Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Milk Snakes Forum

Embryo_spit   Peter54   Embryo_spit   Improvius   Candy_Corn   Peter54   Alligater   Fergie   Misce-FL   Grimmyxp the old xp   Embryo_spit   KiruSama   Embryo_spit   Nemo-de-wonder-snake   OwlsHaveEyes   Candy_Corn   Mayakoala   Under snaker  
 Member  Message

Embryo_spit
View Profile

Uber rare snake...?

Iíve yet to figure out what type of milksnake I have... Subspecies, hell maybe even a kingsnake.

A friend of mine was doing some reading in a snake book (he wants his own now that heís over his fear of them by handling my 3 babies) and he saw a picture of a snake that looks EXACTLY like Juxtapoz. Apparently, is was called something something Ruthvens. Now I know many of you will pipe up with NOOOO ITS NOT A RUTHVENS BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH, Look, I get it. Iím just trying to figure out what the heck kind of snake I have. Any imput is appeciated. Anywho, APPARENTLY Juxtapoz is a type of albino milksnake, with pigment (EMPHISIS ON THE APPARENTLY) as the book said, apparently so rare, not many breeders know it exists.

SSSOOOOOO.....Still grasping at straws to figure out what he is, but I thought Iíd share. Iím still trying to contact the breeder, but as of now, I just parade him around thinking "Neener Neener" to myself, ícause my snake is uber rad.

This is him in case anyone missed it.

12/17/07  09:09pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Embryo_spit   In reference to Message Id: 1549694

Uber rare snake...?

Iíve commented on this snake before and Iím still convinced that it is a Lampropeltis mexicana, I would guess thayeri. If not a pure L. m., so at least a mix with one. The other half I would guess is a Ruthvens. Nobody can convince me that this snake is a milksnake.

12/18/07  03:55am

Embryo_spit
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 1549980

Uber rare snake...?

At first I was leaning towards the possibility of a Kingsnake also!!! Iím torn between the two worlds I guess, the breeder said it was a MExican Milksnake...But....I tend to call him a liar...Because apparently snakes can live together according to him. Hmm.

I just wish I had another picture of a snake that looks like him, or some way of counting his stripes or something concrete. Bah.

12/18/07  01:19pm

Improvius
View Profile

Message To: Embryo_spit   In reference to Message Id: 1550190

Uber rare snake...?

I was going to go with alterna, but the head doesnít look quite right. Do you have a closeup?

12/18/07  06:08pm

Candy_Corn
View Profile

Uber rare snake...?

Well, I canít help much, but I think Peterís opinion should be pretty respected, but you can try the kingsnakes and see if you can get some more input. I think heís really neat looking, though. Nice find!

12/18/07  07:34pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Embryo_spit   In reference to Message Id: 1550190

Uber rare snake...?

You can always try to find a lead in the taxonomic records of the "suspects", such as counting upper and lower labials, subcaudals and so on. There are differences between the different species and subspecies of most milks and kings.

The idea of separating milks and kings as if they were totally different familys is not quite right. The kingsnak and the milksnake are two species along with 6 other species to the Lampropeltis family. In other words, milksnakes could have been called "tricolor kingsnakes" or anything else.

12/19/07  02:17am

Alligater
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 1550843

Uber rare snake...?

http://www.pitt.edu/~mcs2/herp/Lampropeltis.html
check out this web-site it has all the kings and milk snakes and it has pictures
maybe this can help

12/19/07  06:17pm

Fergie
View Profile

Message To: Alligater   In reference to Message Id: 1551239

Uber rare snake...?

At a guess i would say Alterna/Thayeri

12/20/07  09:07am

Misce-FL
View Profile

Uber rare snake...?

Embryo,
Here are pics of my "normal" ruthvens and my albino ruthvens (Lucy and Linus). Yours may have some in it, but I donít think itís all ruthvens king. It is really pretty though.

12/21/07  05:19pm

Grimmyxp the old xp
View Profile

Message To: Misce-FL   In reference to Message Id: 1552918

Uber rare snake...?

could it be a Utah Milksnake or Jalisco Milksnake

12/21/07  06:16pm

Embryo_spit
View Profile

Message To: Grimmyxp the old xp   In reference to Message Id: 1552969

Uber rare snake...?

Iíll take a look at those links guys, thanks a ton. And with counting, what exactly am I counting, like scales or...?(Still working on "snake-terminology") Iíve noticed once I switched from a rubbermaid bin with papertowel on the bottom, to a very large tank with things to climb, and a coco bark/aspen shed mix, Juxtapoz has been burrowing. Not really sure if this is specific to milksnakes or kingsnakes but I thought Iíd let yaíll know. Hereís some new pictures and I tried to get the best headshot possible, heís very wiggly!

This is his new tank, the lid slides open, locks, came with a stand and all the accesories you see (I added the vines) for only 150 bucks! That was an AWESOME Christmas gift. His humidity was low so I mist the tank every other day or so. PS: Accurites rule.

Notice how he matches the walls? My other x-mas gift is the cobra ring, the boyfriend found a peice of jewelery Iíll actually wear!

This is his "Mooommm stop taking pictures of me!" face. Heheheh.

He has red markings over his eyes, almost like red eyelashes...if snakes had eyelashes. This is our Christmas picture, so..Merry Christmas!

- Hanah & Juxtapoz

12/26/07  05:21am

KiruSama
View Profile

Message To: Embryo_spit   In reference to Message Id: 1556521

Uber rare snake...?

I Canít help you at all with what type of snake you have, but I just have to say how PRETTY he is!

12/28/07  02:27pm

Embryo_spit
View Profile

Message To: KiruSama   In reference to Message Id: 1558913

Uber rare snake...?

Heeeeheheheh thank you. One of these days, I would LOOOOOVE to go to a herp exchange and see if anybody is familiar with his type!

12/28/07  08:52pm

Nemo-de-wonder-snake
View Profile

Message To: Embryo_spit   In reference to Message Id: 1559354

Uber rare snake...?

I dont know it looks like a kingsnake to me but that is just my opinion I do have to say that is one fine snake u have it is so pretty

P.S im jealous!

01/01/08  05:12pm

OwlsHaveEyes
View Profile

Message To: Nemo-de-wonder-snake   In reference to Message Id: 1564276

Uber rare snake...?

It looks like a Black Milksnake to me...Does it keep getting darker as it sheds?

01/28/08  04:35pm

Candy_Corn
View Profile

Message To: OwlsHaveEyes   In reference to Message Id: 1598519

Uber rare snake...?

Unfortunately, her snake passed away. There is a post about it on here called "An unforgiveable mistake."

01/28/08  06:44pm

Mayakoala
View Profile

Message To: Candy_Corn   In reference to Message Id: 1598713

Uber rare snake...?

I’m not great on snakes and the lighting is kind of dark, but that almost looks like a grey-banded kingsnake to me.

04/12/08  07:07pm

Under snaker
View Profile

Uber rare snake...?

That snake you have is a grey banded king snake.

06/09/11  04:03pm

Back to Milk Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area