Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Yin   KrazyKelli   Yin   Lily918  

Member  Message

Yin
View Profile

Leo’s Eyes/Blindness

Hi all,

I’m new here and unfortunately I come with bad news and needing help.

I have a one year old female leopard gecko named Yoko. Up until a few weeks ago she was bright, alert, a great eater, etc. I am ashamed to admit that after recently giving birth to my first child I neglected her and my other leos (ages 3yrs. - George, and 13yrs. - Cutie).

I feel so guilty, and what is worst of all is that I am having a hard time convincing my husband that Yoko needs to see a vet... And she does, big-time.

It started with some retained sheds around her eyes. I kept using saline solution and a q-tip to try and moisten the shed and peel it away. I was only moderately successful. Unfortunately, she shed again while I was away visiting family, and this time the shed is stuck and dried to both of her eyes. She can’t close them. I’ve been trying to soften it up and get it out of there... I can’t even begin to imagine the pain and discomfort she’s in and I feel terrible about it!

I’ve been trying to hand-feed her - it is not going well. She has lost some weight and tomorrow I am going to see if I can get her to swallow some chicken baby food.

Is there an ointment I can purchase for her eyes? Is there anything else I can or should be doing?

She lives on paper towels and has an under-tank heater. I spray down the inside of her hide over the heater once a day.

Please don’t beat me up too badly - I really feel awful for letting things get as bad as they have. I know it’s no excuse.

Hopefully I can convince my hubby to let me take her to the vet...

01/01/13  11:38pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Yin   In reference to Message Id: 2288667

Leo’s Eyes/Blindness

Leo would really be best off if it did see that vet. If your husband doesn’t help, maybe you can get a relative or friend to assist you temporarily in the matter and pay them back later.

Outside of that, you should start a warm soak regimen. Get a tubbermaid container with a lid that you no longer care for, poke some holes in the lid, and fill it a centimeter deep (leo ankle deep) with luke warm water. Put the leo in there for 10 minutes, twice a day, to loosen the shed.

Don’t worry about how you may have done your leo wrong. The importance in all of this is that you noticed there was a problem and are doing something about it. I’m sure we can all understand how involving having a child is, and no one will hold the blame against you for retained eye shed. It can happen to any leo.

If this was a shedding issue altogether, also check all of the leo’s toes so there’s no loops cutting off circulation down there.

01/03/13  09:43pm

Yin
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2288809

Leo’s Eyes/Blindness

Hi, thank you for responding... I was wondering if this forum was active or not...

Yoko is eating chicken babyfood... She spits out worms now and I am soaking her multiple times per day. Her toes and everything seem fine but her eyes are a mess. I feel so guilty. Husband is still refusing to take her to the vet, so I’m doing what I can.

She has developed a painful lump on the side of her mouth. I’ve tried loosening it without any luck and when I touch it she tries to bite me - I know it must be very uncomfortable!

I was wondering if maybe there is an ointment I can use safely on her eyes to get the shed off? I’m pretty sure her vision is permanently damaged, unfortunately.

She is otherwise active, moves around regularly, and drinks. She already seems as though she’s gained a little weight and has pooped twice. Not "good" poops, just urates, but she is holding down (and dare I say - enjoying?) The baby food.

I’m not really sure how much to give her, but I’ve been using a brand-new eye-dropper, about 1 1/2 inches in length filled up with the slightly watered down (and added phos-free calcium) baby food at least twice a day. I don’t want to overload her tummy.

Thanks again for replying and the moral support... I can’t tell you how deeply ashamed I feel for neglecting her.

(Out of curiosity, my other two geckos are kept in the exact same manner as Yoko, but only she seems to have issues with shedding, and that all started fairly recently. That made me wonder if it could be more than environmental, and should I move her into another room? All three geckos are housed separately, but on the same stand)...

Thanks again.

01/06/13  05:49am

Lily918
View Profile

Message To: Yin   In reference to Message Id: 2288984

Leo’s Eyes/Blindness

just keep working on the shedding and don’t worry about over feeding. leopard geckos eat until full and will stop when full they won’t over eat.

10/11/13  06:26pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area