Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tupi1   Back-woods Gecko   Puddy   KrazyKelli   Packie   Hacksaw  

Member  Message

Tupi1
View Profile

Can two males live in a big aquarium together?

I have a 55 gal I want to turn into a leo colony.
Will that prevent males from fighting if its that big?

I have a friend who has a male female pair that she will give me.I have a male,(I think).I need to post a pic of mine to be sure.His tail is deformed and pushed up against his body so I cant tell if he has bulges or not.The pores look female, very small and hard to see.But I could swear this guy has bulges.
So it could go either way.

09/11/11  03:51pm

Back-woods Gecko
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2236530

You’d be able to provide more places for the males to hide from each other in a 55 than in a smaller enclosure, but a 55 gallon enclosure will not stop male leos from wanting to kill each other. Males will almost always fight when introduced and can seriously injure each other. There have been rare situations in which two males that have been housed together from a young age get along, but I wouldn’t take the risk if you do have a male. If you already have the large enclosure and your current gecko is a male, I would consider making or purchasing a divider to safely house the geckos in the same enclosure.

09/11/11  10:34pm

Puddy
View Profile

Message To: Back-woods Gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2236608

Hi
I know this dumb but need to ask.can’t two males live together without any females?or will they still fight?

03/11/12  08:56pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Puddy   In reference to Message Id: 2258453

They have more reason to fight than just females. Males are territorial as well, and want to ’own’ a certain amount of ground for themselves. This cannot be provided between two males in a 55 gallon tank, or even larger. So you’ll still get the tail dance and fights at the dead of night until one male ’wins’ and gets it all to himself, since they’ll constantly be able to see each other and be in contact.

03/13/12  12:38am

Packie
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2236530

I have 2 males currently living together in a 55 gallon tank and they never fight and sometimes they cuddle together. If there is a female involved it will most likely change. Also one of the males was close to death and had to be nursed back to health, that may have something to do with their friendly else towards eachother

03/21/13  03:29am

Hacksaw
View Profile

Message To: Packie   In reference to Message Id: 2294090

Male or female, it is never a good idea to introduce another gecko into a gecko’s enclosure that has already been living by itself for a considerable amount of time. All gecko’s to an extent are territorial, no need to put the extra stress on them.

03/24/13  05:04pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area