Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Lost-Escaped-Herps Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lost-Escaped-Herps Forum

DKB   _kyle_   Shauny   My_wan   Neur0tix  
 Member  Message

DKB
View Profile

Ball Python Missing!! Any tips?

My ball python has escaped! 2’ long and MUST be in the house somewhere.. No ventilation / air conditioning in house. Doors and windows have been closed since incident. Need tips for recovery! Checked all over so far but this is a needle in haystack scenario. Please give any advice on traps or simple tips on how to locate / catch this python. Any help would be GRATEFULLY accepted! Thanks!

01/09/07  08:36am

_kyle_
View Profile

Message To: DKB   In reference to Message Id: 1126017

put crinkly things all over he floor and lay scent traps

01/24/07  12:49pm

Shauny
View Profile

put powder on floors so that you can see where he has traveld.

p.s. don’t laydown sugar

04/16/07  10:51am

My_wan
View Profile

I see a lot of lost herp post here. Using powder is a good idea but a well fed snake can stay put for weeks if well fed and in a comfortable hiding spot. Using scents to lure him out as suggested is not a bad idea.

They usually find the warmest places to go. Refrigerators, utility rooms, etc. Furniture is some of the hardest things to find them in. Don’t forget the box springs on your bed. I always rip out the liner on the bottom to make internal inspection easier. Inside the arms of sofa chairs and the back of couches are very difficult but likely places. At floor level cabinets have a toe area next to the floor. Some designs actually have an opening allowing them under the baseboard below your sinks etc. I always close these off and make the bottoms removable as it allows mice and rats easier access in your house also. Very likely place as it usually has the smell of mice etc.

A little preparation can help a lot. Put weatherstripping at the bottom of doors even on the inside of your house. You can buy cans of spray foam that expands and seals cracks and crevices around water pipes and fill any holes you find, even small holes. You can use tube and tile caulk for the smaller ones. Latches and shims should be on all lower cabinet doors. Searching is a laborious job. I would start near were it escaped and use towels to prevent movements under doors as it will probably take several days. Move any furniture to an easily searched room that is blocked off and systematically go over each room. I once found my escaped specked king snake inside a large conch shell. He was almost 4 feet long yet a few scales is all I could see of him inside that shell.

04/16/07  01:01pm

Neur0tix
View Profile

Try this. Take a live or dead mouse and run it against the wall / baselines.... after that, if your using a dead mouse put it in a shoebox with just a big enough hole for him to get in, and make sure its next to the wall on the floor... it won’t trap him, but if you put a heating pad under the box, your snake will likely eat it up and stick around for digestion..... no guarantee on how long he will stay, but it might work

OR, use a live mouse and put it in a trash can or tall bucket. Make sure you design a way for him to get into it. I lost my BP and used this method, with a 1 1/2 foot tall trash can, and i laid a shelf from an adjustable metal rack unit against the trash can for him to get in.

Stick some sand or something heavy on the bottom of whatever you use so it doesn’t flip. I put sand and aspen to cover it.

Ironically, my king snake is missing at the moment..... lol!

10/10/10  05:59am

Back to Lost-Escaped-Herps Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area