Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Wolflady2223   Billbert   Snakes guy   Sasim8800   ViT   Snakes guy   ViT   Billbert   Lair Of Dragons   Billbert   Warlock   Warlock   Gizmo_32712   Warlock   B-Fish   B-Fish   Bob11   Lopo   Nile/water monitors   MisterKabob   Terzula  

Member  Message

Wolflady2223
View Profile

I have a great idea but i need help

I live in Connecticut, and I am thinking about possibly opening a non-profit reptile rescue. I was wondering if anyone either had an information that would help me with this, or if anyone was interested in helping me to create it. I have some ideas already set, out but i really need someone who is somewhat experienced to give me some advice.

any ideas appreciated!!

08/02/07  12:20pm

Billbert
View Profile

Message To: Wolflady2223   In reference to Message Id: 1385192

that would be cool but my mom might have some thing to say but if you got a bunch of people around the us you could send it animal to the closest person. :)

09/17/07  04:14pm

Snakes guy
View Profile

Message To: Billbert   In reference to Message Id: 1447094

yeah if you could get like poeple in a bunch of different areas and states that could really work. I would definetly want in on that.

09/17/07  06:11pm

Sasim8800
View Profile

Message To: Snakes guy   In reference to Message Id: 1447263

I was thinking the same thing... I want to open a non-profit organization as well. Ive already taken in 6 different lizards and eventually found them new homes... and theres probably another 5-6 that I will be getting this week. I wonder how you go about doing something like that...

If anyone finds out any information, please let me know...

I live in Texas...

09/17/07  06:18pm

ViT
View Profile

Message To: Sasim8800   In reference to Message Id: 1447277

i have decided im actually trying to open a petstore in the near future, but if someone gets that started definitly contact me. send me a pm though.

ViT

Cambridge, Maryland

09/20/07  06:23pm

Snakes guy
View Profile

Message To: ViT   In reference to Message Id: 1450825

if you start a pet store let me know cause i would love to know what you would be getting plus i live right over in virginia and could stop by or something next time i drive that way lol

09/20/07  07:23pm

ViT
View Profile

Message To: Snakes guy   In reference to Message Id: 1450922

it wont be for another year atleast. gotta save up some cash and im going after a business degree aswell. i still want it to happen though. im working my way to it.

ViT

09/21/07  05:52pm

Billbert
View Profile

i have a spare ten gallon Ill do it and i would like help but if no won will Ill do it alone plz pm me or post here with any lizards and snakes but i would prefer to only take things that eat insects plz respond:)

10/17/07  11:07am

Lair Of Dragons
View Profile

Message To: Billbert   In reference to Message Id: 1481375

I can give you some basic info, you have to have very thick skin and deep pockets. Our non profit rescue runs in the red and stays there. Almost every reptile we bring in is vet checked and I get a discount from our vet because of the amounts that we bring to them. If you have other reptiles you do not want them near your collection. You have to have a seperate room to keep them until they are safe to add to your population. The thick skin is needed because most people will only contact you when its knocking on deaths door and there is nothing more sad then knowing when you see it for the first time that it probably will not make it, usually they have taken it to the vet and do not want to pay for the problem to be treated or spend the time it takes to treat the problem. We run our rescue seperate from our breeding, but the only way they cross together is the profit from the breeding is adsorbed by the rescue. You have to really love reptiles and want to do whats best for them and not worry about the cost or time it will take to nurse one back to health. You grow very attached to every single one that you constantly have to medicate or hand feed and know that all your effort to keeping it alive is up to the reptile. Most of the time the results are not good. You need to find your local vet that can and will work with you and make sure they have the knowledge and resources to help. You also need a 24 emergency vet close by because I know you will see them and they are not cheep. Try rushing a sick, convoulsing iguana to the vet at 3 am and spend over 200.00 just for it have passed away by 9 am. Most of our rescues are adopted out only when we see that they are ready and the adoptee is experienced and has the means to care for it. We only charge a 25.00 adoption fee and sometimes we dont charge at all and to date we have spent over 7500.00 this year at the vet. You do the math. You get constant emails of people wanting your reptiles and you have to screen them to the max. Out of 50 emails and applications usually you only find 1 or 2 that will qualify as an adoptee, most just want it for 25.00 so they can turn around and resale it for a huge profit. My wife is at home 24 hours a day and that is the only reason we run a rescue so they have constant observation and I work 70 hours a week and my time off is spent taking care of rescues and our other pets so if you are going to run a rescue be ready because you will be full in no time, you will open your door one morning and a box will be sitting there with some sick or dying reptile that someone dropped off in the middle of the night to ashamed to be faced by you and you have no background info on the reptile.
The thought of a rescue is a great idea and if you need any help just let me know.
Travis
Lair of Dragons

