Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gibbsfamily   Rae rae   Heathersmom   Rae rae  

Member  Message

Gibbsfamily
View Profile

Watery eye / shrinking tail

Wondering if anyone has any advice for us. We have had our lizard for 3 years now and had gotten him when he was small. He’s grown quite a bit and done great until recently.

His tail began to thin and we had thought about the possibility of impaction based on what we’ve read here. However, he does not have sand in his tank (reptile mat). He has had a consistant diet of meal worms and crickets (more meal worms than crickets). His location in the house has remained the same the entire time as well.

The other concern we have is that his left eye has been watery when open. Often times he will try to keep it closed. We do not see shed or any sort of object in his eye.

We feel that there is a possibility that his tail thinning is only a result of his lack of appetite due to another injury, likely his eye. Any ideas? We have seen people post about using saline in the eye with success and thought we might give that a try. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

05/02/12  10:28pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Gibbsfamily   In reference to Message Id: 2265128

Unfortunately I don’t think any advice here will be as good as the vet’s. Sounds like the little guy needs to see the doctor. I know I saw my exotic vet with one of mine on losing weight. She had no eye problem, just losing a little weight. She (the vet) told me that leos need to be wormed at least twice a year. And of course intestinal parasites can cause weight loss, appetite loss, etc. But something seems to be going on with his eye...which probably needs vet attention. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

05/10/12  08:44pm

Heathersmom
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2265980

Leopard geckoes store fat in their tails, so a shrinking tail means they’re living off that stored fat. Be sure to take him to the vet for the eye. They are sight feeders, so if they can’t see their prey they can’t eat. A couple of months ago my little guy started having eye problems. He bumped into things and wasn’t eating. I took him to a PetsMart vet (don’t have any exotics vets here in town) and she looked up some stuff on line, said that his vision problems were probably the result of an incomplete shed. I left with a $50 inch-long tube of ointment, which hasn’t helped. Right now I’m hand-feeding him (not an easy thing since anything that touches him scared him) and will find an exotics vet as soon as school is out next week. Good luck!

05/24/12  07:50am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Heathersmom   In reference to Message Id: 2267468

Well don’t feel too bad. My first hatchling of the year had problems with its right eye. Ointment didn’t help either. Actually ended up rupturing. So now, it still can see with one eye and is actually continuing to eat....as long as the worms/crickets are on its good side. Poor things.

05/27/12  07:23pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area