Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Lost-Escaped-Herps Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Lost-Escaped-Herps Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chompyrich   Catt   Chompyrich   Jordom5   Donafr   Cash   Hamelzz   Cash   Hamelzz   Cash   M14assault   Madegg   Blackmamba01   TNT_93   TNT_93   Hydra86   Becky25   Marmalade   Snake lover12292  

Member  Message

Chompyrich
View Profile

Recapture of lost snake

We had a juvenile black rat snake escape last summer. I looked for him for a month with no luck. When Iíd about given up, I found a shed skin so I thought there might be hope. I did all the things to do (paper bags, towels, heat pads, etc) with no luck. At a reptile expo., I saw a "snake trap" that I thought I could duplicate. Here it is. This is for small snakes only (ones that can squeeze thru the end of a large funnel). Cut the top off a two liter coke bottle, put a large funnel (with the hole about the size of the diameter of your snake) into the bottle, small end inside the bottle. Tape it into the bottle with duct tape. (Donít leave any of the sticky side of the tape exposed as this can kill a snake if he gets stuck and struggles ) now decide where youíre going to put it. (up against the wall near where the snake was last is a good start) Drag a pinkie along the ground to the spot where you will place the trap. Rub the pinkie on the inside of the funnel to create a scent trail, then shove it thru the end of the funnel into the bottle. It took three days (replace with fresh pinkies so you donít have a rotten one in there) to catch the little guy, but he got hungry and went in thru the tube to get the pink. Itís harder to get out than in (they have a lump and its also harder for them to find the tube facing into the bottle) When I checked the trap on the 3rd day, There he was. For larger snakes. I found another after 3 or 4 months. I just kept putting mice in his tank and he would come back and get them when I left the room. One day, I was looking for a hammer in a box of junk near his tank, and there he was. They often tend to stay near where they left, especially if its comfortable for them there (temperature, food, etc..)

08/20/05  12:46am

Catt
View Profile

Message To: Chompyrich   In reference to Message Id: 448160

Recapture of lost snake

thanxs i will use that 4 the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

catt

09/10/05  06:16am

Chompyrich
View Profile

Message To: Catt   In reference to Message Id: 473575

Recapture of lost snake

you can also cut the top off the two liter and just turn the top into the bottle and tape it in. the hole is bigger, but easier to escape. if you use the funnel method, just make sure the funnel is big enough in diameter for your snake to fit thru w/o getting stuck!

10/01/05  11:20pm

Jordom5
View Profile

Recapture of lost milk snake

My father was bringing my snake to show someone and it got into the seat and when he tried to haul it out, it was in there too good so he didnít want to hurt it so he left it and when he went to look for it he couldnít find it and the snake a a milk snake, i cant get pinkies where i am now but i have a mouse in the trunk to see if it goes for it, think Iím doing something right.?

05/15/07  03:34pm

Donafr
View Profile

Recapture of lost snake

pls can u post or send me a pic of trap cos i cant really understand how the snake gets in the bottle and how come the pinkie doesnt get out. i lost my boyfriends king snake on Monday and i have turned the house upside down trying to find her. she escaped from her vivarium and I really want to find her before my bf gets back from holiday...

07/05/07  11:39am

Cash
View Profile

Message To: Donafr   In reference to Message Id: 1346608

Recapture of lost snake

Hi. i was going to hold my corn the outher day when i could not find him/her in its cage.So later i got looking all over the place and could not find him.Then i had an idea,about a month or so ago i begen breeding mice to save money and i had 3 almost full grown mice and 2 full grown mice in a cage.SO i though would my little corn try to get one and when i looked in the mice cage a saw 2 dead mice and one FAT corn snake in the cage he eat all but 2 and the 2 he did not eat he just killd and lift them there,after eating all that he was so fat he could not fit through the bars to get away.And now all i have left is 2 dead mice and a FAT corn.(i will put a pic of hin asap)

Thank you for reading
Cody

07/19/07  03:00pm

Hamelzz
View Profile

Message To: Cash   In reference to Message Id: 1365706

Recapture of lost snake

Whats a pinkie? a shaved, dead mouce i gues?

