Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lee1977   Lee1977   Lizards and more   HerrL1116   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   HerrL1116   KrazyKelli   HerrL1116  

Member  Message

Lee1977
View Profile

Gecko advice

This is my boy i got today

I do have a few questions

Heat mats can most be used under sand?
What tempetures do they give off?
Nightlight i have heard blue mentioned what is the difference between blue and red?
Am i correct in thinking a leo doesn’t need a uv light?
thanks in advance

08/23/11  07:30pm

Lee1977
View Profile

Message To: Lee1977   In reference to Message Id: 2233988

Gecko advice

Ok i am guessing sand is a big NO NO is this correct?
I will probably go for some type of carpet.
I still would like to have the heat reliant in his new Viv reliant on heat mats inside the Viv as ithas a thick wooden bottom. Is this going to be possible?

08/23/11  08:02pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Lee1977   In reference to Message Id: 2233997

Gecko advice

sand is a no no. Try tile i heard that the carpet can sometimes get their toes caught in it and then their toes might get injured or ripped off. um not sure about the heating pads but i think its a fire safety hazard with the wood

09/01/11  09:15am

HerrL1116
View Profile

Message To: Lee1977   In reference to Message Id: 2233988

Gecko advice

ffff44# we go heat mats you stick under the cage its important because it helps them digest without one they will refuse to eat. One will probably stick uner 25% of their cage so no need to worry it won’t give off too much heat to cook them, they are desert geckos you know, nightlights their is no difference I use a black one so it won’t disturb me when I sleep but if you wanna observe them at night get a red light a bulb is just a bulb. Make sure too get a thermometer so you can observe how hot it gets, over 90 go lower in wattage under 80 go higher. Leos do not need a uvb I have never heard of a leo getting MBD but it does help them get calcium.

ALSO DON’T USE SAND, TILES OR PAPER TOWELS IS WAY BETTER AND WON’T GIVE THEM IMPACTION!!!!

11/27/11  10:42pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: HerrL1116   In reference to Message Id: 2245507

Gecko advice

Funky stuff.

Sand is bad, as leopard geckos will eat it. There are many solid-substrate alternatives, some having been mentioned. Papertowel is most common and easiest to clean, repticarpet can be self cleaned but can get raggedy over time, tiles are great (stick with the rough kind), slate is Wonderful, and then non-adhesive shelf liner. Whichever substrate you choose will vary the heat absorbed by a UTH or lamp.

You can use a UTH or a lamp. So long as the ground of the tank is hot on one side and not on the other. UTH goes under the tank on one side, lamp goes over tank (also on one side). Dimmer helps control UTH heat. And the best thermometer out there to measure temps is a digital thermometer with a probe (measures ground heat specifically).

Temps should be in the low 90’s on the hot side with a 5 to 10 degree drop to the cool. The whole thing mentioned about ’leos not eating’ is that leos cannot digest food if they are not given enough heat in the tank. Such is the life of a cold-blooded creature.

I’m mostly just patching up the other posts. Lots of confusion up there.

Oh, and leos can and will get MBD, Herr... They have to have the calcium with the d3 once a week. It’s not an option. MBD is So freaking common out there it isn’t funny. It’s almost as common as impaction. Go to google and type in ’leopard gecko with metabolic bone disease’ and go to ’images’.

12/02/11  11:12am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2245916

Gecko advice

Adding onto my other post (answering questions from post 1)

Your leo looks amazing. Congrads!

Already answered the heat mat question (and how to control the temps it has)

Both blue and red are acceptable. Blue emits heat without lighting up the tank, and leopard geckos cannot see the color red - so it has the generally same effect. Red makes the leo easier for you to see at night, when they are most active.

Leos are nocturnal, and thus don’t need UV lighting (as UV is transmitted by the sun). If you want to get one, it will by no means hurt the lizard. In fact, I’ve found that leos get more vibrant with the added UVb. UV’s use is to help the gecko absorb and metabolize calcium, which in turn helps the bones grow strong. That’s what led to the whole discussion about MBD out of nowhere. Instead of using a UV bulb, you should dust the bugs you feed the lizard with d3 calcium/vitamins once a week. It has the same effect, just more direct.

And... I think that about covers everything =D

12/02/11  11:23am

HerrL1116
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2245916

Gecko advice

Really? aint that something i have never had a leo with MBD haha but then again i always leave calcium in their cage

12/04/11  03:45pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: HerrL1116   In reference to Message Id: 2246166

Gecko advice

Word.

On the by, you should be careful about that as well. There’s another preventable ’illness’ out there called ’D3 toxicity’. That comes from dusting the insects with d3 calcium daily, or having the leos in contact with d3 calcium at all times. It has similar effects as MBD, starting with listlessness and a drunken walk.

But I’m sure you keep pure calcium in the tank at all times, and that - since it’s d3-less - is safe. Just so long as the d3 is a once a week thing, everything’s cool. I’m just typing all this info out so other members wont get the wrong idea. It pays to be descriptive.

12/04/11  09:41pm

HerrL1116
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2246220

Gecko advice

yeah i have zoo med calcium with no D3.

12/05/11  11:55am

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area