10/20/07  10:19am

Billbert
View Profile

Message To: Lair Of Dragons   In reference to Message Id: 1484240

oh well i wont had no idea that in a small town that an 11 year old would be trusted that much its a great idea but thank you but it wont work for me but i have a freind how might wont ball python i dont think hed be qualified but i might be able to help him out:)

10/21/07  11:51am

Warlock
View Profile

Message To: Billbert   In reference to Message Id: 1485221

I also live in Connecticut. what part are you from? we can maybe get something going. Ive been wanting to start a rescue for years

10/22/07  01:38pm

Warlock
View Profile

Message To: Warlock   In reference to Message Id: 1486449

bump

11/01/07  07:23pm

Gizmo_32712
View Profile

Message To: Warlock   In reference to Message Id: 1497932

id love to be in with that as well i have many empty tanks in various sizes and love reptiles as well and would do anything to help them i have alot of animals that i have taken in as well that werent well taken care of like my burmese i got her when she was very close to death she had been keep in a 20gal long tank and she was 4 ft and sitting in 3 inchs of water for god knows how long they would open her cage for fear of getting bit so they dumped water through the top of the cage and feed her once a month she is now 10 ft and doing great calmest snake i own it took 4 months before we finnaly got a whole shed from her

11/02/07  05:28pm

Warlock
View Profile

Message To: Gizmo_32712   In reference to Message Id: 1498943

where do you live?

11/03/07  07:55pm

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: Warlock   In reference to Message Id: 1500060

I live in St.Cloud Minnesota and love animals count me in

11/04/07  11:03pm

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1501683

I need to get a Job Im four-teen I know 14 year olds dont get payed much just minimum wage but its better then having no money. When i have money i spend it on my animlas and nothing els i have turned down many offers to go places with my friends the Mall the Movies and alot more i am very deticated to my animals i just cant see why other people arnt either.

If you fingure out something contact me for sure
thanks

11/04/07  11:12pm

Bob11
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1501695

im from WA. state and would love to help, but im 11 to. and i dont think my mom would let me.

12/19/08  11:14pm

Lopo
View Profile

Message To: Bob11   In reference to Message Id: 1917539

im 13 years old , and i’ve delt with anything from anoles to chameleons to iguana;s i used to work at a petstore and i was head of the reptiles department. i upped there sales because i made them healthier and i talked the man into using bigger cages for there sales reptiles =] anyways i’d love to help you out i live in illinois not to far from chicago if theres anything i can do to help andy advice or so on just send me a message... i love the idea of a reptile rescue... theres nothin like that out here and i would dedicate all my time to it. i started with reptiles when iw as about 10 and ionstantly fell in love. sadly i myself had to give away some reptiles because they out grew my limits(and my moms approval) but with a rescuee i would know they went somewere safe.. that would feel a lot better and i’d love to help such a great cause. but we would need funding look for sponsors animal control centers like the spca might help.... who knows count me in tho i want a part of this a reptile rescue i think would really bring notice to the severity of the cruelness some people treat there animals in... my policy is this. get ur supplies first theres always an animal waiting for a home and if u lack money then dont get the lizard not only your wallet suffers.. your lizard suffers and eventually ides

12/27/08  08:38pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Sounds like a " nation wide network " of non-profit reptile rescuers would be a great idea, if they could set up a good working network of knowledgeable people who could share questions, answers to gain all the information needed to house and properly care for each animal rescued. You would have to educate the new owners of proper and complete care of each animal, diet, temperatures, humidity, proper enclosure sizes, the weekly cost of food, electric, etc. You know, all the " right "care information up front. Unlike some pet store "employees" that sell animals with little or no real information on how to care for this new addition to the family. Some people buy these animals because they are cute and really don’t know what they are going to put the animal through in allot of cases. Come to think about it, I don’t think many pet stores have said much more than feed mice, crickets? But, I have and still go to some pet stores that do go the extra mile to help. A network where all the reptile rescues could have access to each other for advice, information, and information on what a rescuer could house until adopted, could be a great idea if someone could pull it all together. I would like to be part of something like that. I’m near Erie Pennsylvania.

12/27/09  11:04pm

MisterKabob
View Profile

i live in Slo California im 13 and i don’t know if my mom will let me but if so COUNT ME IN i have loved lizards for ever one year in 3rd grade i started a lizard club in school where i talked about lizards and how to catch them and properly take care of them, after that lots of the kids in school respected and treated lizards good not for scaring people with and they took care of these animals and we would let them go at the end of the day.... it was fun.... im getting off track but count me in if it is okay with my mom

12/28/09  11:45pm

Terzula
View Profile

You may try US gov.com for info on starting a not for proffit in your area. There may also be local regulations and red tape to jump through. I know tax breaks are available. With the ever-growing population of reptile and exotic pet keepers out there, it is a rat iea. I would like to recomend an educational aspect to the adoptions as well as fund raisers involving a hands-on approach with the reptiles and other animals interacting with the people...especially the children! Best of luck!

07/31/12  08:43pm

Back to Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area