07/19/07  10:20pm

Cash
View Profile

Message To: Hamelzz   In reference to Message Id: 1366420

Recapture of lost snake

no it is a baby mouse there are called pinkes cuz they are pink and have no hair

07/20/07  01:28pm

Hamelzz
View Profile

Message To: Cash   In reference to Message Id: 1367171

Recapture of lost snake

OH! thanks

07/20/07  04:07pm

Cash
View Profile

Message To: Hamelzz   In reference to Message Id: 1367381

Recapture of lost snake

yep

07/20/07  09:29pm

M14assault
View Profile

Recapture of lost snake

well... my snake has been gone since augst and he didnt eat or drink water ever since so im really worried about him. its a baby just like yours. but do you still think i have a chance? this is the first time a snake has ran away from me so i onno really wat to do. where did u find the snake trap? ive been searching all over for him, but i couldnt find him anywhere.

09/30/07  02:11am

Madegg
View Profile

Recapture of lost snake

Iíve just read your story and advice and found it very useful. My daughterís 3 foot bairds rat snake escaped yesterday(she dropped it) and Iím almost certain he has gone down a hole in the floorboards.We made a basic trap from a box with a flap in it and placed a pinky in it,then put it near to the hole.The only problem is he only fed a couple of days ago so Iím not expecting any results immediately,but hearing the success stories of snakes being recaptured has given me hope as my daughter is devastated.Iíll keep you informed if he returns.

10/07/07  03:59am

Blackmamba01
View Profile

Recapture of lost snake

i just lost my snake prolly 1 hour ago and just found him what i did was turn down the thermostat to about 50-55 degrees put his tank by the bathroom with the heating light in front of it and 10 min latter he was in the tank

02/23/08  08:17pm

TNT_93
View Profile

Recapture of lost snake

a pinkie is a very small baby mouse. they are pink since they have no fur being too young. they are good for small snakes who cant eat full grown mice

11/24/09  12:18am

TNT_93
View Profile

Recapture of lost snake

Did you ever find the snake?! i lost my king snake... hes just a little baby.. =[
i went to check on him and he is usually hiding under the shavings and he wasnt anywhere to be found.... there are soooo many tiny places he could be i dont know what to do or how to lure him out. i dont like waiting until he feels like coming out b/c i spend to much time worrying if he is alive... hes like my baby

11/24/09  12:20am

Hydra86
View Profile

Message To: TNT_93   In reference to Message Id: 2098177

Recapture of lost snake

Please help!

I lost my female cornsnake yesterday. (~60cm)
I try to find her but nothing.
The problem is that she should lay eggs in the next month.
How can i find her?

12/31/09  04:57am

Becky25
View Profile

Recapture of lost snake

hi there, i own a kingsnake which is a little over 4ft, he escaped about 4 days ago and ive looked everwhere i could possible think, i have put boxes down with fresh water, food and heatmats underneath, and he took 1 mouse about 2 days ago but has dissapeared again, i am now trying the bottle trap and hoping like hell it works, i also keep the viv door open so he can get back in, i was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions

02/26/10  08:56am

Marmalade
View Profile

Message To: M14assault   In reference to Message Id: 1462577

Recapture of lost snake

Hey.... Look... I really feel for you, my baby corn is missing too, i went up to my room to see them, and the door was slightly open, and both of them were missing, one turned up that night, but the other has been missing two weeks now. I have left out pinkies and they haven’t been eaten. BUT... i spoke to a professional, and he said that baby corns can survive for months, and adults can last almost a year! They don’t really need water. I suggest turning your radiator up a lot, and then putting a pinkie near it.... your snake will want warmth and food!. If the pinkie is gone soon, he/she will still be alive. The guy also said that when he found his corn which had been missing for 3 months it looked really healthy and quite plump!
They sometimes eat spiders and stuff (YUK) and get water from condensation etc. Please don’t give up... I love my snake, and i will not give up until i find him.

11/13/11  02:01pm

Snake lover12292
View Profile

Recapture of lost snake

its a baby mouse

09/21/13  08:27pm

Back to Lost-Escaped-Herps Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area