Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rae rae   Scrupadumpolus  

Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

In line breeding

Okay, so once upon a time, I had just 2 leos. One female, normal...and one male, patternless. I bred them, then advertised the babies. Of course they all came out normal het patternless. Which I didn’t even know this terminology at that time. A guy called me and began asking me about them. He is the one that explained to me what I had...and terminology. He is like the only other local breeder in my area I found out. He has since actually become pretty well known...and everyone knows who he is now in the area. He breeds other reptiles as well...especially the fat tails.

Well he told me that if I want patternless babies just to breed a daughter back to the patternless dad. Of course I was very hesitant at his idea. He assured me that first generation breeding was okay, but not to go any further than that. So I followed his advice. By now, I had a couple more females I was breeding as well.

This turned out to be a horrible idea!! All of my babies were kept in the same type of environment, fed the same, same temps, same everything. All of my babies thrived, and were sold. However...and it’s been so long I don’t remember now the time frame, all of the inbred babies began to look different. I had actually already sold one of them...which I had to replace for free...EMBARRASSING! They all began to have "soft" jaws where they couldn’t even eat. All of their limbs looked to be like jelly.

I felt horrible because when I noticed it...I don’t know how long it had been going on. I ended up having to take every single one of the inbred babies to the vet for euthanasia. I felt like a moron!! Like I should’ve known better! The only thing I can figure is that it was because of the inbreeding??? I really don’t know. All other babies were completely fine...sold and never got another complaint with any other ones.

Oh yea!!!! ALMOST FORGOT!!!...one leo (inbred) actually hatched out with under developed eyes!! It could not see at all!!!! That was the straw that broke the camel’s back!! After having to euthanize that one (which was the last of her eggs in the incubator), I was done breeding her all together. I didn’t know if it was her genetics...or the inbreeding. I only have one male (her dad) and so I decided to never breed her again either way. I ended up selling her to another individual.

Just wanted opinions on this. Does it seem like that was because of inbreeding? I mean it does to me. Or does it seem like some other kind of possible disease? Have not even bred again since then...just getting back into it...and now I’m wondering.

02/27/12  12:47am

Scrupadumpolus
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2256995

In line breeding

I wouldn’t inbreed. Just see if someone has a petternless you can rent( buy for breeding only) then breed like that

06/30/12  10:10pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area