeding, and she ate. i have questions for any one who owns one of these cause im scared to have a snake this cold i have balls and a everglades rat im used to heating, so im wondering what you do for heat/ maintain temps. any info will be appreciated

03/29/11  05:23pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area