Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kcard5   LanieFaith   Celewing  

Member  Message

Kcard5
View Profile

When to turn heating lamp on and off?? New to this and need help!

Hello! I am new to owning a leopard gecko. It is only 3 months old. I’m having ahead time figuring out when to turn the heating lamp on and off.. I keep reading that the warm side should be between 80 and 90 during the day and the cool side should be 70 to 75 during the day. I do have an under the tank mini heater on the warm side. I recently went into a pet store and she said she turns the lamp on from 7pm to 7am and to not turn it on during the day be side it will overheat my gecko. But when I do that the tank during the day ranges between 70 and 80, meanwhile, I see that it can be in the lower 70s at night. I’m so confused! When should the red light be on and when should it be shut off? I don’t want to over heat her but I don’t want her to be too hot or too cold. Please help!

09/21/17  10:02am

LanieFaith
View Profile

Message To: Kcard5   In reference to Message Id: 2321292

First off, you shouldn’t even have lamps. They are way too bright for your geckos eyes. It’s just like staring right into the sun but 3x worse because of their vision.(Plus they only take in heat from their bellies) And I have a leo that is two. She does just fine with room temp. She just goes to where it is warm when she needs it. So.. lamp-- no. Room temp and heat mat-- okay

09/29/17  08:13am

Celewing
View Profile

Message To: LanieFaith   In reference to Message Id: 2321329

My Male Leopard Gecko enjoys his heat lamp, but I have a red heat light bulb in as leopard geckos cannot see red. Therefore it’s not too bright for sensitive eyes ^-^. I keep a small table lamp on next to his tank on during the day to tell him it’s day time. At night before I go to bed I switch the lamp, heat lamp and heat mat off. My house stays at 75 degrees by itself so it is in range for the cool temperatures they like. It’s natural for them to have a drop in temperatures at night, so as long as your house stays at 75 degrees or above it should be fine to turn the heat sources off at night. Make sure your gecko has a hide on either side so he/she can move whenever they get too hot or too cold. I also got a heat mat to help keep the warm side’s floor warm. But it also gets switched off at night.

09/29/17  07:09pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area