Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jdevlin0223   Takahiro111   Eris  

Member  Message

Jdevlin0223
View Profile

New to leopard gecko!! Help please!!

I have had my leopard gecko lily for almost 24 hours she came from Petco. I bought her a 10 gallon tank, daytime bulb/lamp, carpet bedding, hiding spot that has stairs and a platform on top to be close to the warmth, a swimming area/ water bowl, and some black colored pebbles in a corner. Humidity is averaging 45 and temp is around 82-85 and 74-79 at night when I turn her light off. I’m giving her baby crickets and meal worms she hasn’t eaten so far and she seems to lash out anytime my hand is in the tank. If she is picked up the squirms and opens her mouth wide open like she is going to bite. I’m scared she isn’t comfortable. Am I doing anything wrong? I want her to warm up to me and love me and I want her to be able to relax with me at night when I’m watching tv or something. What steps can I take to make sure she is not stressed, feels comfortable I her home and has trust in me? Please help me. Thank you.

01/15/16  01:13am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Jdevlin0223   In reference to Message Id: 2316554

Only problem I see is the hot spot is too low. It should be 90-low 90s with an ambient air temp in the mid 80s and you also need to let the Leo get use to its new environment, he’s acting this way because he’s scared.

01/15/16  01:38pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Jdevlin0223   In reference to Message Id: 2316554

Best thing is to give her time. Its so tempting and hard to restrain from playing with a new pet. Its a big change for a little gecko to go from a pet store to a new home. Try to not handle her and keep her in a calm and quiet area until she settles in. Make sure to give her plenty of hides, she will feel more comfortable to come out in the open and be less defensive if she knows there is a safe place to hide close by (I have 3 hides for my Leo).

After a few weeks, slowly start getting her used to your hands and work up to holding her. Be sure to use slow movements and try not to approach her from above (that is what a predator would do). And if she runs and hides, don’t go after her, let her feel safe in her hide...when she comes back out, you can try again. Food is always a good bonding technique-when she is settled in, try feeding her a treat-like wax worms- with tweezers. That way when she sees you approach the tank she can associate you with a yummy treat.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

02/05/16  09:50am

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area