Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Zeus_Iggy   KrazyKelli  

Member  Message

Zeus_Iggy
View Profile

Young leo escaped, how long will he last w/o food?

My young leo (like 4 inches long) escaped 2 weeks ago. i put out worms for him a couple days after he escaped but no luck. i just bought some fresh ones and i am making a better effort to keep him a little warm setup with water and food. how long can a little guy survive without care "/ also i checked the whole house and im pretty sure he is on the move (or was). i put his setup in my bedroom near under the bed and turned off all the lights.

01/13/12  04:43pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Zeus_Iggy   In reference to Message Id: 2250904

Young leo escaped, how long will he last w/o food?

Depends on the environment and the leo in question. I’ve known of leos (as well as other geckos) who’ve escaped and were found alive a year later. Some, however, find mummies or the lizard by smell. Which is not good.

I suggest looking in areas that are warm and dark. Look behind or under or around the washer/drier, around the fridge, heating vents (and hope your leo didn’t slip into one), etc. Leos also love being under things (like entertainment centers), under desks, hidden under sheets, and in closets. Some leos like corners. If in a closet, don’t always assume the leo is on the ground. They can climb up clothing with their little claws and hide in them, or on shelves. All that’s outside of leaving out food (like a bag of active crickets) and a lamp at night in the center of the room. Aim the lamp at the ground or a flat towel and watch. Don’t assume the leo is going to climb back into the tank.

I wish you luck on finding him again.

01/13/12  06:08pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area