Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Lost-Escaped-Herps Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lost-Escaped-Herps Forum

Kleinsha   Kleinsha   Lose Control X   Robyn2leigh   Robyn2leigh   Sw1c   Sw1c  
 Member  Message

Kleinsha
View Profile

Y.A. Lost corn snake- but just a baby!!

Hey-
I have read a few posts about lost snakes, and have seen some ideas..My concern is that my corn snake is just a baby, about 10 inches long, 1/4 inch diameter. Got out 4 days ago. Today is feeding day. I put a pinkie on the floor where the cage was, close to a gap in the floor and wall where I suspect she may have gone to hide. There are also registers in the area, but I think the AC was on when she escaped- she wouldnt go there, would she? I have taken register covers off, vaccuumed, and tried to check the furnace downstairs, but no luck. This is a really old house, so closing doors is not helpful, since there are considerable gaps, and she is tiny. Additionally, she escaped overnight, when the 2 cats were out. I suspect the cats were likely sleeping, and that she would have been too fast to be eaten...plus, there were no traces of a kill. So, when trying to recover a tiny one, any other options?

09/13/05  04:00pm

Kleinsha
View Profile

Message To: Kleinsha   In reference to Message Id: 477595

OK, so no replies yet. An update though-
It has been 2.5 weeks. I have tried the traps with the funnel and 2 liter, placing them in areas where I think a more likely hide spot would be. I have torn apart closets, bookshelves. and under rugs and carpet. I dis-assembled the fridge and stove, but no luck. I have had the furniture upside down and inside out, to no avail.
I know it is pretty soon yet, and people talk of finding their babies months later, but I am really concerned as to how long a baby can live without food. She only eats tiny pinkies, as her diameter was only 6-7mm. She wonít have the body stores to last as long..and I donít have mice or other infestations to keep her fed in the interim. How long can she realistically survive??
In the meantime- I will still put out traps, and hope for the best.

09/26/05  01:39pm

Lose Control X
View Profile

Message To: Kleinsha   In reference to Message Id: 491368

Realistically... maybe 2 months.... A very independent snake- 4 months... try putting flour under doors... put a couple of pinkies about, it will smell a little bit. look under beds and in heaters (if you have them). Check the stove burners...I heard one got down there once... yeesh. It is probablyu on the floor you lost it... good luck.

11/08/05  04:25pm

Robyn2leigh
View Profile

Message To: Lose Control X   In reference to Message Id: 535912

i just lost my baby corn snake i really Iím worried i miss him i got his coconut hut (sleeping spot) and put powder under the coconut Iím very scared i dont know how long he will last Please please please if anyone knows how long a baby corn snake will live outdoors.i also put water out. since i just lost him today Iím not that worried Iím going to spend the night downstairs just in case he will show up.....where can i find him! i miss him will he stay alive help me help me Find my baby!

12/09/05  10:05pm

Robyn2leigh
View Profile

Message To: Kleinsha   In reference to Message Id: 491368

dont worry Iím suffering from my lost corn snake i just got him to i miss him please if you find yours tell me and help me where i can find mine

12/09/05  10:10pm

Sw1c
View Profile

Message To: Kleinsha   In reference to Message Id: 477595

I have lost my snake as well, she is a 6 month red albino. Was on phone with wife and heard grocery bags kinda crinkle but since in apartment thought nothing of it shortly after i went to bring her out for some attention and she was gone. i have checked everywhere i can i have a few ideas where she may still be but i cant get at the spots myself, anyone have any ideas how far form cage area they usually go? all i know is once i find her the lid i got i gunna complain to pet store about as it isnít snake proof like they said snake still got outta it when they told me she cant(stupid people) and these are herp members form around here very disappointed
but ya back to topic any ideas on distance please let me know Ive laid traps and stuff in hopes of finding her

11/10/06  09:38pm

Sw1c
View Profile

Message To: Sw1c   In reference to Message Id: 1055883

dont give up let us know if you get urs back sheba(my corn) returned, read my other post youll see how (sapce heater useful) so dont give up hope ok

11/12/06  09:06pm

Back to Lost-Escaped-Herps Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area