Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

The Lone Glider   Ziraous   Lily918  

Member  Message

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Question

Hello, I have had Leos for 4 years now, I currently have 3 and they are all in a 20 gal long tank, the first 2 are around 2-3 years old, and the third is a (i’m guessing) 4-5 month old. The other 2 are clearly bigger then Smiles (baby), but I am making a 6ft long 3ft wide and 3 ft tall cage, with plenty of hides, Would it be okay if they all stayed in one big thing? I have 1 male and 1 female and I’m not sure if the last is a male or female yet. I kinda just want to put them all in on thing, but I want to make sure everyone thinks it’s okay? Thanks.

10/03/12  03:06pm

Ziraous
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2282004

Question

Because it is still a baby I would say no. You don’t know if its a male or female yet and if the male senses its a female it could try breeding. Also, size does matter. One or both of the bigger leos may start picking on the little one. Now, if you put dividers into the tank that would be fine. I don’t think however that the tank will be long enough for that.

Lastly if you put the male and female together there is a possibility that the male will over breed the female. I’ve seen and heard about this happening. I keep all my Leo genders separate. The only exception I made was for a clutch mate. Because the male actually was starting to become suicidal when he was on his own. I had him in with a female who wasn’t a clutch mate and he was wanting to breed with her all the time. So I decided to just try and have him with his clutch mate and he only bred with the female during breeding season.

I hope this helped!

})i({
Domi

10/17/12  10:49am

Lily918
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2282004

Question

I agree with the above do not put them together. the baby could be picked on. male and female together could mean constant breeding which is no good for the female. it is best to keep them in separate tanks. you can put the tanks next to each other to form one large display but best not to put them all in one.

10/11/13  06:49pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area